"Greater" and "Lesser" photographers.

Oh, guys ...

I couldn't resist

I just googled Hebden Bridge and I'm thinking to visit it.

So, here's my plan:

1. arriving to the UK 

2. arriving to Hebden Bridge /just immediately/

3. renting a nice place with 360 degrees view over the town

4. using the 14 days of self-isolation to make as many pics as I can......

Woo - hoooooooooo............ 🙂

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

9 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Oh, guys ...

I couldn't resist

I just googled Hebden Bridge and I'm thinking to visit it.

So, here's my plan:

1. arriving to the UK 

2. arriving to Hebden Bridge /just immediately/

3. hiring a nice place with 360 degrees view over the town

4. using the 14 days of self-isolation to make as many pics as I can......

Wo- hoooooooooo............ 🙂

Good idea. See you in the Fox & Goose for a pint...

Middle-aged man in the Fox & Goose pub, Hebden Bridge, Calderdale, West Yorkshire, England UK Stock Photo

• Love 1

John has the same initials as me, so I just assumed that he is a "greater" photographer. 😁

That said, we're all riding the same leaky barge, so there really are no lesser or greater photographers here, only those who are better than others at passing QC.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Martin Parr used to live in Hebden Bridge.

He was the first proper photographer I showed my pix too... many, many years ago, in HB. They were "snapshots", he said... and he was quite right...

This is 'very Hebden Bridge' (in the good old days)...

Edited by John Morrison
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, John Morrison said:

He was the first proper photographer I showed my pix too... many, many years ago, in HB. They were "snapshots", he said... and he was quite right...

I think I was allowed to bring him coffee.

wim

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Incursions? I used to live in Hebden Bridge, so a lot of your pix are very familiar... 😀

I've visited Hebden Bridge quite a few times, the first time long ago when I moored a narrow boat on the canal overnight. Later I would sometimes stop off there on the way when visiting my sister near Skipton. I often enjoyed the canal walk to a lovely cafe run by two women. Parking in Hebden Bridge can be difficult, I often park along the road that passes the railway station. My only pictures from there with Alamy are of an anti grouse shooting rally, they have sold well. This year was the first in a long time I haven't visited Yorkshire.

Humor is the great equalizer. When one laughs with another, all barriers are gone. I’ve always been one to relate to friends and family when I do something really dumb, but funny. Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you.

I had a friend (I thought) who would laugh at my stories, then repeat them to the doctor we worked for with eye rolls and grimaces, a making fun of way, making me sound like I was dumber than a hog. Right in front of me. I quit telling her anything.
Ed has a great dry, wry sense of humor. He pokes fun at himself like I do. Except mine is more slapstick. 🤪

Just woken up to the news that Chris Killip has died, aged 74, with words of appreciation, coincidentally, by Martin Parr. Chris Killip was an uncompromising character, who shot mostly with a 5x4in camera; his pictures, of the north-east of England, are powerful, unforgettable. Years ago, when I worked on Camera magazine, I interviewed him at his house. With the only furniture being a table and a chair, Chris apologised that he’d only just moved in (though, after a few beers in his local pub, he admitted he’d lived there for ten years). Next morning he offered me the “standard breakfast”, which turned out to be two asprin!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Martin Parr used to live in Hebden Bridge.

Time

Metro

Magnum

wim

edit: from Bad weather:

He gave a lecture in Boston in the 80s so I have a first edition of "Bad Weather". It's my second most valuable possession.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Even I have been to Hebden Bridge, and I'm not even British.

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've never heard of Hebden Bridge. Is it near Kamloops? 😎

I've never been to Hebden Bridge, but I have been to Kamloops - and I am British!

John.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had a friend (I thought) who would laugh at my stories, then repeat them to the doctor we worked for with eye rolls and grimaces, a making fun of way, making me sound like I was dumber than a hog. Right in front of me. I quit telling her anything.
Ed has a great dry, wry sense of humor. He pokes fun at himself like I do. Except mine is more slapstick. 🤪

This has somehow made me think of a Southern expression I just learned. "Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining." Those Southern expressions are the best.

Paulette

• Love 1

20 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

John has the same initials as me, so I just assumed that he is a "greater" photographer. 😁

That said, we're all riding the same leaky barge, so there really are no lesser or greater photographers here, only those who are better than others at passing QC.

GRrrrrrrr!

Allan

I visited 'Ebden Bridge when I was working in Halifax back in the early 1970's. At that time I was not "doing" photography therefore no visual record exists in my port.

Allan

I used to visit Hebden Bridge when living in Littleborough (Just outside Rochdale). There was a great little shop selling all sorts of china ware factory seconds that was destined for high end high street shops. I could never find any flaws in it, got many a bargain with table services and huge centre plates.