3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm going to venture into another dangerous area—ethnic generalities. I found that Latino, Hispanic, people are less concerned about having their children photographed.

Agree in my experience in Nicaragua. 

A lot of what's going on in the US/UK is moral panic.  The moral panic in Anglo cultures is coupled with denial that the man a woman just married, the grandfather, or the uncle or older cousin could be doing such a thing.   Latin cultures tend to be more realistic.

I think contemporary Anglo American culture is the outlier and that most of the rest of the world is more realistic about the dangers and who is likely to be the problem. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

In India I have had people hand me their babies and children to hold so that they can take their own photo with me in their family group. Culture Shock does not exclude Culture Delight. I personally find paedophilia paranoia much more prevalent in the UK than in Quebec. Maybe still a hangover from the toxic newspaper campaign from 25-odd years ago (and I'll raise a hat to the fantastic Chris Morris and his episode of Brass Eye here)

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Tough times for paediatricians in Britain. 

Remember this (in the UK from 2000)?

Doctor driven out of home by vigilantes

Being a parent makes one especially wary, perhaps. I know that it heightened my awareness & sensibility of certain situations and individuals. But these types of people (easily led, the uneducated & the paranoid) have always been around. When surrounded by 256 shades of gray, they can often only see black and white. And on the rare occasion when there is only black and white, they can be convinced that one is the other. Just look at world politics, right now.

Edited by losdemas
  • Love 4

Regardless of the niceties of a photographer being in a public place, Many schools set their own rules. I even encountered one which had an informal understanding with the police who considered that as legally binding. Of course they were wrong but picking a fight with a school is probably unwise. I do adopt the fly-on-the-wall approach to photography; not sneaky but not obvious either. My Pentax K-5 is very capable but doesn't smack as Pro gear. If you spend a lot of time in the area of street photography you will encounter objections but that is not to say accusations of possibly being a paedophile is acceptable

I went to my local park today and my wife says, no, you're not taking your big camera, so I took my RX100mk3 and whilst I was there I saw loads of people taking pics in the snow, mainly with mobile phones, some with small cameras, but at least two with DSLRS and one with what must have been a 600mm lens shooting across the lake towards a family.

I doubt that any were paedophiles and struggle to think why, if they were, they would be taking pics of kids where you can hardly even see a face for scarves and wooly hats.

The teachers in my grandaughters school in Northern Ireland post hundreds of pictures of the kids on their own, open, Facebook page and I find it absolouley refreshing that the paranoia hasn't stopped them doing it... yet!

• Love 1
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was hoping for a South-of-the Border observation from you, MizB. Gracias. 

I think the past in our culture was more realistic about where the dangers come from.   I was in an 18th century house in rural Virginia which has two staircases to two upstairs rooms separated by a solid wall.  "Boys' bedroom on one side; girls on the other," the woman whose ancestors built the house told me.   I suspect that most cultures are more realistic about harm coming from within the family, friends of the family, and authority figures (priests, teachers) than from random strangers.

South of Managua has had one gringa suspected of being creepy.  The incident was out in the countryside and didn't involve photography.   She was cleared.

More suspicion of men who want to teach English to young children for free not connected with a school.  One expat guy (not a retired teacher but an active alcoholic with no adult sex partners) found that people here wouldn't allow it.  

On 09/01/2021 at 08:13, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Are pedophiles actually interested in pictures of clothed children? If they are, there is plenty to be found in the internet with no risk of being attacked by the mob.

I suspect that for many of them it's the thrill of taking the photo that turns them on.

Alan

I really don't think that I would like it much if some guy with a camera just arrived and started taking pictures of my kids when we sitting in the park or on the beach. 

Okay for a snap then to walk off and snap something else but to stand there and shoot picture after picture I think i'd be getting annoyed. Nothing to do with photographer rights just an honest reaction of a father. 

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I really don't think that I would like it much if some guy with a camera just arrived and started taking pictures of my kids when we sitting in the park or on the beach. 

Okay for a snap then to walk off and snap something else but to stand there and shoot picture after picture I think i'd be getting annoyed. Nothing to do with photographer rights just an honest reaction of a father. 

I have a Thai-Chinese net friend who got very irritated by a white photographer who was following and taking multiple shots of his Thai-Chinese wife while his family was touring some historical site.   There is a point where fascination with the Other gets creepy.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I have a Thai-Chinese net friend who got very irritated by a white photographer who was following and taking multiple shots of his Thai-Chinese wife while his family was touring some historical site.   There is a point where fascination with the Other gets creepy.

I remember at Solala, Guatemala around 1990 taking photos of a festival where people dress up in masks of Spaniard invaders. Everybody was outwardly very friendly and I snapped away. And because nobody objected I, in my western way, probably thought that meant I had tacit licence to continue, get closer, keep going, push further, into their allowance of me.

Then I was called up short as a tassle string of my rucksack had been tied without me knowing to a post. And when I went to walk away I got jerked back.

Poignant moment, they all knew, and we all smiled. Lesson learnt.

• Love 2