First, I have not read all posts in this thread, but I do have a major concern about licensing images to non professionals.

Lately I have seen a few of my "Historic" images licensed for very small fees to "non professionals" and latter I find these

images posted on social media with no proper credit and one very rare exclusive image of mine posted on Wikipedia as

"Creative Common".  I tracked down the posting and sent take down notices to every party concerned and the image was

removed and in one case properly credited as copyrighted.

Part of the problem is the growing number of publications posting images on their web sites and people just copying them

and posting them on social media without any credit and sometimes using them to illustrate their own point of view, one which

has little or nothing to do with what the original image illustrates.

I have allowed groups and individuals who are working for a common good, one that I support to use my images, if they illustrate

their and my issue, but I make sure that they understand the "I must approve all public use and that I retain the copyright."

I do not have a solution to this and am open to all suggestions.

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 1

The problem of copying is far more prevalent when images are published on websites of major newspaper sites. Typically these pay a handful of $ ie) these are 'professional' buyers. The images can be downloaded by a mouse click and are automatically 'scraped' and copied all over the internet. 

Not through Alamy but my images published on the BBC global homepage bring 15p to me. Again 'professional' buyers.

The stock photography market is totally saturated, exploring new markets such as education users makes sense but there must be limits of image size and clear-cut usage limits. It should also be optional - perhaps it is already.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I've asked if any school/college/university can access this offer and what the procedure is for doing so. 

ie) what would interested schools have to do 

Good letter that you sent to Alamy. Thanks.

It doesn't sound as if Alamy is very interested in expanding this market. If they were, I think they would move to a subscription model -- or something similar -- for students and educators, plus limit file size as you've suggested and advertise the service on their website.

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Good letter that you sent to Alamy. Thanks.

It doesn't sound as if Alamy is very interested in expanding this market. If they were, I think they would move to a subscription model -- or something similar -- for students and educators, plus limit file size as you've suggested and advertise the service on their website.

I think that it is just stating a fact to say that if they are trying to market this scheme they haven't been successful.  

The whole point of micro prices for micro uses is VOLUME. Without volume it must be a waste of time for Alamy.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

I think there is a huge difference between a "student project" and a "dissertation."  "Dissertation" to me usually means a publication resulting from research that usually is related to obtaining a PhD or some other serious professional credential.  Some years ago I licensed one of my images (through my own website) for $100 to be used on the cover of a PhD dissertation.  It would have been outrageous to have licensed that image for the price Alamy is getting for these "student projects, presentations, or essays."  Alamy should remove "dissertations" from the list of allowed uses at those "academic" prices.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Ollie said:

I think there is a huge difference between a "student project" and a "dissertation."  "Dissertation" to me usually means a publication resulting from research that usually is related to obtaining a PhD or some other serious professional credential.  Some years ago I licensed one of my images (through my own website) for $100 to be used on the cover of a PhD dissertation.  It would have been outrageous to have licensed that image for the price Alamy is getting for these "student projects, presentations, or essays."  Alamy should remove "dissertations" from the list of allowed uses at those "academic" prices.

If that is outrageous I'm not sure how you would describe licensing images to national newspapers with a circulation of 1.5 million for $3-4.

Though I agree that the category is far too broad at the moment. The price should be for individual use by one student or one teacher in their personal work not for production of whole-school resources ( which would then most likely be shared with other institutions). 

A small web res image is all that is needed for most of these uses - totally crazy to be dishing out high res images for 99 cents.

I didn't get a reply to my second email asking how students and teachers can participate in this. So maybe any fears are without foundation and that this has been a limited trial with only a small number of schools/colleges.

Certainly if such a scheme is going to have any success it doesn't make any sense for it to be top secret.

Edited by geogphotos

The second email I mentioned above and the reply.

Thanks XXX,

Is the licence available to all schools, colleges and universities and if so how would they set it up so that students can have access?

I'm asking because I am a former teacher and feel very positive about the potential market here. I have many contacts in education. 

Specifically, if I want to add this option to my website what should interested students/teachers do to be able to access this licence.

Regards

Ian 

Reply from Alamy 

Hi Ian

We know that the option will only be visible if you are searching for imagery from an academic IP address – we’ve asked our colleague for more details around this.

We’ll get back to you.

Since "student use" is outside of Alamy's standard licensing models and isn't covered by the price calculator, shouldn't it be part of the Novel Use scheme?  This would give us the chance to opt out of the program in its present form.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Since "student use" is outside of Alamy's standard licensing models and isn't covered by the price calculator, shouldn't it be part of the Novel Use scheme?  This would give us the chance to opt out of the program in its present form.

Perhaps it is. I agree that it should be an opt-in scheme.

Edited by geogphotos

A further reply from Alamy:

Hi Ian

We’ve gathered more information on the student license and it has been confirmed that the license is available to select universities with their academic IP address – however, it is worth noting that this is still in trial.

• Thanks 1

On 05/11/2020 at 09:36, geogphotos said:

A further reply from Alamy:

Hi Ian

We’ve gathered more information on the student license and it has been confirmed that the license is available to select universities with their academic IP address – however, it is worth noting that this is still in trial.

I wonder whom the information had to be "gathered from". Isn't this an Alamy program?

On 06/11/2020 at 18:27, John Mitchell said:

I wonder whom the information had to be "gathered from". Isn't this an Alamy program?

My reading of it was that the Alamy staff member ( and team, thus  'we') have gathered more information from within Alamy about what this trial initiative that is not well known even within the company. 

10 hours ago, geogphotos said:

My reading of it was that the Alamy staff member ( and team, thus  'we') have gathered more information from within Alamy about what this trial initiative that is not well known even within the company. 

Sounds like a plausible theory -- better than a conspiracy theory. 😎

7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Good luck. Do you plan to market this somehow?

I used to offer a personal use download option (different sizes) on my PS website but never got any takers, so I discontinued it.

14 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Good luck. Do you plan to market this somehow?

I used to offer a personal use download option (different sizes) on my PS website but never got any takers, so I discontinued it.

I'll punt 30 quid on a Facebook advert to geography teachers. 

Just a bit of fun, might see some site visitors. Teachers just steal pictures.....

25 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Just a bit of fun, might see some site visitors. Teachers just steal pictures.....

The FB ad sounds like a good idea. I stopped classroom teaching way back in the late 90's (I just do some tutoring now), so I didn't get much of a chance to steal pictures off the Web. 😁

How are you defining "personal use"? Would you include non-commercial use on personal blogs?

6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

The FB ad sounds like a good idea. I stopped classroom teaching way back in the late 90's (I just do some tutoring now), so I didn't get much of a chance to steal pictures off the Web. 😁

How are you defining "personal use"? Would you include non-commercial use on personal blogs?

Yes I would. Good point I do need to define that, basically anything that is not commercial and doesn't involve sharing the digital file with others. 

This image may be purchased for your personal and education use only, not be shared with others online or offline, not used for any product.

Edited by geogphotos

37 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes I would. Good point I do need to define that, basically anything that is not commercial and doesn't involve sharing the digital file with others. 

Yes, I think it would be impossible to stop people from using images online -- blogs, social media, etc. -- so you might as well include those uses. This of course means that your images will get "borrowed" endlessly, but I guess that's life in the digital age. I might consider experimenting with personal / educational use again at some point. I'm finding it tough to get motivated these days, though. I tend to fiddle with my website in fits and starts. As you know, PS has a "Personal Use" pricing profile that can be modified to your liking. That's what I used. You can also offer different file sizes.

Edited by John Mitchell

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

This image may be purchased for your personal and education use only, not be shared with others online or offline, not used for any product.

You've inspired me to add an Education / Personal use pricing option to some of my galleries. Shall report back if there is any interest.

P.S. I offered two sizes -- 500 and 1500 pixels.

Edited by John Mitchell

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2020 at 13:19, geogphotos said:

I accept your point. No need for anything but very low res images for dissertation/Powerpoint/essay. 

Licence today:

Additional Details: Pack of 30 unwatermarked, copyright-safe, high resolution images for use by a student or teacher at an academic institution for any non-commercial project such as teaching materials, dissertations, presentations or essays.

HR? Really?! Why?

And the need to put "copyright-safe"? Seriously?! Safe how?

Edited by losdemas

Copyright-safe means for them to use. That is one of the points of them paying for a licence rather than stealing from Google and screen grabs.

It is something that educational authorities should be insisting on in their institutions but until now seem to prefer to turn a blind eye or just don't know enough about the subject. 

I also wonder why they would need high-res but then who does these days with so much being electronic use?

On 14/11/2020 at 18:25, geogphotos said:

As you well know, in the UK, if teachers are using them within their own classrooms, it's almost never theft, it's an allowed use (exception to copyright).

"the copying of works in any medium as long as the use is solely to illustrate a point, it is not done for commercial purposes, it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement, and the use is fair dealing. This means minor uses, such as displaying a few lines of poetry on an interactive whiteboard, are permitted, but uses which would undermine sales of teaching materials are not"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

also in the US  https://copyright.universityofcalifornia.edu/use/teaching.html

th EU https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/MEMO_19_1849

Canada: https://guides.library.uoit.ca/copyright/copyrightexceptions

and presumably other countries.