"Greater" and "Lesser" photographers.

3 hours ago, aphperspective said:

I used to visit Hebden Bridge when living in Littleborough (Just outside Rochdale). There was a great little shop selling all sorts of china ware factory seconds that was destined for high end high street shops. I could never find any flaws in it, got many a bargain with table services and huge centre plates.

I was born in Yorkshire but  brought up in Rochdale! Lived there from when I was 5 until 16. Then lived in London for 11 years before settling in Oxford.

On 14/10/2020 at 08:04, Inchiquin said:

The Blue Teapot?

Alan

I can't remember its name. Additional to the inside seating there were tables each side of the door by the canal. Would have to check photos I took, but I'm away from home at the moment.

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I remember seeing Gracie Field's home on the Isle of Capri, and thinking what a tough decision that must have been for her: Rochdale... or Capri... 😀

Must have been tough  choosing between sunny Capri and Rochdale with the winter winter wind screaming down off the Pennines and cobbled streets covered in ice. Where I lived Littleborough was higher than Rochdale and the winters were brutal.

4 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I feel inferior because I've never visited Hebden Bridge

Never mind Andy most havn't been to Innishannon ( think it was you in the layby next to the river on the windy road coming out on Tuesday) would have stopped but a lorry was inside me just as we drew level.

Edited by aphperspective
edit

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

I can't remember its name. Additional to the inside seating there were tables each side of the door by the canal. Would have to check photos I took, but I'm away from home at the moment.

If it was beside the canal then it wasn't the Blue Teapot. I couldn't think of a café actually by the canal but I don't often walk that stretch of canal.

Alan

24 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Never mind Andy most havn't been to Innishannon ( think it was you in the layby next to the river on the windy road coming out on Tuesday) would have stopped but a lorry was inside me just as we drew level.

Yep, that was me.  Shooting a few trucks with Jackie, wondering how to monetise it now...  Coffee soon

3 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Where I lived Littleborough was higher than Rochdale and the winters were brutal.

Pretty bad in Rochdale in 1963 I think it was. Had to be carried to school by my dad because the snow was too deep for me to walk through! And our bedroom windows used to ice up on the inside...no central heating then! 

7 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I was born in Yorkshire but  brought up in Rochdale! Lived there from when I was 5 until 16. Then lived in London for 11 years before settling in Oxford.

I used to visit Rochdale regularly in from 1985 to 1989, staying with a friend at Syke and working the weekend. Lost contact with him since his marriage broke up.

Edited by sb photos

58 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Pretty bad in Rochdale in 1963 I think it was. Had to be carried to school by my dad because the snow was too deep for me to walk through! And our bedroom windows used to ice up on the inside...no central heating then! 

I do remember one winter when getting up at 5am to go to work and forgot to set the heating timer in my little cottage and found the tooth paste gone solid in the tube.

13 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Pretty bad in Rochdale in 1963 I think it was.

It was bad everywhere. The streets of London were paved with solid ice for weeks. I lost count of the number of times I slid and ended on my bum while walking to school.

Alan

2 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

The streets of London were paved with solid ice for weeks.

In the hard winter of 1962/63, Lake Windermere froze over (it hasn't happened since), and me and my mum skated on the ice. Shame no one thought to take any pix...

1963 was my first experience of winter in UK having spent the previous 20 or so winters in Canada. Seemed pretty normal to me except that clearing snow from narrow lanes didn't seem to work well. I know, doesn't happen often enough to re-design the whole road system. As far as I can detect, there are only two snow shovels in this village. I own both of them! For the first few years after we moved out here, it would snow and there would be the muffled footsteps past the house to the shop where the shelves would be stripped of beans and bread. Loo paper hoarding was not yet a priority

There has been no skating on The Fens for a very long time

Edited by Robert M Estall

That was my year of studying in London --- straight from Southern California with none of the right clothes or experience. I wonder how I survived. There was also one of the famous fogs and that was rather fun in its weird way.

Paulette

Freezing cold is NOT character building, shorts or skirts or whatever. Even Canadians don't seriously try to sell that notion. They learn how to keep warm one way or another. The Russians just drink even more vodka or so I'm told. Never been. Scots definitely wear something warm under their kilts when the snow blows

Edited by Robert M Estall