BIG SUR

CAROL SAUNDERS

Question

1 hour ago, Iain Masterton said:

I'm using a new Macbook Air M1 with Lightroom 10.1. 

I read that it had been tweaked for Apple silicon...but apparently not.

Anyhow it is running pretty slow and laggy (on Big Sur) and I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.

Hopefully things will improve when a native version appears.

I read on the Adobe site that they plan a native version for 2021 but no date specified. Running Lightroom in emulation mode is probably not ideal. I expect the native version will be amazing when it arrives. I ordered an M1 MacBook Pro to use on the road with Final Cut Pro for which it is getting rave reviews for graphics speed but have cancelled for now as the concept of travel seems a long way off. 

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Did the Big Sur update on your laptop take long Allan ? just wondering as I've not taken the plunge as yet.....😄

Thanks

Carol

The speed of the update will depend on your internet speed as well as the computer. If you want you can download Big Sur first and upgrade at your convenience. Definitely less than an hour for the actual update I would guess. 

7 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

OK many thanks, I will finish what I'm doing first which is just a bit of keywording then I might give it a whirl as my iMac keeps prompting me to do it which is driving me nuts😁

Carol

You can turn the prompts off in System Prefs. As I said there is not much new in Big Sur over Catalina unless you have one of these new  M1 Macs. That said the update has been very straightforward. 

12 minutes ago, MDM said:

You can turn the prompts off in System Prefs. As I said there is not much new in Big Sur over Catalina unless you have one of these new  M1 Macs. That said the update has been very straightforward. 

Many thanks again, I will make a note of that and give some more thought.

I did turn off the thing in Camera Raw preferences in Bridge the other day as it did freeze once more but hasn't since I turned it off, so thank you again....

Carol

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks again, I will make a note of that and give some more thought.

I did turn off the thing in Camera Raw preferences in Bridge the other day as it did freeze once more but hasn't since I turned it off, so thank you again....

Carol

Don’t mention it Carol. Happy to help. 😀

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Did the Big Sur update on your laptop take long Allan ? just wondering as I've not taken the plunge as yet.....😄

Thanks

Carol

Actually it should have taken between one and two hours but I left it running and when I went back the connection had dropped out and I don't know when. All I did was hit ESC to get the screen back then clicked on the box to continue download.

Sorry I can't be more explicit on the timing as my laptop is one of the older machines. A more up to date machine will probably be quicker.

Allan

On 28/12/2020 at 16:09, MDM said:

I do think Big Sur is just a slightly modified Catalina for Intel Macs. The return of the start sound made me jump out out of my skin and may have woken the neighbours as I did the install late at night and was not expecting the sound. 

HE HE I always have the volume muted after having had similar shock with mine some time ago.

Allan

9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

HE HE I always have the volume muted after having had similar shock with mine some time ago.

Allan

Thanks for the update also Allan and for info about the return of the sound ha ha.  Not sure why I'm so stressed about this update but there you go - maybe as there were one or two issued with Adobe/Catalina at first.  I tend to think....if it ain't broke don't fix it ha ha - so I'm still having a think 😁 If / when I do it, I will not leave it's side, even if it means looking at a dark screen for a few hours 😁

Carol

28 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thanks for the update also Allan and for info about the return of the sound ha ha.  Not sure why I'm so stressed about this update but there you go - maybe as there were one or two issued with Adobe/Catalina at first.  I tend to think....if it ain't broke don't fix it ha ha - so I'm still having a think 😁 If / when I do it, I will not leave it's side, even if it means looking at a dark screen for a few hours 😁

Carol

What Mac have you got? Have you got any peripherals such as printers?

I don't think there are any issues at the moment with the latest Photoshop and ACR. I certainly have not seen any. Catalina was a much bigger jump as only 64-bit software runs and there is extra security over previous versions which can be confusing. 

I do recommend making a backup of your OS drive before installing a new one if that is possible. You can do it with Time Machine onto an external drive. I did with Carbon Copy Cloner and didn't need the backups. Whatever you do make sure your data is backed up as reinstalling the system is not really a big deal if it needs to be done. This is very straightforward nowadays with System Recovery. 

If you want to stick with Catalina you won't be missing much. If you go into System Prefs - Software Update and uncheck everything then you should get no more reminders. This is not the best idea as it is good to be reminded of security updates so best to leave Check for Updates on. 

59 minutes ago, MDM said:

What Mac have you got? Have you got any peripherals such as printers?

I don't think there are any issues at the moment with the latest Photoshop and ACR. I certainly have not seen any. Catalina was a much bigger jump as only 64-bit software runs and there is extra security over previous versions which can be confusing. 

I do recommend making a backup of your OS drive before installing a new one if that is possible. You can do it with Time Machine onto an external drive. I did with Carbon Copy Cloner and didn't need the backups. Whatever you do make sure your data is backed up as reinstalling the system is not really a big deal if it needs to be done. This is very straightforward nowadays with System Recovery. 

If you want to stick with Catalina you won't be missing much. If you go into System Prefs - Software Update and uncheck everything then you should get no more reminders. This is not the best idea as it is good to be reminded of security updates so best to leave Check for Updates on. 

Hi, thank you again, it's a 27" Retina 5K and it says it's running 10.15.7 Catalina.  I've just been reading on doing a back up with Time Machine.  I did order and started using another external 4tb hard drive the other day so think probably best to order a separate one for a back up, do you think another 4tb will be sufficient for this.  I use my passport for Mac.  I've just got a very basic HP Deskjet printer attached to it.

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change

It’s bit difficult to give definitive advice as there are so many variables but you only really need to back up the OS if you already have your data backed up. The way I work is I keep all my images etc on external drives so it is very easy to back up the internal drive as I keep it small. You could just make a Time Machine backup onto your new drive and exclude your data files so it is quick to backup and fast to restore if necessary.

I use a G-Technology solid state drive for rapid backup on the road  and even as an OS drive as they are incredibly fast. My MacBook Pro internal drive was having problems and I just used one of these with Catalina installed as the main drive until I got time to get it repaired.  They are too expensive for storage but well worth having one around if you ever need a second startup drive.  The 500 GB version is more than sufficient for this purpose. I actually installed Big Sur on one to see how it would go and it was fine. They are tiny but very robust as well. 

16 hours ago, MDM said:

I did with Carbon Copy Cloner and didn't need the backups.

Good to see you use CCC. That is my backup software too. It automatically backs up external files to another storage drive on a daily basis. Then on a weekly basis I do a manual backup to another external drive which is removed to secure storage. Also do a backup of the OS to a different dedicated drive which is again removed to secure storage.

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Good to see you use CCC. That is my backup software too. It automatically backs up external files to another storage drive on a daily basis. Then on a weekly basis I do a manual backup to another external drive which is removed to secure storage. Also do a backup of the OS to a different dedicated drive which is again removed to secure storage.

Allan

If you only use CCC for backups, I trust you have the Safety Net feature turned on? Otherwise an accidental deletion of a file or folder may not be recoverable. I use both TimeMachine and CCC. The advantage of CCC is it can create a bootable backup of the entire system so, if the main HDD fails, the drive can simply be swapped. The advantage of TM backups is that they provide easy access to previous versions of files or states. But also TM backups provide an easy way to migrate to another Mac. I was amazed when I swapped to a new iMac, everything just transferred including most apps and passwords. 

Mark

22 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

If you only use CCC for backups, I trust you have the Safety Net feature turned on? Otherwise an accidental deletion of a file or folder may not be recoverable. I use both TimeMachine and CCC. The advantage of CCC is it can create a bootable backup of the entire system so, if the main HDD fails, the drive can simply be swapped. The advantage of TM backups is that they provide easy access to previous versions of files or states. But also TM backups provide an easy way to migrate to another Mac. I was amazed when I swapped to a new iMac, everything just transferred including most apps and passwords. 

Mark

I used to use TM as well but it has been unplugged for a few years now. It was causing some problems with the operations but cannot remember what. Meant to look into it but did not have the time back then and have been OK without for some time. Can't see me working on it in the near future either. I don't think there was actually anything wrong with the unit. The fault was with me not being fully in tune with Apple back then.

The unit is the Apple AirPort Time Capsule 2TB which is just standing idle. Can't remember how much it cost but was a fair bit back in 2014. They are not available now except second hand.

Allan

I have just been using CCC to make an occasional bootable backup of my OS or to clone a version onto a G-Tech SSD external drive which worked well recently. I bought it some time back for its cloning capabilities. I prefer my manual backup system for my data files although it can be time consuming.

There are some major issues with creating bootable backups with CCC and Big Sur - I am not clear if this is just with the Apple Silicon Macs or Intel Macs as well. Time Machine might be the easier option for now if creating a bootable backup from Big Sur. 

Time Machine does not need to use a TimeCapsule. It can be used to backup parts or all of a disk onto any external drive. 

To be on the safe side as suggested before upgrading to Big Sur, I've just done a backup via Time Machine to a Lacie External hard drive.  It seemed painless and didn't take too long, so I feel I have achieved something !  I will deal with Big Sur tomorrow - she says😉.  Again thank you all for all your advice.....

Carol

• Love 1

7 hours ago, MDM said:

There are some major issues with creating bootable backups with CCC and Big Sur - I am not clear if this is just with the Apple Silicon Macs or Intel Macs as well. Time Machine might be the easier option for now if creating a bootable backup from Big Sur.

This appears to have been fixed in the latest CCC.  I haven't tested to see if the drive is bootable, though.   I have a drive for Time Machine permanently connected, and use CCC for backups to the system on the internal drive and for backups on separate drives of my external graphics drive.

The problem was something in how Apple was separating and locking the OS and some other bits from the rest of the MacIntosh drive. 

After upgrading to Catalina I had to upgrade CCC too.

I know I can use TM with other drives and not have to use a TC but back when I started with Apple (2013) I did not know all the in's and out's of the system.

Allan

43 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

After upgrading to Catalina I had to upgrade CCC too.

I know I can use TM with other drives and not have to use a TC but back when I started with Apple (2013) I did not know all the in's and out's of the system.

Allan

I'm guessing TM = Time Machine but TC ? CCC ? I know CC = creative cloud😄 hopeless at tekky stuff and obviously tek speak😁

Carol

19 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I'm guessing TM = Time Machine but TC ? CCC ? I know CC = creative cloud😄 hopeless at tekky stuff and obviously tek speak😁

Carol

Don't worry about any of this Carol. None of it is relevant to you. Just get on with the Big Sur update if you are going to do it. You should be safe in the knowledge that you can restore your Catalina system from the Time Machine backup you made if necessary. 

CCC is a program called Carbon Copy Cloner. It can be useful for cloning an entire disk onto another disk so that can be used as an alternative startup disk. it also works as a backup program and for creating bootable backup drives. There are doubts about how it works on the latest M1 Macs. TC is a Time Capsule - an ancient Apple backup device that worked with Time Machine (the program) but is now outdated

Edited by MDM

29 minutes ago, MDM said:

Don't worry about any of this Carol. None of it is relevant to you. Just get on with the Big Sur update if you are going to do it. You should be safe in the knowledge that you can restore your Catalina system from the Time Machine backup you made if necessary. 

CCC is a program called Carbon Copy Cloner. It can be useful for cloning an entire disk onto another disk so that can be used as an alternative startup disk. it also works as a backup program and for creating bootable backup drives. There are doubts about how it works on the latest M1 Macs. TC is a Time Capsule - an ancient Apple backup device that worked with Time Machine (the program) but is now outdated

Many thanks again - I'm going to do the upgrade right now😉.....🙏

Carol

I had some weird systems problems when my external drive that houses Time Machine was beginning to fail.   When it failed, I bought a new external drive and set that up for Time Machine and everything was okay again.  If a Time Capsule was elderly, then the drive in that could have problems, which cause some bootup lag with the main machine.   One TB will cover a year's worth of backups if you exclude photos, videos, and such.   I do have a 2 TB Time Machine drive now, but it's a bit less than half full.   I bought it in July 2019.  

Update now completed - wow that did take a few hours although I thought it would.   The only stressful bit was when it started installation and a note came on the screen advising your Mac might restart more than once during installation - well it certainly did that and I was getting worried !  Anyway, it seems fine at the moment though I haven't done a manual shut down and turn on again - yet.  

As some of you have said, there doesn't seem to be much that's changed unless I'm missing something which wouldn't surprise me😁  Please let me know if there is anything specific I should look for.......

Again thank you all for your help, I am very relieved!    Also do you think I should now format the external drive I backed up yesterday with Catalina and do another back up of this, or just leave alone, sorry if this sounds a really dumb question.😟

Carol