Lucky shots...

John Morrison

Edo, your very nice chicken and elderly woman image reminded me of this one I took in San Miguel de Allende many moons ago. I was lucky that one else was under the portales lining the main square. You probably couldn't capture a scene like this today as that area is now usually crowded with vendors and tourists. San Miguel was a very different place back then. I liked it much better before it became the hip town that it is now.

The last journey

bent-over-old-mexican-woman-walking-unde

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 5

I was on my back patio, late evening just after a summer shower. I was focused on the tree near the bird feeders waiting for a bird to land.

My neighbor had a rose of sharon bush just on the other side of the fence, only a few feet from where I sat. I glanced over at it just in time to see this backlit Monarch butterfly.

A868HR.jpg

• Love 2

San Miguel is still a charming village, John, but like all important and attractive places, it has been overrun by visitors in recent times. Will that be the situation after the virus? My crystal ball is not working. They had the best bistro cuisine of anywhere I've been. 

If you want to get lucky with subjects, you have to show up. 

Travelling through the desert in Israel with a small group when the driver received a radio call informing him our destination was closed due to an incident. My travelling companions wandered off to look down a canyon whereas I was more interested in the crucifix on top of the obelisk .... this soldier appeared briefly and I just had enough time to get the one shot ...

Soldier holding gun standing next to his jeep and stone column with crucifix on top under a blue sky,Israel. Stock Photo

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yeah, Paulette. I too have trouble with them. I know FBI means fools with below-average intelligence. CIA? Cynical intelligence agency? KGB stands for keep Germans back. T'was a WW2 group. 

TLA are SOP ...

18 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I think Allan means electronic viewfinder. EVF.

Eye Level Viewfinder. It is a standard abbreviation and seen it used many times.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I use my right eye. ELV?

I have seen other photographers using there right eye when taking photos and that seems to leave the left eye free to see the overall picture outside of the viewfinder.

My left eye is my dominant one and I always use it against the ELV when taking photos but the rest of the cameraand my right hand blocks my view of the wider field.

Allan

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Eye Level Viewfinder. It is a standard abbreviation and seen it used many times.

Allan

Waist level, WLF, yes, ELF, yes, but ELV? New to me. And to Ed.

If you google it, the only recent reference  is you, on this forum.

36 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Waist level, WLF, yes, ELF, yes, but ELV? New to me. And to Ed.

If you google it, the only recent reference  is you, on this forum.

OT, since i enjoyed your images so much earlier this year, not sure if you'll see what i found part if other discussion.  On AOA i found 15 searches in last month where people searching for "New Zealand" searched it without a space "Newzealand" 8 of which got at least one zoom, and one reported a sale.  So may be worth a quick add in AIM.

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Thanks 1