Jump to content

31 zooms, only 3 sales...what am I doing wrong?


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Karel,

 

I do not think, from what I looked at on the first page of your images on Alamy, that you have put much thought

into what you are doing with Alamy. I did like your landscape of the Washington monument and the pool, but there

are thousands of images of that and from the same angle available.

 

I have contributed to Alamy for over 15 years, I also have legacy images with the other three major libraries,  in years 

past I was contract with them. I have mostly been very happy with Alamy.  I will tell you from experience that in terms

of licensing news images there are other libraries or agencies that will get more licenses, but based on my own

experience, you would need 25 to 50 licenses to equal one or two Alamy licenses (income).

 

I do not let multiple agencies (libraries) license the same image and I can tell you after over 30 years in the international

photo agency business Alamy is the best "open" library (agency) available in 2020. 

 

Keep in mind that I am a semi-retired magazine photographer.

 

Making images for publication (licensing) IS NOT LIKE MAKING SAUSAGES, no offence to sausage makers.  It takes thought

talent and hard work sitting at the computer to make it all work.

 

Alamy is not perfect, but I do believe that they do a very good job.

 

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I really appreciate your point of view.

 

However I still don't like the idea of being exclusive at any agency. I respect your experience but I've been doing this for 12 years and so far I've had great results.

 

I don't know why but at the beginning I never uploaded to Alamy . In the few months since I began uploading here my income here is less than 1% than what I've made elsewhere. I can't be exclusive at Alamy with those numbers.

 

I like Alamy's business model but the competition is fierce and.no agency (in my opinion) is safe. I prefer to have options

 

I don't do current news . I saw your portfolio and is great. I love your work.

 

My original question when I began this thread was why I was getting zooms but so few sales. My CTR is not bad. I have 33 zooms.now. Maybe the reason is people buy my images elsewhere. Maybe I have to wait a little longer to see the results.

 

Thanks again for your help

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kamira said:

My original question when I began this thread was why I was getting zooms but so few sales. My CTR is not bad. I have 33 zooms.now. Maybe the reason is people buy my images elsewhere. Maybe I have to wait a little longer to see the results.

 

That would be very easy to test, because you can see views; zooms and search terms here. So if you see those here, and see sales elsewhere of the same images, you'll know.

If you do, please let us know.

 

wim

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Karel, the 2nd image in your port is NOT the library here in Liverpool. It's the Liverpool World Museum. The library is the smaller building next door. 

 

2A0KA04.jpg

Thanks Ed. I'll fix it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kamira said:

Thanks Chuck. I really appreciate your point of view.

 

However I still don't like the idea of being exclusive at any agency. I respect your experience but I've been doing this for 12 years and so far I've had great results.

 

I don't know why but at the beginning I never uploaded to Alamy . In the few months since I began uploading here my income here is less than 1% than what I've made elsewhere. I can't be exclusive at Alamy with those numbers.

 

I like Alamy's business model but the competition is fierce and.no agency (in my opinion) is safe. I prefer to have options

 

I don't do current news . I saw your portfolio and is great. I love your work.

 

My original question when I began this thread was why I was getting zooms but so few sales. My CTR is not bad. I have 33 zooms.now. Maybe the reason is people buy my images elsewhere. Maybe I have to wait a little longer to see the results.

 

Thanks again for your help

Kamira,

 

Something for you to keep in mind, Zooms can happen a long time before the license (sale if it is RF) is reported.  I will tell you that I have been around, just getting out of an agency, library, that I have been with for over 25 years.  While I have been close to leaving Alamy twice, I have not.  What you do with your images is up to you, I am old school and prefer to know who is licensing my images, not just spread them around.  I was just telling you what I believe based on my own experience.  I also said more than ten years ago that I was finished photographing demonstrations and current events, Mr. Trump changed that. 

 

I also disagree with those on the forum that it is about the number of images that you have online, in my opinion it is not.  It is about the quality, uniqueness and the accuracy of your IPTC information (Captions and keywords).   

 

Thanks for your kind words about my work.

 

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

As I said it's about emotion. It should convey what you felt and why you took that image.

Some will argue it's easier to shoot a cause that's not your own others to shoot every cause as if it's your own. My take on that is that it very much depends on your personality. Anyway I'm not seeing a detached gaze here. 😁 So you owe it to your subject to present it as best as you can.

 

wim

 

I don't believe in objectivity~ My photos are a form of personal expression and emotion drives impact. I feel so lucky to have these photos now to remind me of the thrill of that unforgetabble moment!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I don't believe in objectivity~ My photos are a form of personal expression and emotion drives impact. I feel so lucky to have these photos now to remind me of the thrill of that unforgetabble moment!

 

That's what I thought. 😃

 

wim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Kamira,

Most of my alamy sales this year are of images I uploaded in previous years.  It can take a while before someone is looking for what you have in your portfolio.  As has been mentioned, keywording is very important.  Always include plurals of objects, even if there is only one in your image.  For example, if someone was looking for an image of "antique vehicles in Cuba", they wouldn't find your nice image 2D4MRM0 of an antique car in Havana, because you only have the singular "vehicle" in the keywords.

 

Maria

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MariaJ said:

Always include plurals of objects, even if there is only one in your image.  For example, if someone was looking for an image of "antique vehicles in Cuba", they wouldn't find your nice image 2D4MRM0 of an antique car in Havana, because you only have the singular "vehicle" in the keywords.

Thanks  for your help Maria. Are you sure about the need to include plurals? The search engine should not need that. Someone also mentioned the search engine differentiates between upper and lowercase keywords. It shouldn't do that either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kamira said:

Are you sure about the need to include plurals?

Alamy's search doesn't do what is called as stemming, so plurals need to be entered separately.  See James Allsworth's article here:

 

https://www.alamy.com/blog/tagging-images-on-alamy

 

There is some psychology involved in predicting just how people search also. For example, you have a landscape photograph so you keyword/tag it 'landscape', but it is known and can be demonstrated that most people search for 'landscapes'. There are more examples given in various discussions on the forum but often it is good to put in plurals even if there is only a single example in your picture.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kamira said:

Thanks  for your help Maria. Are you sure about the need to include plurals? The search engine should not need that. Someone also mentioned the search engine differentiates between upper and lowercase keywords. It shouldn't do that either.

 

The search engine definitely does not include plurals, this was changed years back by Alamy.

The statement about lower/upper case is incorrect. There is no difference. It's easy to test. Do a search in upper case in the search box, then lower case for the same search. It will return the same results.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kamira said:

Thanks  for your help Maria. Are you sure about the need to include plurals? The search engine should not need that. Someone also mentioned the search engine differentiates between upper and lowercase keywords. It shouldn't do that either.

 

 

of course it should differentiate,  if customers are looking for children, given them a bunch of choice with One Child creates noise, waste of time and potential them looking elsewhere.  

 

 

 

capitalisation has no impact on most search, "ottawa protest" "Ottawa protest" "ottawa Protest" "ottAwA pRotest" give the same number of results.  The one case so far 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

 

 

There is some psychology involved in predicting just how people search also. For example, you have a landscape photograph so you keyword/tag it 'landscape', but it is known and can be demonstrated that most people search for 'landscapes'. There are more examples given in various discussions on the forum but often it is good to put in plurals even if there is only a single example in your picture.

 

 

but most of what you call psychology is actually research.  Alamy is actually great at providing tools through AoA for this information

 

for example in past month "Landscape" was used in 401 searches, "Landscapes"  17

 

 

note: one of the Landscapes search was for "newzealand landscapes"  which provided enough hits to client to zoom twice and possibly not actually try again writing new zealand with a space.  Note to people with images from the land of plenty.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

but most of what you call psychology is actually research

But those 17 will have been searching within 773,634 images as of today, instead of 8,935,374 images for 'landscape', I think it makes sense to include both as the uninitiated might think "I'll search for some landscapes". Also just in case anyone actually uses the Alamy 'Browse by category' page then your image won't appear in the 'Landscapes' category unless it is keyworded (or captioned) accordingly. The exception to this is some of the few unknown number of curated images that are put up the front of that category by Alamy themselves. Of course we also have an unrelated  'Landscapes' category in the optional tab as well, not clear for whose benefit though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Harrison said:

But those 17 will have been searching within 773,634 images as of today, instead of 8,935,374 images for 'landscape', I think it makes sense to include both as the uninitiated might think "I'll search for some landscapes". Also just in case anyone actually uses the Alamy 'Browse by category' page then your image won't appear in the 'Landscapes' category unless it is keyworded (or captioned) accordingly. The exception to this is some of the few unknown number of curated images that are put up the front of that category by Alamy themselves. Of course we also have an unrelated  'Landscapes' category in the optional tab as well, not clear for whose benefit though.

 

 

but as i said to me this is all this is about research with the information available, not psychology.  

 

I wouldn't consider knowing you need to also tag "Newzealand", 15 searches in last month, 8 resulting in Zooms as psychology.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

but as i said to me this is all this is about research with the information available, not psychology.  

Right, but given your research would you caption as both 'landscape' & 'landscapes'? I think it's both psychology and research actually, psychology to think of how people might be searching for your image and research to see if they actually do, landscape/landscapes is of course just one example, bearing in mind that presumably none of us want to spend very long doing any of it then both terms would seem sensible. You're not going to get a poor CTR if someone searches for 'landscape' and finds your image of 'landscapes'. Other terms are more ambiguous, tree & trees perhaps, does everyone who searches for 'trees'  only want to see pictures of more than one tree? I'd say yes if they were an experienced picture researcher but not necessarily otherwise.

Edited by Harry Harrison
CTR not CRT
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2020 at 12:24, meanderingemu said:

 

 

but most of what you call psychology is actually research.  Alamy is actually great at providing tools through AoA for this information

 

for example in past month "Landscape" was used in 401 searches, "Landscapes"  17

 

 

note: one of the Landscapes search was for "newzealand landscapes"  which provided enough hits to client to zoom twice and possibly not actually try again writing new zealand with a space.  Note to people with images from the land of plenty.

 

Not to mention Aotearoa 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

 

Not to mention Aotearoa 😄

 

1 search during the current year for 'Great Fleet in Aotearoa'

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gvallee said:

 

1 search during the current year for 'Great Fleet in Aotearoa'

Oh right, I forgot the %s.

Better put that in my image of the pouwhenua sculpture in Wellington. Which has already licensed without it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

 

Well seeing as newzealand and New Zealand were the topic I thought it no harm to add the Maori name to the discussion 😆

They call this Aotearoa as well😀

2AHXFBC.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

 

Made with real Tuataras :D  I always liked Tui myself :)

 

Our flight was very late so they just let us in the first class lounge for a few glasses of forgetting whatever the problem was.🍷

Tui, a couple of those and the entire bar sounded like a mad aviary anyway😎

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.