Nikon Will Stop Making Cameras in Japan

6 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

So it's a 1" sensor and it's square.

Bring on the joke.

Back to ......

yep. 😂

wim

No joke. The sensor is scaled down for the announcement and all applications (cars, phones etc). Scaled up for cameras would be around 85mp. Still early days, wait for it.

I bought a used Nikon lens from the 1970's on ebay back in 2006, a 50mm f/1.2 in its original leather case, for $40, paid another $20-30 to have it converted so it fit my old D70 mount. I considered selling it when I switched to Sony and two places were willing to give me over $400 so I checked around and saw that new ones go for over $700 and since it has the best bokeh of any lens I've ever owned, I decided to keep it. Works great on the Sony with an adapter.

I'm so glad I kept this legacy 50mm lens. Wish I'd kept my 24-70mm f/2.8 workhorse. I thought it would be too heavy on the Sony but the Sony equivalent isn't really appreciably lighter. 

So sorry to see how these disasters, the tsunami and the pandemic put this amazing company in such a tenuous position. Those made in Japan lenses are the best and the bokeh on the legacy lenses really can't be beat. Modern standards and glass are exacting but old world craftsmanship is too. 

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

Those made in Japan lenses are the best and the bokeh on the legacy lenses really can't be beat. Modern standards and glass are exacting but old world craftsmanship is too. 

I have a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 ai (next to the last model) that my brother gave me.  Two of the ten recent submissions were taken with my newest lens (Batis 18mm, f/2.8) and the flowers and cat and heads or handles of domestic items were taken with the Nikkor.   Takes me a bit to get back to manual focusing. 

7 hours ago, Marianne said:

So sorry to see how these disasters, the tsunami and the pandemic put this amazing company in such a tenuous position. Those made in Japan lenses are the best and the bokeh on the legacy lenses really can't be beat. Modern standards and glass are exacting but old world craftsmanship is too. 

I don't think Nikon is in a tenuous position. The company is consolidating its manufacturing for efficiency and there is no indication that there is or will be a drop in standards of Nikon products made in Thailand. In the past they may have made the higher end products in Japan but, if they move manufacturing of higher end products to Thailand, it doesn't mean that they will suddenly start putting out inferior products. That would be economic insanity and is an extremely unlikely scenario.  

I can't argue about good or bad bokeh but people who know their bokeh have been raving about the new pro quality Z lenses. Nikon is certainly entering a new era though and they were late to the mirrorless scene but the new products are absolutely top class and build quality seems excellent. No worries I think. 

EDIT: Several of the Z lenses are already made in Thailand including the highly recommended 24-70mm f4 and the 50mm f1.8. These are designated as S lenses which is a new Nikon quality mark indicating pro quality. I don't think anyone is arguing about the quality. 

Edited by MDM

19 hours ago, MDM said:

I don't think Nikon is in a tenuous position. The company is consolidating its manufacturing for efficiency and there is no indication that there is or will be a drop in standards of Nikon products made in Thailand. In the past they may have made the higher end products in Japan but, if they move manufacturing of higher end products to Thailand, it doesn't mean that they will suddenly start putting out inferior products. That would be economic insanity and is an extremely unlikely scenario.  

I can't argue about good or bad bokeh but people who know their bokeh have been raving about the new pro quality Z lenses. Nikon is certainly entering a new era though and they were late to the mirrorless scene but the new products are absolutely top class and build quality seems excellent. No worries I think. 

EDIT: Several of the Z lenses are already made in Thailand including the highly recommended 24-70mm f4 and the 50mm f1.8. These are designated as S lenses which is a new Nikon quality mark indicating pro quality. I don't think anyone is arguing about the quality. 

Glad to hear it.

I guess my first Nikon lens that wasn't made in Japan and was made with far more plastic than I expected, made me think the non-Japanese manufactured lenses were inferior, but as I consider what you've said, I realize it is one of the lenses I kept to use with my Sony and it is fabulous, the plastic also makes it light. It doesn't look as nice and solid as the others, but I can't argue with the quality of the glass.

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Glad to hear it.

I guess my first Nikon lens that wasn't made in Japan and was made with far more plastic than I expected, made me think the non-Japanese manufactured lenses were inferior, but as I consider what you've said, I realize it is one of the lenses I kept to use with my Sony and it is fabulous, the plastic also makes it light. It doesn't look as nice and solid as the others, but I can't argue with the quality of the glass.

It was the case that the lower end lenses were made in Thailand and they were plastic but, as you say, they could be optically very good. It may be the same 50mm lens as you are talking about but the first Nikon lens I bought when I switched from Olympus SLRs was a plastic Nikkor 50mm 1.8D which was really cheap but optically incredibly good. Build quality was not great of course. The new ones for the Z series are much more solid.

First NIKON Inc. has been loosing money on cameras for decades.

For the record my first NIKON was a black SP, pre F mount.  I still have

some old F's, F4s, N90s as well as D700's D800's and a wonderful 70-200 f4, made in 

Thailand.  I used the NIKKOR 80-200 f2.8's since they were introduced and

I would say that the f4 is equal in everyway. 

I am not happy to hear about NIKON closing down factories, but it is like my 2001

Mercedes "They just don't build them like they use to..."

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer
  • Love 1