2B19KM2 0013IDM geogphotos 27 October 2020 Rights Managed

Usage: Student Projects, For non-commercial use in projects such as dissertations, presentations or essays.
Industry sector: Education
Image Size: Any size
Start: 27 October 2020
Duration: In perpetuity

$ 0.99
Edited by geogphotos

This is one of my first 'back to film' images and I am very pleased that a student has found it to be of use in their studies. 

I have no complaints about the fee either. I don't have a problem with micro fees for micro uses - that is what RM is about. 

What I would like to know is how this student found that the image was available at this price for this use because I can't see the option? The nearest I can see is Personal Use for £9.99 in UK.

More broadly how does Alamy advertise the availability of images to students and the general public - or do these buyers blow in by chance and word of mouth - if so that hardly seems much of a marketing strategy?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Not sure, but maybe they sign up as a student contributor and thereby automatically get the option to licence at reduced rates?

Seems quite a small potential market base given the number of students there are in the world.

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Seems quite a small potential market base given the number of students there are in the world.

Can't disagree with that.

Perhaps why you see so few (your first? I've never seen any) of these sales.

Edited by losdemas

1 minute ago, losdemas said:

Can't disagree with that.

Perhaps why you see so few (your first? I've never seen any) of these sales.

I realise that a lot of contributors don't like these sort of fees but if Alamy are going to offer them they might as well build some sort of platform for opt in and then advertise it. Hardly seems worth it otherwise for them to get 49p commission on a one-off sale.

There could be a huge market for this. 

But I don't see why an image of 'any size' is necessary. A low res one would be fine for a written report. 

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I realise that a lot of contributors don't like these sort of fees but if Alamy are going to offer them they might as well build some sort of platform for opt in and then advertise it. Hardly seems worth it otherwise for them to get 49p commission on a one-off sale.

There could be a huge market for this. 

But I don't see why an image of 'any size' is necessary. A low res one would be fine for a written report. 

i would agree with you - totally! - but I am too concerned that, as the introduction of PU/Presentation has proven, Alamy have next to no interest in ensuring that the end use is that stated. It would just result in a large volume of 49p licences for other uses.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, losdemas said:

i would agree with you - totally! - but I am too concerned that, as the introduction of PU/Presentation has proven, Alamy have next to no interest in ensuring that the end use is that stated. It would just result in a large volume of 49p licences for other uses.

I accept your point. No need for anything but very low res images for dissertation/Powerpoint/essay. 

• Like 4

Just now, geogphotos said:

That's for student photographers submitting their images to Alamy and being offered 100% commission.

They do refer to buying and selling and that Alamy staffers visit schools and colleges to spread the word, hence sales?

14 minutes ago, Normspics said:

They do refer to buying and selling and that Alamy staffers visit schools and colleges to spread the word, hence sales?

True - I assumed that meant explaining how the stock photo industry worked rather than pitching the availability of images fro their use. 

That’s why we also travel to schools across the UK and US to talk to students about both buying and selling stock photography. 

Just now, geogphotos said:

True - I assumed that meant explaining how the stock photo industry worked rather than pitching the availability of images fro their use. 

That’s why we also travel to schools across the UK and US to talk to students about both buying and selling stock photography. 

I hadn’t known about the student licence until reading your post, so with that in mind I made the link that Alamy was selling the idea of students to sell photos as stock photographers to ensure future supply of images, but I felt it read as a pitch to get students to buy images for projects. Maybe Alamy might comment on this to clear it up.

I just assumed that students come across images -- perhaps through Google searches -- and then contact Alamy -- i.e. there is no marketing strategy as such.

As mentioned in a previous thread, a subscription model would make sense for education/student use.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I just assumed that students come across images -- perhaps through Google searches -- and then contact Alamy -- i.e. there is no marketing strategy as such.

As mentioned in a previous thread, a subscription model would make sense for education/student use.

How would they go about contacting Alamy? Phone up and be offered images for $0.99? I doubt it.

And why would Alamy offer such a low fee as a one-off to a casual enquirer who could be anybody?

This is what puzzles me about this sale.

33 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

How would they go about contacting Alamy? Phone up and be offered images for $0.99? I doubt it.

And why would Alamy offer such a low fee as a one-off to a casual enquirer who could be anybody?

My guess is that we'll probably never know the answers. Welcome to the time of conspiracy theories and alternative facts. 🙄

Edited by John Mitchell

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

My guess is that we'll probably never know the answers. Welcome to the time of conspiracy theories and alternative facts. 🙄

And I don't suppose that we are supposed to bother Alamy who have not communicated anything about how the business is operating since March. 🙃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

And I don't suppose that we are supposed to bother Alamy who have not communicated anything about how the business is operating since March. 🙃

It almost looks as if "Student Projects" use has been run through the price calculator:

Usage: Student Projects, For non-commercial use in projects such as dissertations, presentations or essays.
Industry sector: Education
Image Size: Any size
Start: 27 October 2020
Duration: In perpetuity

However, those choices/parameters don't exist in the calculator menu. Curious.

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I've only ever had one license sale under the Student Projects, For non-commercial use in projects such as dissertations, presentations or essays terms some time back, and thankfully none since. My thoughts then were even a student could budget for more than the $1.05 then licence fee. On the other hand I had sold multiple images from the same shoot via Alamy to the Guardian, and some direct to a human rights organisation in the USA. The student sale was was a grab shot, the last as I left the protest that caught my attention due to the banner, no real effort put into it. Still, $1.05 and your $0.99 are ridiculous fees and there being no option to withdraw from them. What checks Alamy apply re validity for the license use who knows. If they applied checks as performed by software companies for student software licenses the minuscule fee wouldn't be covered by the effort involved.

Edited by sb photos

7 hours ago, Normspics said:

As a stock photo site why wouldn’t they push the photo buying aspect to students

I really hope that Alamy do encourage students to buy stock photos for their studies - they are tomorrow's customers buying today!

With that in mind I am curious to know how this sale happened. 

What could I tell teachers about how students could buy Alamy images - what is the procedure, how can they do what this student has done?

For example, what could I write on my blog to make clear that my images are available at 75p ( 99 cents) for their studies? 

As I mentioned many photographers do not like these very low fees so ideally Alamy needs an opt-in platform and some organisation followed by marketing. Otherwise I'm not sure that it is worth their time.

Edited by geogphotos

I thought it best to ask Alamy:

Hello @ Alamy,

I'm curious to know more about the student use licence for 99 cents. For example, how can students access this licence since it does not appear on the price calculator? How do they get to know about it? Or is it something agreed with a specific institution only and not  generally available?

I started a discussion thread on the contributors' forum and others are also puzzled ( and concerned! ) by it. My view is positive as I feel this is a huge potential market. But what can I tell teachers and students about getting these images - do they phone you, seems like a lot of bother for such low fees? Have you thought about creating an opt-in platform of images and marketing it for student use?

Licence details below.  With your permission I will post any answer on the forum.

Thanks

Ian Murray
  • Love 1

Hi Ian

This is a licence aimed specifically at students and lecturers for student resources and can only be purchased from an academic IP address.

The licence allows the image purchased by students or academic staff to be used in non-commercial projects such as teaching materials, dissertations, presentations or essays.

Kind regards

xxxxx

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1