No sales, what I'm doing is wrong

5 hours ago, Hanna_Fate said:

Sometimes people asking for help are just hoping they need to change a setting or something.  They don't really want to WORK at it.

This is something I have noticed particularly about photography.  Beginners think it's "easy" because you get recognizable pictures right away. (unlike drawing, where you have to hone your eye-hand coordination before you can call anything "realistic")  What they don't realize is that it takes a lot of work to learn how to make really GOOD photos. 

Some of these people only barely know which way to point the camera.  Subtleties such as depth of field escape them.

My advice to anyone who is finding that their photos don't sell is:  Study photography.  Learn wherever you can.  Even very old books about film photography will be useful to you, because light hasn't changed with the advent of digital cameras. 

An expensive camera won't magically make your photos better.  A good camera will make it less work to create good images, but you still have to know how to use it.

and then the second part, is they assume once they have figured that part out, the images will sell for themselves, not realising they are competing against 1000s of other distributors, and if they are not willing to make the marketing part of it, having nice images is not going to help. in stock.

You need

-Subjects people need and want, and

-Make sure people see them

you need to market your image, above others.... 

On 04/12/2020 at 15:35, Hanna_Fate said:

Sometimes people asking for help are just hoping they need to change a setting or something.  They don't really want to WORK at it.

Got to agree with this. Treat it almost like a side business (which is particularly realistic given you'll likely run at a loss for years at first). I put a large majority of my free time into doing this because I have a passion for photography and it keeps me from being idle mainly. I guess if you don't have the stamina to work at it like that then the rewards theoretically will be lower, but it is up to you.

On 04/12/2020 at 09:35, Hanna_Fate said:

Some of these people only barely know which way to point the camera.  Subtleties such as depth of field escape them.

So true. I remember when I went from a point and shoot to a SLR. My husband knew what the settings did. I asked to use his camera (film) and asked him what the settings meant so I could take the shots I wanted, the effects I desired.  Which were portraits of our daughter lying on a large nearly black horizontal tree limb among gorgeous bright yellow autumn leaves. The light was spectacular.
I still remember his teachings about depth of field, invaluable information. Also shutter speed, in relation to pointing the camera at anything that moved. I had a desire to know how to do it right before ever taking a photograph.
All these years later, what he told me stuck.

• Upvote 1