Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Christine M Baker said:

SFL

 

I am new to Alamy, do you see a lot of $1  sales ?    I don't have thousands of images up yet, I am still uploading,  but the one sale I got was $25.  Is this the average price?

 

One sale I got from another Stock House  was actually  25 cents !

 

Any comment would be appreciated

 

My average price in 2020 was about $45 gross per image. At one time, it was much higher than that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My first two sales of the year were..... Presentations.

 

2D54MCM.jpg

 

FWRF5X.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got one! I was noticing my Mexico City pictures were getting regular zooms, and other people were selling photos from there (same places I visited), so I just recently started going back and uploading more. I have a lot but have been confused about which I can upload without copyright and releases as a lot of them are from museums and historical sites. This is the first one I've sold and my ninth sale over all. I will get my portfolio over 500 this week. Been a bit preoccupied but this inspires me to get to work.

 

$50 direct sale so I get $25

Country: World English Language
Usage: Editorial
Media: Book, print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 50,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 07 January 2021
End: 07 January 2031

 

Zoomed in November.

 

skulls-at-templo-mayor-from-aztec-sacrifical-victims-excavated-at-this-archeological-site-in-zcalo-mexico-city-2AAB6EE.jpg
Edited by The Blinking Eye
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Actually, I have twelve sales if you count the three picked up by The Sun that I still haven't been paid for and that still have not appeared on my sales report.

The Sun usually take 6 to 8 weeks and turns up on the last week of the month. Stay safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

The Sun usually take 6 to 8 weeks and turns up on the last week of the month. Stay safe.

 

Thanks, it's been nine weeks. I'll wait another month before checking in with Alamy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Christine M Baker said:

SFL

 

I am new to Alamy, do you see a lot of $1  sales ?    I don't have thousands of images up yet, I am still uploading,  but the one sale I got was $25.  Is this the average price?

 

One sale I got from another Stock House  was actually  25 cents !

 

Any comment would be appreciated

My average for the 661 sales in 2020 was $28. (and that included one sale for $2200 !!)

 

Kumar

Edited by Doc
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

 

I'd be happy to get that my average was $29 gross 😐

 

In 2012, my average was $91. In 2014, my best year for revenue, it was $80. For the past few years, it has been around $50. Fortunately, UK newspapers don't want my images. 🙂

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Taken in Cape York, waiting to load our drowned car onto the weekly cargo ship to Cairns. The car did not survive.

 

Country: Australia, New Zealand and Oceania ; Usage: iQ sale: Magazine, Editorial print and digital use.  Repeat use. ;  Industry Sector: Media, design & publishing ;

Low $$

 

P6X7MF.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Got one! I was noticing my Mexico City pictures were getting regular zooms, and other people were selling photos from there (same places I visited), so I just recently started going back and uploading more. I have a lot but have been confused about which I can upload without copyright and releases as a lot of them are from museums and historical sites.

 

 

 

 

 

 

well you can upload anything, the issue is how likely will you have issues.  

 

For example the Museo de Antropologia only allows images for personal use and requires a permit for commercial.  There is still 43 pages of results in the database. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

well you can upload anything, the issue is how likely will you have issues.  

 

For example the Museo de Antropologia only allows images for personal use and requires a permit for commercial.  There is still 43 pages of results in the database. 

 

Mexico also has more stringent protection of people being photographed.   I've got some from the museums, but took down all the ones from the National Museum of Anthropology and most from the Frida Kahlo museum but did re-add some.   Have some up from the Palace of Fine Arts.   Lots of people seem to search for Frida Kahlo and my first sale was of her self-portrait with frame and some wall around it.  Since copyright on her work is no longer in effect, this is an edge case, but I did take the photo down after the sale.   In all these museums, I had gotten a permit to photograph.    Check the various museums for restrictions on their permits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

well you can upload anything, the issue is how likely will you have issues.  

 

For example the Museo de Antropologia only allows images for personal use and requires a permit for commercial.  There is still 43 pages of results in the database. 

 

I find this so confusing! I thought items of antiquity were out of copyright? I haven't been able to find the info on their websites. I have zillions of photos from Museo de Antropologia, Frida Kahlo house, Institute of Popular Culture, murals, and Teotihuacan. I have hardly uploaded any of it because I don't understand the issue or the boundaries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MizBrown said:

 

Mexico also has more stringent protection of people being photographed.   I've got some from the museums, but took down all the ones from the National Museum of Anthropology and most from the Frida Kahlo museum but did re-add some.   Have some up from the Palace of Fine Arts.   Lots of people seem to search for Frida Kahlo and my first sale was of her self-portrait with frame and some wall around it.  Since copyright on her work is no longer in effect, this is an edge case, but I did take the photo down after the sale.   In all these museums, I had gotten a permit to photograph.    Check the various museums for restrictions on their permits.

 

I haven't been able to find info on their websites but I will look again. I have MANY photos of the Frida Kahlo house. Have not uploaded them except for some photos of her paints and paintbrushes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

 

I find this so confusing! I thought items of antiquity were out of copyright? I haven't been able to find the info on their websites. I have zillions of photos from Museo de Antropologia, Frida Kahlo house, Institute of Popular Culture, murals, and Teotihuacan. I have hardly uploaded any of it because I don't understand the issue or the boundaries.

 

 

there is copyright but there is also taking pictures on private property.  Anyone can set the rules they want as condition of entry, and you agree to them, likely implicitly when you walk in.  So a museum it's not mainly the copyright of the content that is at issue. And this is a balance we all have to weigh.  Also some of the information gets weirded out by various party's understanding of commercial.  

 

For example if you read the rules on SAN Parks, which oversees all South African National Parks,  it states that you need a permit for any shoot which you intend to commercialise.  The way it is written it seems really to focus on bringing a whole crew in, and much more video production etc...  But technically stock photo could also be deem to qualify- though i challenge them to prove my intent when i took a picture of a giraffe.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MizBrown said:

 

 In all these museums, I had gotten a permit to photograph.     Check the various museums for restrictions on their permits.

 

 

How hard was it to get a permit to do commercial shoots?  How do you store them?  Like i have one from a museum in Romania, but it's just a stub that I paid 10 lei, but in the end i could have picked it from the floor....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

How hard was it to get a permit to do commercial shoots?  How do you store them?  Like i have one from a museum in Romania, but it's just a stub that I paid 10 lei, but in the end i could have picked it from the floor....

 

I paid an extra fee to take pictures at the Frida Kahlo museum. I will look for the conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

a-group-of-young-boys-and-girls-studying

 

There is real opportunity even if the picture was captured years ago. 

Mid $

 

Country: Worldwide
Usage: Single company - multiple use editorial only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 07 January 2021
Duration: Unlimited

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickygui said:

a-group-of-young-boys-and-girls-studying

 

There is real opportunity even if the picture was captured years ago. 

Mid $

 

Country: Worldwide
Usage: Single company - multiple use editorial only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 07 January 2021
Duration: Unlimited

 

Beautiful shot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2021 at 00:22, meanderingemu said:

 

 

well you can upload anything, the issue is how likely will you have issues.  

 

For example the Museo de Antropologia only allows images for personal use and requires a permit for commercial.  There is still 43 pages of results in the database. 

 

That is my understanding, and often a small fee allows photography, but usually it only permits personal use. As you point out it doesn't stop photographers uploading to Alamy. I wonder how many people photographing in many of London's Parks realise a chargeable permit is required unless for personal use. I doubt many photographers do, or they ignore it. I've never come across a photographer shooting news in Hyde Park being picked up. I normally apply common sense.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Country: Australia, New Zealand and Oceania ; Usage: iQ sale: Magazine, Editorial print and digital use.  Repeat use. ;  Industry Sector: Media, design & publishing - $$

 

CTR2WR.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's PU month.  lowest $$.  But at least this one might be justifiable, though again why do they need 68,7 MB

 

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Personal use ;  Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use ; 68.7 MB;6000 x 4000 pixels;3.5 MB compressed ;  Start: 12-January-2021 ; End: 12-January-2026 ; Personal prints, cards and gifts, or reference for artists.  Non-commercial use only, not for resale.

 

farm-white-horse-front-side-framed-in-old-rustic-stable-door-sticking-head-out-and-looking-W87PDN.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Okay I won't upload any more photos from the Museo de Antropologica. SIgh.

 

 

i think it's more to be aware.  For example the Canadian National Gallery does not allow commercial image, so i have not uploaded images from the collection, but i do have a couple images of long corridor architecture lines that i was comfortable uploading, and will remove if asked to.  As Steve said @sb photos, apply common sense like any other images.  I sure uploaded all my images from South African National Park. I have a few Museo de Antropologia, since they have allowed 4000+ to stand

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.