Assignments, News, Art, and Stock

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I need to go back to the Amish community less than an hour away and see if I can get anything there. I came up dry the first time I went.

The Amish do not like to be photographed.  I went through Dodge City, but there are some interesting things in the eastern part including some sites and signs about the Spanish explorers and missionaries in that area.   Alamy has five pages for Kansas Tallgrass Prairie.  Also, Cottonwood Falls has a celebration and also has some interesting shops for a town of that size. 

I suspect that things are more interesting if you haven't been looking at them for most of your life.  One novelist found a girl tending store at an Italian gas station who thought Florence was boring. 

Edited by MizBrown

4 hours ago, Avpics said:

Never had any training. A weekend warrior, the type that some love to hate. 

That more or less describes me. The photography is an antidote to the dull as dishwater (but otherwise very stable and worth having) day job, but it does make me die inside on the days like today where it's a glorious day with animals and people alike to be photographed and I'm stuck inside unable to join in. Given how much of my spare time goes to either taking photos or processing them and the fact I just don't seem to tire of it does increasingly make me think I should try and turn it into full time paying work but I think the chances of that happening are slim. The problem is, the chances of me getting better at it and being in a position to photograph worthy content is diminished by being unavailable during most of the day, so it's a catch-22. For now it remains just a hobby, mostly stock and art. I've dabbled with live news on the protests, but the problem is I am competing with seasoned journalists and/or people with the latest gear who have downloaded the money shot to their mobile and pinged it off to HQ before I've even found a place to perch with my laptop. I am glad that it's a challenging environment, though.

Edited by Cal
  • Love 1