Jump to content

Sky replacement tool in Photoshop


Recommended Posts

I would like to try out the sky replacement tool as I have a vintage negative that shows strange light bands that appear as if they are rising up out of the people's heads and I have tried cloning etc but can't get rid of them ! However, for some reason the sky removal tool does not appear in the menu of my version of Photoshop cc ( subscription ) despite updating it ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I would like to try out the sky replacement tool as I have a vintage negative that shows strange light bands that appear as if they are rising up out of the people's heads and I have tried cloning etc but can't get rid of them ! However, for some reason the sky removal tool does not appear in the menu of my version of Photoshop cc ( subscription ) despite updating it ?

 

It's under the Edit tab. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on where you draw the border between artistry and actuality.
I have spent over 5 years living within the shadow of Flint Castle. Did JMW Turner really just happen upon that glorious, orange sunrise which he portrayed on his watercolour which hangs in the National Gallery? 
Did John Constable include in his famous painting, the passing dog which widdled upon the wheel of the Haywain? Did he?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

 

It's under the Edit tab. 

 

Yes ... or at least ... that is where it is supposed to be but it doesn't appear in mine !

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Are you sure you're on the latest version?  Should be 22.1.1

 

I'm probably not as I have had the subscription for a long time now but I thought that it would update to the latest version during auto updates ? So I have just checked and I'm on 14:2:1 but when I go to updates, it tells me there is nothing needing an update ... so I don't know how to get the latest version ...

Edited by Martyn
extra info
Link to post
Share on other sites

When Photoshop updates it doesn't automatically delete the previous versions so my guess it that the icon you are clicking on is taking you an earlier version.  I don't know if you are on Mac or PC but if Windows - right-click on the icon and select 'Properties'.  The 'Target' should read - "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Photoshop.exe".  If it's pointing somewhere else then that's your problem.  

 

People have had similar problems with Lightroom, see https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13936-lightroom-cc-classic/

 

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vincent Lowe said:

When Photoshop updates it doesn't automatically delete the previous versions so my guess it that the icon you are clicking on is taking you an earlier version.  I don't know if you are on Mac or PC but if Windows - right-click on the icon and select 'Properties'.  The 'Target' should read - "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Photoshop.exe".  If it's pointing somewhere else then that's your problem.  

 

People have had similar problems with Lightroom, see https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13936-lightroom-cc-classic/

 

 

Thanks Vincent ... I'm on an old Mac so can't figure out how to see the properties ! I was reading online that it can be updated by using the Adobe cloud desktop app so I downloaded it ... but when I try to launch it, it directs me to a verification page ... which is in Safari ... which can't open the page as my Safari / os is too old !! I am wondering if just uninstalling / reinstalling would fix the problem ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Martyn said:

 

Thanks Vincent ... I'm on an old Mac so can't figure out how to see the properties ! I was reading online that it can be updated by using the Adobe cloud desktop app so I downloaded it ... but when I try to launch it, it directs me to a verification page ... which is in Safari ... which can't open the page as my Safari / os is too old !! I am wondering if just uninstalling / reinstalling would fix the problem ...

 

What version of MacOs are you using? If older than Sierra 10.12. then the latest CC apps won't work. If you are on Sierra, then either update to the latest version of Safari or try Firefox or Chrome. If you get that far then I will help you to sort out your Photoshop versions.

Edited by MDM
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MDM said:

 

What version of MacOs are you using? If older than Sierra 10.12. then CC apps won't work. If you are on Sierra, then either update to the latest version of Safari or try Firefox or Chrome. If you get that far then I will help you to sort out your Photoshop versions.

 

Many Thanks MDM ... I'm still using the Mountain Lion that was installed on the Mac when I bought it !! I need to update the os so have downloaded it but not installed it as I haven't backed everything up yet in case it goes wrong ! I use Chrome now as Safari will not open much at all now but that needs updating as well ... but I can't update that either until I install the newer os !

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK definitely a good idea to back up. If you manage to get Sierra or later installed and you want any further help I am not too far from a computer or an iPad most of the time at the moment and happy to help. There may also be minimum hardware requirements (8 GB of RAM, 2GB GPU with Metal Support) for latest Photoshop.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MizBrown said:

If you go to the Apple icon and click "About This Mac," what does it tell you about your Mac? 

 

Version 10.7.5, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 2.5GHz Intel core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB, Mac OS X Lion ... ancient !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

 

Version 10.7.5, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 2.5GHz Intel core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB, Mac OS X Lion ... ancient !!


Well that is saying there is enough  RAM (16GB) but the graphics card (512MB) is insufficient to run the latest version of Photoshop. I don’t know if it is upgradeable but probably not and probably not worth doing in any case just to run Photoshop. 
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MDM said:

 


Well that is saying there is enough  RAM (16GB) but the graphics card (512MB) is insufficient to run the latest version of Photoshop. I don’t know if it is upgradeable but probably not and probably not worth doing in any case just to run Photoshop. 
 

 

Thanks MDM, I will probably have to live with it as it is then ! I'm surprised it even runs the version Of Photoshop cc that it does then as I didn't realise the latest version needed that much more ... I guess I can manage with what I have for now !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Martyn said:

 

Thanks MDM, I will probably have to live with it as it is then ! I'm surprised it even runs the version Of Photoshop cc that it does then as I didn't realise the latest version needed that much more ... I guess I can manage with what I have for now !


No problem Martyn. It might be worth updating the OS at some point just for security reasons as later versions have a lot better security built in. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2DG21R4.jpg

I was having a lot of fun with the easy-to-use Photoshop Sky Replacement Tool. This is one that I feel works; I was able to match the new sky with the lighting on the building. 

 

What I would like to do know is use some of my own sky images. I don't know how to do that? 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

I was having a lot of fun with the easy-to-use Photoshop Sky Replacement Tool. This is one that I feel works; I was able to match the new sky with the lighting on the building. 

 

What I would like to do know is use some of my own sky images. I don't know how to do that? 

When you are in the sky replacement tool, click on the top image then scroll it down to the bottom. There you will see a plus sign. Find your sky image then hit OK

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rico said:

When you are in the sky replacement tool, click on the top image then scroll it down to the bottom. There you will see a plus sign. Find your sky image then hit OK

 

Lovely images in your port, Rico. Thanks and viva la Canada! Plus, eh. I'll try that after I get some new pics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Now and into the next year might be a good time to buy a used newer model iMac (check the supported list).  My "Late 2015" iMac still is on the supported list, but may not be in the near future. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The Sky replacement filter can be very useful for some stock images to make the image more saleable if used carefully. Obviously not to be used for news or factual images. In photoshop it is easy enough to add your own skies to the tool and to alter colours, opacitity and blending to make it look real. Used sparingly I don't really see the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The camera has lied from the day of the very first image. It was a mono image and the subject had colour.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2021 at 11:22, Allan Bell said:

The camera has lied from the day of the very first image. It was a mono image and the subject had colour.

 

Allan

 

I used to have that very argument at my camera club back in the 80s when it was preached that true photography was black and white!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.