Windows 10 crashes

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thanks Simon, the crashes do appear to be more frequent after a Windows update and my machine is getting a bit long in the tooth, so maybe that is an issue. I also see Google crashing after an update, the computer continuing to operate. It's been fine these last two days, but I always save Google related stuff frequently, e.g. responses to the forum. My box is a mongrel games machine from a local shop, so I guess getting bios updates might be a problem.

I once had a gaming machine also and it crashed a lot. More than anything else I have ever had. My Mac never crashes. Which is good because I’m at a loss with their innards.

On 03/01/2021 at 09:20, Bryan said:

Thanks Simon, the crashes do appear to be more frequent after a Windows update and my machine is getting a bit long in the tooth, so maybe that is an issue. I also see Google crashing after an update, the computer continuing to operate. It's been fine these last two days, but I always save Google related stuff frequently, e.g. responses to the forum. My box is a mongrel games machine from a local shop, so I guess getting bios updates might be a problem.

I used to make my own PCs many many many years ago. From a peace of mind perspective I don';t bother now, I just tell people to get Dell with a 3 year on-site warranty. Not saying they don't crash as well, but I like the idea of 3 years worth of guaranteed hardware cover at least.

8 hours ago, Simon said:

I used to make my own PCs many many many years ago. From a peace of mind perspective I don';t bother now, I just tell people to get Dell with a 3 year on-site warranty. Not saying they don't crash as well, but I like the idea of 3 years worth of guaranteed hardware cover at least.

Probably good advice Simon, but I had a negative experience with Dell quite a few years ago. I phoned their helpline after encountering some problems and, in essence, their technical support told me to reformat the drive.  Not wanting to do that, I spoke to the IT technicians at work and they told me how to sort the problem without resorting to drastic measures. Hopefully their service has improved since then, while I still use the aged but good Dell monitor that came with that machine, along with an even older RM keyboard.

I always get my machines second-hand (I tell a lie- I bought an Acorn Atom new in 1981) but my second one was a Dell and I'd probably choose one again were money no object. Well made and easy to upgrade. I got it in about 2006 for £50 and it's still my emergency spare. Not a laptop though.

The nice thing about a mongrel machine is you can easily replace parts. It becomes difficult with older name brand machines with proprietary hardware.  I just upgraded my 10 year old computer with some new parts.  Intel i9 processor, 32gb of ram, 1TB M.2 drive, new fans and cpu cooler and kept my old hard drives all for less than $900.  I don't know if its because of the pandemic but computer parts are really cheap right now.  Prices for CPU's and memory fluctuate like oil and other commodities so timing can be important.  Mine was really dirty inside too.

Edited by Johnnie5
add comment
  • Like 2