geogphotos

Photoshelter Users Group

9 minutes ago, AM Chang said:

Headline
A headline is a brief synopsis or summary of the contents of the photograph.

Title
The textual title of the work, or reference name.

Source: https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/documentation/userguide/#_general_image_content

Agencies use these fields in various ways:

Example 1:
Headline: Demonstrators take part in a rally...
Title: "abc123" (the same as File Name field)

Example 2:
Headline: Demonstrators take part in a rally...
Title: "Place"-Protest

Headline: Autumn colors...
Title: "Place"-Weather

Example 3:
Headline: Autumn colors...
Title: Autumn colors...
(the same in both fields)

andre

Thanks. So how is a headline different from the caption? Is a headline just a shorter version of the caption? I can see how a headline applies to news images, but I'm not sure why a non-news image would need one.

Still not sure how I would fill out the the "Title" field for PhotoShelter so as to improve SEO. I'll have to think more about that.

Alamy doesn't use these additional fields and has much better SEO than PS. I can't imagine doing this retrospectively for all my pics - and PS does not offer the option to update by spreadsheet.

At times I have felt cynical about the reaction of PS to poor SEO - a tendency to point to deficiencies in what subscribers are doing rather than face the problems at their end. I particularly noticed a collapse in SEO when moving from the old Classic web design to the new ones and think that was down to the lack of text on the pages. 

In any case is it really worth all this effort to chase Google Images? - I doubt it.

Edited by geogphotos

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Alamy doesn't use these additional fields and has much better SEO than PS. I can't imagine doing this retrospectively for all my pics - and PS does not offer the option to update by spreadsheet.

At times I have felt cynical about the reaction of PS to poor SEO - a tendency to point to deficiencies in what subscribers are doing rather than face the problems at their end. I particularly noticed a collapse in SEO when moving from the old Classic web design to the new ones and think that was down to the lack of text on the pages. 

In any case is it really worth all this effort to chase Google Images? - I doubt it.

I doubt it too. I've been adding a few "headlines" willy-nilly, but I'm certainly not going to make a make-work project out of it.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The Photographers Guide to SEO

https://blog.photoshelter.com/2020/09/photographers-guide-to-seo/

Seems to be available to anybody who provides an email address.

I got that e-mail too. It seems that SEO is the new Holy Grail. 😁

That said, I'm looking forward (sort of) to checking out the guide. At least they're not asleep at the helm over at PS.

55 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I got that e-mail too. It seems that SEO is the new Holy Grail. 😁

That said, I'm looking forward (sort of) to checking out the guide. At least they're not asleep at the helm over at PS.

I'm sure it is useful but probably more so for those who can provide answers to the questions about target audiences and competition. ie) probably not so useful to stock photographers trying to appeal to a global audience whose competitors include all the major stock libraries!

And again I am cynical about all the effort involved and the time frames mentioned - it seems like there will always be the suggestion you haven't done well enough and need to do more. Also that Google Images itself is not so wonderful anyway.

Edited by geogphotos

On 22/09/2020 at 12:42, geogphotos said:

I'm sure it is useful but probably more so for those who can provide answers to the questions about target audiences and competition. ie) probably not so useful to stock photographers trying to appeal to a global audience whose competitors include all the major stock libraries!

And again I am cynical about all the effort involved and the time frames mentioned - it seems like there will always be the suggestion you haven't done well enough and need to do more. Also that Google Images itself is not so wonderful anyway.

Google Images is something of a hodgepodge. However, I notice that the "Licensable" badge is appearing on my PS images that do come up in Google image searches since I asked PS to add the necessary URLs to my metadata. It will be interesting to see if all this goes anywhere. No flood of inquiries to report yet. 😉

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

New 'toys' delayed until mid-December even for the beta versions. 

https://blog.photoshelter.com/2020/10/photoshelter-websites-updated-plan/

Thanks for the link. I only just got around to switching from a "classic" template, which I liked better than the new one in some respects. Hopefully, the latest new toys will be as "amazing" as they say. Encouraging to hear that someone is still at the helm.

Still tumbleweeds over at my PS website...

43 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the link. I only just got around to switching from a "classic" template, which I liked better than the new one in some respects. Hopefully, the latest new toys will be as "amazing" as they say. Encouraging to hear that someone is still at the helm.

Still tumbleweeds over at my PS website...

The reactions to the blog post by Grover are all fairly positive. I am disappointed to have to wait longer because I've been waiting for these updates - everything has been in  a state of inertia for so long. But given what is going on in the world this is small fry. 

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The reactions to the blog post by Grover are all fairly positive. I am disappointed to have to wait longer because I've been waiting for these updates - everything has been in  a state of inertia for so long. But given what is going on in the world this is small fry. 

I am quite peed off with them Ian. I still think they have still, probably, the better system out there but their project management and communication are pretty damned poor. 

Its just delay after delay after delay. And would we even have seen a press release on the latest delay if you had not poked them in their blog comments.

I am willing to bet none of us will be using the templates in a live environment till next year. 

https://paulthompson.gallery/

Edited by Panthera tigris

1 hour ago, Panthera tigris said:

I am quite peed off with them Ian. I still think they have still, probably, the better system out there but their project management and communication are pretty damned poor. 

Its just delay after delay after delay. And would we even have seen a press release on the latest delay if you had not poked them in their blog comments.

I am willing to bet none of us will be using the templates in a live environment till next year. 

https://paulthompson.gallery/

I have some sympathy with your viewpoint. Probably best that I leave it at that.