Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We are told not to use misspelt words in our keywording, captions. However, I was miffed to find a recent image search last month that appeared in the 'have you found' thread of 'Santa Paddleboarders' and none of mine were seen.

On further inspection it appears that the researcher had used the term 'Santa Paddle Boarders' which throws up 41 images (but none of mine)

This throws up the conversation of how many different variants of a word should be used :D

The question is the same for:

Kitesurfer; kite-surfer; kite surfer

Windsurfer; wind-surfer; wind surfer etc.

Although I think the dash isn't used in Alamy.

I have up to 134 different variants of 'Paddleboarders' if I include men, women, beach, lake, etc

Which brings me back to my point of being DISAPPOINTED that none of my Santa paddleboarder images got a look in¬†ūüėė (they will now)

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very disappointing when the buyer searches for misspelt words, but of course that's always a possibility. So far, I haven't purposely added incorrect keywords, though sometimes I have thought about it. One obvious example over the last year is coronavirus. I've noticed that quite a few contributors incorrectly put corona virus split into 2 words, and I sometimes wonder if it's worth adding that as well as the correct coronavirus. Some picture buyers search for the 2 word version.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just call those alternatives.

PAL is right, Alamy ignores hyphens, but doesn't collapse the two words together. So mis-spellings stays as two words and you need both. Close up and closeup is another good one.

As for coronavirus, if you have a look at AoA, there are 40 times fewer searches for the two words separately. Unless I had a smoking high rank I probably wouldn't bother with a ratio like that.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that in your question you have this spelling problem:

 

"If you're unsure whether to use "misspelled" and "misspelt," use "misspelled."
If you're following UK writing conventions, you can use "misspelt," but it has been less popular than "misspelled" since the mid-1970s."

 

In the USA, we (they) use only "misspelled." 

 

I use commonly misspelled versions of words. Paul, you can changed or add words to your caps and tags, right? I have suffered from dyslexia every day of my long life. 


 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ed Rooney said:

suffered from dyslexia

I prefer to think that you have an automatic spelling-variant generator built-in, Ed.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I prefer to think that you have an automatic spelling-variant generator built-in, Ed.

 

ūüėȬ†I'll try to look at it that way, Mark. I did work for 10 years as a copy editor, which is close to unbelievable.¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

since the mid-1970s

Funny you should say that, that is when we moved to Spain (I was 9) and even though I am now back in the UK, I have gaps in my 'English' and wouldn't know the difference!

Link to post
Share on other sites

These aren‚Äôt strictly misspellings IMHO.¬†They are variations. I wouldn‚Äôt put ‚Äėdesert‚Äô for ‚Äėdessert‚Äô but I do include words that may or may not have spaces such as paddle boarding, kite¬†surfing/boarding, coronavirus etc.¬†¬†I¬†also use Covid19 and Covid 19. I don‚Äôt bother with hyphens in my tags.¬†

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to put both versions for words that people might not be sure if they're separable or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sally said:

These aren‚Äôt strictly misspellings IMHO.¬†They are variations. I wouldn‚Äôt put ‚Äėdesert‚Äô for ‚Äėdessert‚Äô but I do include words that may or may not have spaces such as paddle boarding, kite¬†surfing/boarding, coronavirus etc.¬†¬†I¬†also use Covid19 and Covid 19. I don‚Äôt bother with hyphens in my tags.¬†

Ah, the culprit of my misfortune ūüė≠ūüėÖūüėĀ

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

Ah, the culprit of my misfortune ūüė≠ūüėÖūüėĀ

If you mean that the search resulted in one of my images being used, I don’t think so, since any recent uses (as far as I am aware) were live news which couldn’t have been the result of a search.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

since I was a boy, spelling has been a problem. I've just learned to live with it, but these days many people and institutions just can't be assed. Social messaging and rapid thumb inputs on mobiles mean it's just not relevant to many. Why should database searches be any different? Your deliberate and accidental mistakes will affect which images emerge from the abyss of any image collections

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

second-hand and second hand.

As I said, I've checked this.  You only need one or the other. The hyphen is ignored.

I use the space as it saves typing

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use alternative spellings where I think there may be a problem with getting it right on the searchers side of things. I have had a few sales bought on the mis spelt search term before now. For instance: For Valletta (correct) in Malta. I also use Valetta and Valleta.

 

Webby

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VbFolly said:

It's very disappointing when the buyer searches for misspelt words, but of course that's always a possibility. So far, I haven't purposely added incorrect keywords, though sometimes I have thought about it. One obvious example over the last year is coronavirus. I've noticed that quite a few contributors incorrectly put corona virus split into 2 words, and I sometimes wonder if it's worth adding that as well as the correct coronavirus. Some picture buyers search for the 2 word version.

 

 

not sure i agree that it's incorrectly.  It may be through research, or expanding reach of images.    Understanding buyers is important part of business.  

 

Also usage changes over time, when the crisis started there was quite a few usage of "Corona Virus" in Media and searches, so if i had created my template KWs then i likely would have it on all my future image even if it changed. 

 

 

 

Edited by meanderingemu
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sally said:

If you mean that the search resulted in one of my images being used, I don’t think so, since any recent uses (as far as I am aware) were live news which couldn’t have been the result of a search.

Ah, sorry I didn't see the date!

Link to post
Share on other sites

note that splitting words and misspelling , though some rewards, also increases chance of False positive so this has to be weighed 

 

out of curiosity i did search how many results for "boarder"  there was, where you would now also potentially appear.  

 

Forgetting to put % % around, i got only one results for:"Boarder art Mexico"¬†ūü§Ē.¬† ¬†Not going to rush and include that one any day soon .¬† In fact most of searches for %boarder% with word on it's own, are spelling mistakes of border....¬†¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

not sure i agree that it's incorrectly.  It may be through research, or expanding reach of images.    Understanding buyers is important part of business.  

 

Also usage changes over time, when the crisis started there was quite a few usage of "Corona Virus" in Media and searches, so if i had created my template KWs then i likely would have it on all my future image even if it changed. 

 

 

 

I just meant that splitting it onto 2 words is scientifically incorrect. Of course the media often use incorrect terms, so it might be a good idea to include both options in keywords. My previous career was as a researcher in bacteriology and virology, and always had to be precise with scientific nomenclature in papers, etc,  so I'm probably more pedantic than I should be!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

I just meant that splitting it onto 2 words is scientifically incorrect. Of course the media often use incorrect terms, so it might be a good idea to include both options in keywords. My previous career was as a researcher in bacteriology and virology, and always had to be precise with scientific nomenclature in papers, etc,  so I'm probably more pedantic than I should be!

 

 

i understand, i can actually be pedantic on usage of word also.  I will insist on using words like "mediocre" and "decimated" to their etymologic definition, knowing full well audience will perceive them in another sense through common misuse .  But for something where it affects my likelihood of selling, i will roll along with the customers.  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

Whoever gave me the red arrow, look at the emojis, it was clearly said in jest ūüôĄ

 

 

can be a problem with forum post, they are read as per the reader.  i actually have to thank whoever once went on a red arrow attack on my account last year (which Alamy actually never addressed) it has made me stop caring about them

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PAL Media said:

Funny you should say that, that is when we moved to Spain (I was 9) and even though I am now back in the UK, I have gaps in my 'English' and wouldn't know the difference!

 

Poco a poco, Pablo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.