Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

PS when I started with a very small daily in Washington state in the mid 70's, I had a PENTAX Spotmatic , no meter, and a HONEYWELL "potato masher" flash.

 At that time I was using a Practika Super TL2 and MTL3 (stop down metering) with Zeiss 35mm and 135mm, plus the Pentagon 50mm, changed during the late 70's to Olympus OM1 then added the OM1n. Although it was long ago I'll never forget the OM1, they were interesting times.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sb photos said:

 At that time I was using a Practika Super TL2 and MTL3 (stop down metering) with Zeiss 35mm and 135mm, plus the Pentagon 50mm, changed during the late 70's to Olympus OM1 then added the OM1n. Although it was long ago I'll never forget the OM1, they were interesting times.

 

I loved my OM1 - got it as a senior in college for Christmas 1979 and left to take it traipsing all over Europe for a month the very next day. Then used it for a year as a reporter/photographer for a NY suburban paper before I headed off to law school. My daughter used it a generation later in a high school photo class in 2010 when they were still teaching kids darkroom techniques, in the same darkroom where I first learned photography (we graduated from the same HS). By the time she took photography at NYU a few years later, we met up at B&H and I bought her a Nikon D3000 because by then it was all digital. One of my fondest memories of her college days is spending a day wandering around Central Park shooting with her after checking out an exhibit at the Met. Like me, she still love black and white photography. Thank goodness for silver effex pro. 

Edited by Marianne
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marianne said:

 

I loved my OM1 - got it as a senior in college for Christmas 1979 and left to take it traipsing all over Europe for a month the very next day. Then used it for a year as a reporter/photographer for a NY suburban paper before I headed off to law school. My daughter used it a generation later in a high school photo class in 2010 when they were still teaching kids darkroom techniques, in the same darkroom where I first learned photography (we graduated from the same HS). By the time she took photography at NYU a few years later, we met up at B&H and I bought her a Nikon D3000 because by then it was all digital. One of my fondest memories of her college days is spending a day wandering around Central Park shooting with her after checking out an exhibit at the Met. Like me, she still love black and white photography. Thank goodness for silver effex pro. 

 

+1  And the XA!

 

https://wiskerke.home.xs4all.nl/gear/4.jpg

 

But I loved the OM4Ti most. Porsches to my 1Ds3 Hummers. Now we have tiny RX100's of course.

 

wim

edit: Oww in Lego! Kawaiiii!

Edited by wiskerke
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Marianne said:

 

I loved my OM1 - got it as a senior in college for Christmas 1979 and left to take it traipsing all over Europe for a month the very next day. Then used it for a year as a reporter/photographer for a NY suburban paper before I headed off to law school. My daughter used it a generation later in a high school photo class in 2010 when they were still teaching kids darkroom techniques, in the same darkroom where I first learned photography (we graduated from the same HS). By the time she took photography at NYU a few years later, we met up at B&H and I bought her a Nikon D3000 because by then it was all digital. One of my fondest memories of her college days is spending a day wandering around Central Park shooting with her after checking out an exhibit at the Met. Like me, she still love black and white photography. Thank goodness for silver effex pro. 

 

My OM1's had a lot of use in all sorts of conditions. Only failure was a light meter, and that was quickly sorted by Olympus, then in Honduras Street, London. By the time I passed them on the leather cloth was worn and had been stuck back a few times with evostick. I did later buy on OM2, but hardly used it, preferring the OM1's. Both were used with autowinders. First lenses used were Vivitar series 1 35-85mm varifocal and 70-210, but then I changed to Zuiko primes. I classed them as the best film cameras I ever used. Then I mostly shot B&W film.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be retitled as the I Love Olympus OM film cameras thread😁

 

My first SLR was the OM10 which is where I learned the basics of exposure, then I had an OM1n and an OM2SP, where I discovered the advantages of spot metering, especially when shooting transparency film and the Zuiko primes were superb.

That kit got me started professionally but was nicked and I decided to replace it with a Nikon FM2 which along with an old Hasselblad 500C earned me a living until I went digital.

Phil

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

That kit got me started professionally but was nicked and I decided to replace it with a Nikon FM2 which along with an old Hasselblad 500C earned me a living until I went digital.

Phil

 

My OM kit was eventually replaced by Canon T90's and FDn lenses, 17mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 2 zooms. Still have one T90 and all the primes. The other T90 suffered from a failed LCD. Which reminds me I must sell the 17mm F4 while it still has value.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have a few Zuiko primes and I have adapters to use them on my Olympus and Sony mirrorless cameras. Lovely bokeh. 

 

My OM-1 got stolen out in California but they found it in a pawn shop so I got it back for $40. Was glad my dad made me be sure to copy the serial number. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2020 at 11:42, sb photos said:

 

My OM kit was eventually replaced by Canon T90's and FDn lenses, 17mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 2 zooms. Still have one T90 and all the primes. The other T90 suffered from a failed LCD. Which reminds me I must sell the 17mm F4 while it still has value.

Ah the dreaded EEE error.  I picked up a lovely T90 a couple of years ago that was in pristine condition and it is a joy to use.. it never let me down. 

Using film taught me a lot about discipline that I don't think would have happened if I'd jumped straight into buying a digital camera.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.