Jump to content
Bill Allsopp

The Last Freebie

Recommended Posts

I have told myself before that I would not give freebies but yesterday I saw a crop fire being dealt with by fireman and thought I would offer pics to the local rag. This morning a journalist rang me for more info and after being told they do not pay for pictures thought well for what I get for a page in a national through Alamy I might as well just send a couple.

 

The thanks I got?

 

One word

 

       thanks

 

no Dear Bill, no signature, zip

 

That is definitely the last freebie anyone gets out of me, I'm hopping 🤬

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they credit you in the paper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Did they credit you in the paper?

I told him I wanted that. Paper not out yet so TBA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bill Allsopp said:

I told him I wanted that. Paper not out yet so TBA

Fingers crossed. I understand that online advertising has killed the local paper business model, but it's free to be polite by email...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We don't have a budget for photography" means "everyone in the publishing process will get paid - writers, sub-editors, designers, printers - but not you"...

 

If asked for a freebie, I ask whether the person on the phone is getting paid for his/her involvement. The conversation usually ends there...

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

"We don't have a budget for photography" means "everyone in the publishing process will get paid - writers, sub-editors, designers, printers - but not you"...

 

If asked for a freebie, I ask whether the person on the phone is getting paid for his/her involvement. The conversation usually ends there...

The silly thing is that it must cost a business almost as much as they'd have paid you just to tell you they won't.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill Allsopp said:

I have told myself before that I would not give freebies but yesterday I saw a crop fire being dealt with by fireman and thought I would offer pics to the local rag. This morning a journalist rang me for more info and after being told they do not pay for pictures thought well for what I get for a page in a national through Alamy I might as well just send a couple.

 

The thanks I got?

 

One word

 

       thanks

 

no Dear Bill, no signature, zip

 

That is definitely the last freebie anyone gets out of me, I'm hopping 🤬

This is why I give no freebies - ever!  When I hear 'we have no budget for pictures' I usually laugh, utter a suitable expletive and put the phone down.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

This is why I give no freebies - ever!  When I hear 'we have no budget for pictures' I usually laugh, utter a suitable expletive and put the phone down.

And you can be sure that will be me next time. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is writer Harlan Ellison's "Pay the Writer" classic rant on freebee requests.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.