January 2021 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

30 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Went to visit a reasonably nearby flying fox camp late last week. It was challenging due to recent rain events and flooding. The mosquitoes nearly carried me off, as I prefer not to use bug spray when trying to get up close and personal with wildlife. This lovely bat posed prettily for me.
grey-headed-flying-fox-pteropus-poliocephalus-with-wing-open-hanging-from-a-branch-vulnerable-species-see-below-2E35R0G.jpg

Gorgeous colour. Did you get peed on much?? 😂😂

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Gorgeous colour. Did you get peed on much?? 😂😂

Gen, about the same as usual. I rather like the smell of bat pee, and realise it's a fact of life if I want decent photos. I did have to wash everything I had on, including my shoes, once we came home though. And there was a rather "pungent" smell in the shower when I was washing my hair! Sadly, the area was still very muddy with some parts having a few inches of water from recent floods and I was very scared of falling and getting water in camera or lens, so I didn't get to some of the better parts where I like to photograph. But I had been waiting to go looking for mums & pups. I only found a couple and not getting any sun, so photos are almost black. But the weather here has been so bad for most of December that I couldn't go earlier.

I'll be out of action from late next week as having hand surgery....so no lifting the camera for a while, sadly.

10 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Gen, about the same as usual. I rather like the smell of bat pee, and realise it's a fact of life if I want decent photos. I did have to wash everything I had on, including my shoes, once we came home though. And there was a rather "pungent" smell in the shower when I was washing my hair! Sadly, the area was still very muddy with some parts having a few inches of water from recent floods and I was very scared of falling and getting water in camera or lens, so I didn't get to some of the better parts where I like to photograph. But I had been waiting to go looking for mums & pups. I only found a couple and not getting any sun, so photos are almost black. But the weather here has been so bad for most of December that I couldn't go earlier.

I'll be out of action from late next week as having hand surgery....so no lifting the camera for a while, sadly.

You're a dedicated wildlife photographer. It's a good feeling. Do you realise you have found the perfect weapon for the 1.5m social distancing? Bats pee!!

Good luck with your op, knowing you you'll be up and running in no time at all. 

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, gvallee said:

You're a dedicated wildlife photographer. It's a good feeling. Do you realise you have found the perfect weapon for the 1.5m social distancing? Bats pee!!

Good luck with your op, knowing you you'll be up and running in no time at all. 

Thanks Gen, if you're ever around Coffs Harbour way, let me know if you would like a bit of bat pee in your lovely hair. If we're not travelling somewhere (in my dreams!!), we can head off for some fun.

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Thanks Gen, if you're ever around Coffs Harbour way, let me know if you would like a bit of bat pee in your lovely hair. If we're not travelling somewhere (in my dreams!!), we can head off for some fun.

Thanks Carol. I'll bring my bats pee from Charters Towers. My foodie OH said bats Pee-not Noir. LOL!!

Me and my pal Fabrice went out shooting in a blizzard that passed here last weekend. It was hilarious 0 the wind was so strong we were being buffeted all over the place. The weather man says that the wind got to 90km/h - I can believe it. Facing into the wind was like being sandblasted. Luckily it wasn't cold so even with the considerable windchill (more like roaringhurricanechill) it was about the -15 mark. Here, in action, is Fabrice by the tripod waiting to shoot between gusts with the horizontal snow blasting us.

A photographer working, taking photos during a blizzard on the Plains of Abraham, Quebec City, Stock Photo

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Love 6

Two older submitted last week: one reworked, per suggestions from one of the old pros, one that I had to do some cropping and patching on, and a recent one of a coleus in bloom: 

2E4J51R.jpg

Reworked, third version. 

2E4J51J.jpg

This half grown kitten showed up, wanting to join my household.  She's now Maude, my acrobat despite being blind in one eye.  The former owner is my landlord's son, who was pretty much okay with the kitten's decision.  Here she was watching my dog and first cat, neither of which were particularly interested in having her move in.  She hates being alone.  Photoshop reduced the camera shake. 

2E4J511.jpg

Coleus blooms.  One other horizontal, this one portrait. 

• Love 1

Least Chipmunk. An image revisited from a trip in 2006. On the way toward the west coast, we stopped at a rest stop in Wyoming. The tourists were feeding these cuties, who were scampering around on large boulders. I’m sure they were probably fed things that weren’t that healthy, like this slice of bread. But the livin’ was easy.

2E45YM9.jpg
The Sonoran desert with Saguaro cacti in Arizona. 2006 trip also. What PP I can do with today’s software is amazing compared to then.

2E45YM5.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
Typo
  • Love 2

Designer toilets representing an unfinished basket reflecting an unfinished history.

Kenilworth, South East Queensland, Australia

It's a Royal flush!!

2E59MKA.jpg

17 hours ago, VbFolly said:

Here's a couple of photos of a school near me taken on my local exercise walks. These were taken a week apart. 

farnborough-hill-a-roman-catholic-independent-girls-day-school-english-public-school-formerly-hillside-convent-college-farnborough-hampshire-uk-2E387EN.jpg

farnborough-hill-a-roman-catholic-independent-girls-day-school-english-public-school-in-january-or-winter-with-snow-hampshire-uk-2E4XJXT.jpg

Those two would make a brilliant transition pic of one side in snow and the other in sun

These are some shots from a magazine assignment of the building boom of birth hometown of Bethesda, just outside of Washington, DC.  As a kid, this place was a sleepy bedroom community of DC.  To get this perspective, I managed to talk my way up to the rooftop of a new apartment building, but had to trade photos for access.

usa-maryland-md-bethesda-skyline-at-evening-with-new-construction-of-office-and-residential-buildings-2E5BCTR.jpg

usa-maryland-md-bethesda-skyline-at-evening-with-new-construction-of-office-and-residential-buildings-2E5BCXB.jpg

usa-maryland-md-bethesda-skyline-at-evening-with-new-construction-of-office-and-residential-buildings-2E5BCW5.jpg

• Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

Resurected post as I said I would. I always try to keep my promises.

The Longest Journey.

mute-swan-on-water-in-field-drain-2E14CFX.jpg

Healthy fish dinner

healthy-fish-dinner-2E14C40.jpg

Suns rays penetrating clouds

suns-rays-penetrating-clouds-2E14EFP.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell