'Amateur Photographer' article on UK Lockdown restrictions for amateurs & professionals

8 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

I have no idea what 'freedom of expression' and holding a press pass has got to do with anything.

Well,  seeing as freedom of the press is actually the  imparting of  information and ideas. It has a lot to do with it. A press card is just telling others you belong to an organisation.

All you need to do is follow the law that the government makes. Guidelines are not law and that is why i recommended  people read Adam Wagner's Twitter feed above.

Edited by Cee Dee Dickinson

2 hours ago, Cee Dee Dickinson said:

Well,  seeing as freedom of the press is actually the  imparting of  information and ideas. It has a lot to do with it. A press card is just telling others you belong to an organisation.

All you need to do is follow the law that the government makes. Guidelines are not law and that is why i recommended  people read Adam Wagner's Twitter feed above.

The UK Press Card is issued through mayor agencies (think BBC, Sky, Reuters, Getty) and organisations such as the British Press Photographers Association or the NUJ. This means that the suppliers/members are know to the agency and that they can vouch for them being fully time bonafide news gatherers and make a living from it. It means that these journalists and photographers are gathering news in a professional capacity. There is nothing wrong with that. 

• Love 1

12 hours ago, vpics said:

The UK Press Card is issued through mayor agencies (think BBC, Sky, Reuters, Getty) and organisations such as the British Press Photographers Association or the NUJ. This means that the suppliers/members are know to the agency and that they can vouch for them being fully time bonafide news gatherers and make a living from it. It means that these journalists and photographers are gathering news in a professional capacity. There is nothing wrong with that. 

Holders of Press cards are also subject to limited background checks, criminal records, intelligence databases etc.  As PAL Media states it does allow, in certain specified circumstances, entry to restricted areas.  It also serves a gatekeeper function for potential accreditation for media coverage of events such as Trooping the Colour (my favourite) the Cenotaph ceremony., non-public events and the Press Pens at cinema premieres- although I have never done this.  

My recent experience in Westminster and Essex, and discussion with officers is that, in their view the only acceptable credentials for photography during the lockdown is a press card.  I would add that even possession of that is not always “protection” against threats of arrest or officers preventing the taking of photos.  

• Love 2

12 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

in their view the only acceptable credentials for photography during the lockdown is a press card.

Well they are quite wrong about that. But as you say knowing that they're wrong won't stop them throwing their weight about. Unfortunately they have the cuffs and the tasers..

• Love 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Well they are quite wrong about that. But as you say knowing that they're wrong won't stop them throwing their weight about. Unfortunately they have the cuffs and the tasers..

Not to mention, around Westminster at least, firearms......

6 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

My recent experience in Westminster and Essex, and discussion with officers is that, in their view the only acceptable credentials for photography during the lockdown is a press card.  I would add that even possession of that is not always “protection” against threats of arrest or officers preventing the taking of photos.  

curious, does your government written documentation match this interpretation.   

I am stuck in a catch 22 situation in a different regulation that my function is listed in writing as "essential", told verbally "only go out if necessary based on judgement", but on other level not doing your job based on own decision "disqualifies for assistance", made worse as some people have now been asked to refund prior assistance based on retroactive clarification of intent of rules.

note: i do not need the assistance, but i put myself in shoes of others in my situation and would understand the total frustration many are facing.

4 hours ago, PAL Media said:

And quite right, as press card holders are considered key workers according to current guidelines

you guys are lucky.  My regulations (Ontario) are not specific. I am essential (written), but supposed to use my judgement to decide if it's necessary (verbal), and to Stay home.

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

19 hours ago, PAL Media said:

I'm just printing out my 'freedom of expression' cards, does anyone else want one? They will allow you unimpeded access to 10 Downing Street and other guarded government buildings, just present it at the door! No personal checks whatsoever, criminal past? no problem 😂

I'm just using law mate. I do not need the NUJ's permission

6 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

Good luck with that

Served me well so far mate

here is an example.

I was once in a park photographing some skateboarders and bmx riders. A woman approached me and asked me to stop. I explained  politely  i do not need her permision , she went on to say these children are in social care and may be at risk. I stated. ok i'll not take any pictures that can identify them. She walked away and returned to her colleagues.

• Dislike 2

"You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

shop for basic necessities,
for you or a vulnerable person
go to work,
or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home"

As you can see you do not need the NUJ's or any other organisations permission. All you need to do is show the authorities you are going or have been to work.

12 minutes ago, Cee Dee Dickinson said:

"You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

shop for basic necessities,
for you or a vulnerable person
go to work,
or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home"

As you can see you do not need the NUJ's or any other organisations permission. All you need to do is show the authorities you are going or have been to work.

I assume that your main photography work lies elsewhere because 148 images on Alamy in 5 years might make the authorities wonder about the nature of your 'work'?

But then you just started a thread about whether you should 'stretch your wings' to other stock agencies so that give the impression that this is the only place to you contribute to.

I think most of us, regardless of legal quibbles, feel that it is best that we follow government scientific advise and stay at home unless it essential to go out for very specific reasons. Randomly shooting stock photos is not essential even if you want to argue that it is your 'job'. 

Of course, if photography is your actual job, working for a newspaper or an NUJ accredited photo-journalist then that actually is work.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I assume that your main photography work lies elsewhere because 148 images on Alamy in 5 years might make the authorities wonder about the nature of your 'work'?

But then you just started a thread about whether you should 'stretch your wings' to other stock agencies so that give the impression that this is the only place to you contribute to.

I think most of us, regardless of legal quibbles, feel that it is best that we follow government scientific advise and stay at home unless it essential to go out for very specific reasons. Randomly shooting stock photos is not essential even if you want to argue that it is your 'job'. 

Of course, if photography is your actual job, working for a newspaper or an NUJ accredited photo-journalist then that actually is work.

I do not need accreditation from any organisation or any person, including yourself

• Dislike 3

6 minutes ago, Cee Dee Dickinson said:

I do not need accreditation from any organisation or any person, including yourself

Out of interest what is the photography work that you need to do?  

Or is this more of a libertarian stance based on your right to ignore scientific advice to stay at home?

• Love 3

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Out of interest what is the photography work that you need to do?  

Or is this more of a libertarian stance based on your right to ignore scientific advice to stay at home?

None of your business. 

None of your business.

• Dislike 5

6 minutes ago, Cee Dee Dickinson said:

None of your business. 

None of your business.

I'll interpret that as:

1) You have no actual need to be out taking photos 

2) You objections are political

I'd add that attitudes such as these which are all about your personal freedom are putting lives at risk.

But I am glad to see that you put a mask on since I first met you. 

• Love 3

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

I'll interpret that as:

1) You have no actual need to be out taking photos 

2) You objections are political

I'd add that attitudes such as these which are all about your personal freedom are putting lives at risk.

But I am glad to see that you put a mask on since I first met you. 

You can interpret it how you want, your thoughts are irrelevant.

• Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, NYCat said:

You guys keep responding to someone who seems to not have anything better to do. I know. I shall deserve any red arrows. But really. I'm tired of these endless "disputes"????

Paulette

No dispute. Nothing to worry about. 

Endless?

Ended.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, NYCat said:

You guys keep responding to someone who seems to not have anything better to do. I know. I shall deserve any red arrows. But really. I'm tired of these endless "disputes"????

Paulette

Me too. Lets try to stick to facts like the law of the land.

17 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Randomly shooting stock photos is not essential even if you want to argue that it is your 'job'. 

A lot of people seem to misinterpret this. The law doesn't require the work to be essential, only the journey.

As an example I explained why I haven't travelled to take stock images, but the reason I haven't isn't because it would be unlawful- it wouldn't. I have travelled with my other hat on because you can't repair a 250kg film editing machine anywhere but in situ. Therefore, essential journey for work.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but if even the police can get it wrong so can forum members.

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

A lot of people seem to misinterpret this. The law doesn't require the work to be essential, only the journey.

As an example I explained why I haven't travelled to take stock images, but the reason I haven't isn't because it would be unlawful- it wouldn't. I have travelled with my other hat on because you can't repair a 250kg film editing machine anywhere but in situ. Therefore, essential journey for work.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but if even the police can get it wrong so can forum members.

I wasn't suggesting that this was a matter of law just sensible guidance that most people seem willing to abide by for the common good. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

A good post @spacecadet. Thank you for your contribution.