Lack of USA sales for UK contributor

2 minutes ago, Steve F said:

That's going to be a killer. At least it might put the microstocks out of business 😆 I still can't understand photographers giving their work away for free, hoping to be 'found'.

It's fun to be part of their community of kind-hearted, wonderful, creative people who don't do photography for grubby ole money but for love and art.

Or something 🤯

I'm not sure I agree with that list except for the "get it free" option. That's been going on for a long time; as a travel photographer I was long frustrated by the publishers who started their search at British Tourist Association and bent the truth in order to quality for free photos. Researchers did not go to individual photographers collections unless they were mates, long preferring to source from an agency where they could press for bulk rates. Bulk rates might start at two! I became a very small agency so that myself and a very few friends could compete for a few bulk-buy hunters. That meant organising a proper archive which was a good thing.That worked well for a couple of decades before Microstock changed the whole scene. The commissioned area has long been in the realm of commercial concerns needing photographs of their specific products or services. Thankfully, I have never been offered the "good publicity for you" deal. I must give off vibes from a great distance!

Edited by Robert M Estall

I get relatively few sales in the U.K. so I suppose the U.K. uses much more content of U.K. centric images, just as the USA does of U.S centric images.

My breakdown of the rolling year of image sales are as listed below.  I suspect that many or most of the ones marked Worldwide, originated in the USA

145 Worldwide

7 USA

7 U.K.

4 Germany

2 Turkey

2 Spain

2 Denmark

2 Netherlands

2 Poland

2 France

2 U.A.E.

1 Japan

1 Canada

1 Italy

1 Serbia

1 Brazil

1 Latvia

I didn't have any US or North American sales over the last 12 months, but I guess some of the worldwide sales will have been to the US, especially those dropping in at the end of the day which happens quite a lot. 

Had seven sales to Taiwan though. 😲

14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

About 10% of mine show as "worldwide" under "country" but as "US" under "region" in net revenue.

Good point. I have around 30 to the USA when I look at that.  225 for UK

Edited by geogphotos

Ah yes regions, hadn't thought of that.

UK 61
US 56

while in my original list it was:

United Kingdom 8
United States 1

Illinois 1

New Jersey 1
New York 1
North America 3

Pennsylvania 1

World English Language 5
Worldwide 138   

+ all the others like Japan 8

Yes Pennsylvania and Illinois etc as a country is perhaps ominous. The United Balkan States?

BTW Brian, I have had the District as a country! Maybe we should tweet that to Eleanor Holmes Norton. Or to the Donald. DC becoming a state was one of his big scary things in this election.

A Washington DC car license plate with the slogan: Taxation without representation. - Stock Image

A repeat seller! If you do a search for taxation (39,395 !) it comes up 6 or 7th.  Keith Morris is #1; ICP is 4 or 5th (with a brilliant wallet).

wim

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Ah yes regions, hadn't thought of that.

UK 61
US 56

while in my original list it was:

United Kingdom 8
United States 1

Illinois 1

New Jersey 1
New York 1
North America 3

Pennsylvania 1

World English Language 5
Worldwide 138   

+ all the others like Japan 8

Yes Pennsylvania and Illinois etc as a country is perhaps ominous. The United Balkan States?

BTW Brian, I have had the District as a country! Maybe we should tweet that to Eleanor Holmes Norton. Or to the Donald. DC becoming a state was one of his big scary things in this election.

A Washington DC car license plate with the slogan: Taxation without representation. - Stock Image

A repeat seller! If you do a search for taxation (39,395 !) it comes up 6 or 7th.  Keith Morris is #1; ICP is 4 or 5th (with a brilliant wallet).

wim

I hope those numbers have been certified. If not, Giuliani and his gang of ambulance chasers could be knocking at your door soon. 😨

• Love 1

Looking at my 2020 sales (without a count) the 'country' that's listed most is Worldwide. The best prices paid are alway for images of the States. Am I wrong that images sold to a buyer in the USA are always an even amount, like $100.00 with no cents. 

To understand all this stuff better, I would have to change my name to Wim. And we already have a Wim. 

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You have a different interface?  Hmm.

You will find this information if you download the .csv Excel spreadsheet in 'Download Sales Report', Edo. Last column on the right.

I'm in the US and all but one of mine this year are US sales, the other is ROW.

I rarely get UK sales but then aside from some images of Edinburgh taken in 2007 before I even knew what stock photography was, I don't have much in the way of UK images. The European countries I tend to sell to are Germany, Italy and Sweden, and all of those were concepts or US locations.   

Edited by Marianne

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Looking at my 2020 sales (without a count) the 'country' that's listed most is Worldwide. The best prices paid are alway for images of the States. Am I wrong that images sold to a buyer in the USA are always an even amount, like $100.00 with no cents. 

To understand all this stuff better, I would have to change my name to Wim. And we already have a Wim. 

I have quite a few US sales ending in cents -- .99, etc.

To get around the "Worldwide" conundrum, you can check out the "Region" column in the downloadable sales report to get a better idea of which sales are actually US sales.

It's OK to change your name on a whim, we need all the Wims we can get these days. 😁

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I hope those numbers have been certified. If not, Giuliani and his gang of ambulance chasers could be knocking at your door soon. 😨

At $19,999.99 a day. Boy did we choose the wrong profession.

I'm not sure what populates that region column. I'm guessing it's where the payment comes from.

wim

• Like 1

I've sold some face masks (elsewhere obviously) to folks in red states, so maybe they're coming around. 

Was on the phone with one of my cousins just now and he was bemoaning the fact that many of our younger relatives are looking to get dual Italian or Irish citizenship and leave these shores for the countries our or there (we're both of Italian descent) came from. My husband is looking into Irish citizenship as our daughter is among those considering saner shores. One of my grandparents was born here and the others apparently became citizens early enough in the 20th century that they were deemed to have given up their Italian citizenship, so I'd need to visit as a tourist though I was looking into how to become an Irish citizen if my husband becomes one. The nuns who taught me would be so proud...

Scary stuff going on in this country I love so much. I have to take news blackout days or I lose too much sleep. Praying saner voices will prevail but if my daughter moves abroad, I may get to meet some of you fine folks across the pond. My husband's grandmother was from Sligo Ed. The Irony is that she died before he was born so he'd get citizenship through a relative he never even met. Weird world we live in. 

The internet has brought all of us here together from around the world, yet it is tearing nations and even families apart. So very sad but I don't know what the answer is.

Sales do seem to be picking up all over. Perhaps the promise of a vaccine is giving people hope?