Ed may be out to lunch, but everyone cant be, surely?

spacecadet

Question

10 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Just back in after cleaning my car, it was pretty grubby. Good to see the forum up and running again and my Dashboard accessible and FileZilla sees my upload folders at last. I wonder how much business was lost by contributors and Alamy. What was annoying was earlier social media posts that the 'planned maintenance' was complete, then a lack of realistic updates (try again in a few minutes). 

you would think if it was "planned" they could have given the contributors a head's up.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

They may not have logged out from earlier sessions. 

there seem to be a movement of One person in at some point, so i wondered if it could only take One user maximum, and then late today, two.

I never log out, btw, but was not allowed in.

Edited by meanderingemu

17 minutes ago, sb photos said:

...I wonder how much business was lost by contributors ........

My blood was already high when both my phone and mobile wifi box died from the cold after being out in a freezing field before trying to upload images. After a drive and finding free wifi to finally get them uploaded the site then went down again, so it wasn't the best of days. Who knows whether it made a difference but I'd like that to be the choice of the buyer, not the fragile system.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

They may not have logged out from earlier sessions. 

I never log out... but I always have to log in again when I open the forum page. ( which is annoying) How do folk manage to stay logged in? 

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

Who knows whether it made a difference but I'd like that to be the choice of the buyer, not the fragile system.

Very fragile recently. What caused this major crash I doubt we'll ever hear. An outage like this is not good PR, planned maintenance to improve our experience sounds more positive.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m in after yesterday (Saturday) being unable to. I could see and read the forum, but it wouldn’t allow my login to go through. I think I tried to log in 3 times then refrained from kicking my iPad across the floor. 

The company that runs the forum is Invision in Virginia (see below).     Alamy knew what it was doing, but perhaps not what had happened to the UK/US connection to Invision Community (kinda interesting who else they run forums for).   Giving Invision Community our email addresses and passwords would be a security issue for me.   The better way would be for Alamy to keep those and do some kind of verification on servers it controls, but that would also mean if Alamy was down, the connection to Invision Community would also been down, with no way to authenticate if Alamy wasn't verifying its users to Invision. 

1 minute ago, sb photos said:

Very fragile recently. What caused this major crash I doubt we'll ever hear. An outage like this is not good PR, planned maintenance to improve our experience sounds more positive.

I didn't have anything more than a brief period where I couldn't log into my dashboard.  And I could see the Alamy Forums but couldn't log in.

A range of things can cause major crashes, including teenaged boys using bots to try to drive each other off line.  That at one time in the early 2000s took down a  major US hub, and crippled internet services on the US East coast.   In another earlier instance, one troll had gotten into denial of service fight with an American expat Usenet admin and knocked Croatia off line.

I'm the same as eveyone else here. Without help from forum members, over the weekend, I was unable to thread a needle, or bake an apple pie, or open a bottle of wine. I failed to diagnose an embarrassing medical condition, with unfortunate consequences.

Spacecadet, on the other hand, has been locked in the forum all weekend, with nothing to eat but a bag of Revels. He’s no doubt been flicking switches and pressing buttons, out of sheer boredom, which, I imagine, is why nothing on Alamy seems to be working today…

• Thanks 1

I have only been able to sign back in this morning. The sign in just kept going round and round. In out, in out, in out, shake it all about. Captcha was not involved at any time.

Allan