October 2020 favorite uploads

Bill Brooks

Thank you, Cecile. We are getting nests every year. You will notice they used some untraditional nest material of blue and white plastic. I'm a couple of blocks from Washington Square and I think they see us as a safe nook away from a lot of people. They don't stick around once the babes have left the nest.

Paulette

A female Australian Peewee, also called a Magpie Lark + the head of a chick. This comes with a "so far" nice story. The nest is quite high in a neighbour's tree, just over our back fence. Two days after I shot this, the chick came out of the nest, it is not fledged. We found it late in the evening and kept it in care overnight. Early yesterday morning we went and bought a hanging planter lined with coconut fibre and put the basket and chick in direct line of the nest. Both parents immediately came and started feeding the chick. It is still going, and growing well. And I have been helping the parents with extra food, as they still have another baby in the nest. It's little wing and tail feathers are growing, but I'm guessing it needs 2-3 more days to fledge. So there's still a long way for it to go, and hubby & I are spending a lot of time running outside when the parents give an alarm call, as there are many predator birds about.

magpie-lark-also-known-as-the-peewee-peewit-or-mudlark-grallina-cyanoleuca-female-bird-is-on-the-side-of-the-nest-made-from-mud-there-is-the-head-2D67T7G.jpg

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 6

Uploaded both some old and some new photos so far this month and did some culling:

2D6AC79.jpg

Coleus from a cutting my helper gave me.  Taken recently before we transplanted it into a bigger pot.

2D6ACB2.jpg

Some of my convict cichlids -- In focus -- adult female on left, juvenile on right, with two other juveniles. 

2D6ACB8.jpg

A different year's rainy season,  in front of my second rental house here.  Shopkeeper and tortilla maker wait for the rain to stop in Jinotega, Nicaragua.

Edited by MizBrown
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, MizBrown said:

2D6AC79.jpg

Coleus from a cutting my helper gave me.  Taken recently before we transplanted it into a bigger pot.

Bright Summer bedding or greenhouse plants for us in the UK.  They're now known as Solenostemon scutellarioides (until the taxonomists change it yet again!) so you may want to update your keywords,

11 hours ago, cbimages said:

A female Australian Peewee, also called a Magpie Lark + the head of a chick. This comes with a "so far" nice story. The nest is quite high in a neighbour's tree, just over our back fence. Two days after I shot this, the chick came out of the nest, it is not fledged. We found it late in the evening and kept it in care overnight. Early yesterday morning we went and bought a hanging planter lined with coconut fibre and put the basket and chick in direct line of the nest. Both parents immediately came and started feeding the chick. It is still going, and growing well. And I have been helping the parents with extra food, as they still have another baby in the nest. It's little wing and tail feathers are growing, but I'm guessing it needs 2-3 more days to fledge. So there's still a long way for it to go, and hubby & I are spending a lot of time running outside when the parents give an alarm call, as there are many predator birds about.

magpie-lark-also-known-as-the-peewee-peewit-or-mudlark-grallina-cyanoleuca-female-bird-is-on-the-side-of-the-nest-made-from-mud-there-is-the-head-2D67T7G.jpg

What a nice story (and photo).

Paulette

• Love 1

6 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Bright Summer bedding or greenhouse plants for us in the UK.  They're now known as Solenostemon scutellarioides (until the taxonomists change it yet again!) so you may want to update your keywords,

Thanks.   Fish and orchids also have this problem, which is getting somewhat better now with DNA studies.   A lot of plants that are treated as annuals up north grow to be shrubs here over several years.   

Fall is my favourite season for photography. Not the best weather here so far, but hopefully we'll get a few more dry days before the leaves blow away altogether.

Wind-blown red maple leaf

closeup-of-a-single-red-maple-leaf-acer-

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cbimages said:

Gorgeous picture Carol. Their alarm call is certainly LOUD.

• Love 1

Peewee update. Baby bird is still surviving, although keeps hiding when scared. Still unable to fly, but is getting stronger and more sassy. We put it in a crate overnight to stop it becoming cat food as it tends to flutter to the ground in the early evening.

• Love 2

Autumn in Toronto. I think entering the forest is like entering a cathedral. Light streaming down through translucent leaves like light through stained glass. Multiple shots with a super wide angle lens combined in photoshop. All alone for the morning on a little used side trail. Covid-19 stay away from my door.

autumn-fall-deciduous-carolinian-forest-

More light coming through translucent flower.

datura-innoxia-or-pricklyburr-or-recurve

• Love 4
  • Like 1

All Saints Church Tealby Lincolnshire

all-saints-church-tealby-lincolnshire-2020-2D4W687.jpg

Lincoln castle observation tower and walls Lincoln city

lincoln-castle-observation-tower-and-walls-lincoln-city-lincolnshire-october-2020-2D69PYW.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/2D7CA1A/schaubhne-am-lehniner-platz-famous-schaubuhne-theater-in-berlin-with-banner-die-vernunft-ist-tot-reason-or-common-sense-is-dead-2D7CA1A.jpg

The banner reads: Die Vernunft ist tot: Reason or common sense is dead.

Berlin January 31, just before Corona/Covid struck. I sort of liked it then, but thought nothing of it and certainly didn't think it would be useful here. Meaning able to sell.

I'm still not thinking it will ever sell, however in hindsight I like it a lot more. Even when the horizon is not straight, which is a bit unusual for me.

In April dpa, the German Press Agency uploaded a couple of regular daylight, straight on images of the same banner here on Alamy:

Berlin, Germany. 28th Apr, 2020. The entrance of the Schaubühne at Lehniner Platz. 'Reason is dead!' Credit: Gerald Matzka/dpa-Zentralbild/ZB/dpa/Alamy Live News - Stock Image

Now my problem: what sort of keywords to use for mine?

The obvious ones:

Famous Berlin Theater / Theatre;

Schaubühne / Schaubuehne / Schaubuhne am Lehniner Platz;

And:

Banner;

Die Vernunft ist tot;

Reason is dead;

the end of common sense.

Would anybody ever want to use it for something more conceptual? A banner in German? Probably not.

What would you think?

wim

On 17/10/2020 at 00:19, cbimages said:

it looks like you have used fill flash for this pic. I can see why - it looks good - but weren't you worried about scaring the bird or hurting its eyes? I have never used flash around wildlife for this reason.

5 hours ago, Cal said:

it looks like you have used fill flash for this pic. I can see why - it looks good - but weren't you worried about scaring the bird or hurting its eyes? I have never used flash around wildlife for this reason.

Cal, yes, I did use fill flash but this is taken from about 12 meters away as the nest is in a neighbours yard with me up the top of a ladder in our yard. The nest is in shadow much of the rest of the day from overhanging branches and it's impossible to light the birds otherwise. The babies are fine, in fact one fell out of the nest prematurely so we took it into care each night, but put it in a hanging planter each morning in line of sight with the nest and the parents fed it. Once it was strong enough to fly a bit, we left it out overnight and the parents encouraged it to a safe spot overnight. Now, it's sibling has left the nest and both chicks are well and almost fledged. They live in our yard a lot of the time in the trees, and the parents have been bringing them down onto the lawn to learn to feed. I was hanging washing out this morning and parents and chicks were still wandering around the yard, so seem to be quite used to my presence.

This morning, I have noted that the parents are now building a new nest in our yard, directly above our bird feeding area. I hope we don't have to become surrogate parents again. But if a chick comes out of the nest too early, it will certainly become cat food it we don't help it.

Edited by cbimages
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Cal said:

scaring the bird or hurting its eyes?

I found this assertion so odd that I had a think about it. It certainly never seems to disturb our domestic wildlife.

This zoologist thinks not. No more disturbing than a flash of lightning, especially in daylight.

https://www.naturettl.com/does-flash-photography-harm-animals/

Edited by spacecadet