Jump to content

Hello from Lockdown!


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone!

I just found out there are forums here when I returned to Alamy to actually post my approved images for sale. Waiting for my first 3 photos to go up on site now!

 

I originally signed up in early September, then Melbourne got locked down and well, I haven't gotten out to photograph more yet. I think Ill have to keep going through some old nature photos of mine and add more from those for now. Hopefully, we'll be allowed to travel a bit further soon, there are so many beautiful places to shoot in Victoria.

 

I'm sure animals and nature are probably categories full to the brim on Alamy, and I don't expect to make a living on here, hopefully just some passive hobby income, but do tell me about your success stories please!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and Welcome Esme to the forum !

 

Sure there are loads of nature and animal photos in Alamy but there is still a chance to sell if you get the right shot with good keywording.

 

If you would like to know what sells in Alamy then check out these two threads for October ( one gets created for every month).

 

 

 

 

 

Best,

Gnans

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gnans said:

Hello and Welcome Esme to the forum !

 

Sure there are loads of nature and animal photos in Alamy but there is still a chance to sell if you get the right shot with good keywording.

 

If you would like to know what sells in Alamy then check out these two threads for October ( one gets created for every month).

 

 

Hi Esme, welcome.

 

Gnans,

The 'Images Sold' threads are a good starting point, but are almost totally dominated by landscapes/townscapes and occasional animal shots. I'm sure lots of other genres sell and I'm sure most people don't show their repeat sellers or most successful shots (myself included!)

Steve

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Esme said:

Hey everyone!

I just found out there are forums here when I returned to Alamy to actually post my approved images for sale. Waiting for my first 3 photos to go up on site now!

 

I originally signed up in early September, then Melbourne got locked down and well, I haven't gotten out to photograph more yet. I think Ill have to keep going through some old nature photos of mine and add more from those for now. Hopefully, we'll be allowed to travel a bit further soon, there are so many beautiful places to shoot in Victoria.

 

I'm sure animals and nature are probably categories full to the brim on Alamy, and I don't expect to make a living on here, hopefully just some passive hobby income, but do tell me about your success stories please!

 

I don't do animals to any extent, but looking though the papers these photos do sell. However, unless you get a current live news sale, (bear eating man would be good 😉) the fees are pretty poor.

 

Presumably they are also used in textbooks etc which pay appreciably more. However, there is a stack of competition out there. 

 

While there are some niche areas that are very rewarding, for most of us I think that a large variety of subject matter and locations is the way forward.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve F said:

people don't show their repeat sellers or most successful shots

I'm sure we all have our secret recipe Steve 😛

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info and tips everyone! I think my biggest thing is avoiding the complexities of model releases or copyright content in the shot and the like.

 

I hope once we can move around here again, I could also add city shots and other architecture too. It sounds like, even though we choose two things were likely to upload on our profile, we can upload anything really.

 

It was a serious shame I took all my Europe shots on my phone at the time!! I didn't want to lug the Nikon across multiple countries back then. Haha They're good shots, but completely unacceptable here. Might look at putting those ones up elsewhere.

 

Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.