The Sony 24-105 f4

26 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

New stuff is always exciting, but I find that inevitably "the new wears off of your crystal chandeliers" (with no disrespect meant to Charley Pride). 😉

Those be expensive muscles...

Said like a true pessimist...:lol:

18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Goodness, Allan—you seem to be well covered in glass. 

When younger, using film, I worked with primes. I walked around with three cameras hanging on me and a few extra lenses in a shoulder bag. With digital, I use mostly zooms and now smaller mirrorless cameras, all Sonys: RX100-V, RX100/6, RX10 (24-200), a6000 with 10-18, 28-70, and a 50mm f1.8. 

I'm considering carrying a small shoulder bag with the a6000 and the 10-18 and 24-105 f4 with an RX100 in a pocket. Maybe I will do that. Maybe I won't. And the Sony 24-105 f4? It's still hard to find one. 

ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i might work for you.  I have the Mirrorless Mover 20 and it's too small for second lens and flash and the MM 30i can swallow a  10 inch iPad.  Otherwise, my other suggestion is lens wraps and a fanny pack, which is far less conspicuous.

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Got it at Wilkinson for the standard price. I'm about to unbox it. I won't be doing a video. Has this lifted my spirts? No. I feel sick. 🥵

Now I can get back to the issues of my building's new management and the MacBook Air WiFi connection. When does the fun begin? 

Enjoy your new toy Edo, confess to a sense of jealousy! 

Let us know how you get on with it.

4 hours ago, MizBrown said:

ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i might work for you.  I have the Mirrorless Mover 20 and it's too small for second lens and flash and the MM 30i can swallow a  10 inch iPad.  Otherwise, my other suggestion is lens wraps and a fanny pack, which is far less conspicuous.

That bag looks slightly larger than my Manfrotto. I don't need another bag. Both my Domke F3 and my Manfrotto work fine. The Leash strap I bought will take some getting used to.  I hope I've bought my last piece of kit, large or small. 

So far, so good, Bryan.

As I type this, 10 Sept '20 at 9:21AM, you can click the blue number next to images on the left and see the last 17 photos — they were snapped with the 24-105 f4 FE on my a6000. This is not so much learning something new as relearning something from my past. 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I type this, 10 Sept '20 at 9:21AM, you can click the blue number next to images on the left and see the last 17 photos — they were snapped with the 24-105 f4 FE on my a6000. This is not so much learning something new as relearning something from my past. 

Great images Edo and there does seem to be a lot of colour (color) in Liverpool.

A question. Did you do any sharpening of the raw out of camera images or are they as shot?

Sorry another question. Did you take images at the full range of focal length or can you remember what you actually used most of?

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
added question

Good questions, Allan.

I've not tried to do bench tests since I left Mulberry Street. And frankly, I don't see a reason for them anymore; I'll let the techie lads and lasses deal with that. 

On the 17 snaps I've uploaded, I shot all RAW either with aperture priority or on full auto. (I love the mindlessness of full auto. 🙂)

I never add sharpening but I do and have added some contrast to improve the acutance (edge sharpness) and maybe a little saturation. 

I probably used all the zoom f-stop settings although the uploads probably stop before 105. This is one deadly sharp zoom at all f-stops. The worst thing about it is the size and weight. But I'll deal with it. 

I want to go to Chester for a few days!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good questions, Allan.

I've not tried to do bench tests since I left Mulberry Street. And frankly, I don't see a reason for them anymore; I'll let the techie lads and lasses deal with that. 

On the 17 snaps I've uploaded, I shot all RAW either with aperture priority or on full auto. (I love the mindlessness of full auto. 🙂)

I never add sharpening but I do and have added some contrast to improve the acutance (edge sharpness) and maybe a little saturation. 

I probably used all the zoom f-stop settings although the uploads probably stop before 105. This is one deadly sharp zoom at all f-stops. The worst thing about it is the size and weight. But I'll deal with it. 

I want to go to Chester for a few days!

Thank you for the useful information Edo.

I am not stopping you from going to Chester.😀     Are you thinking of moving and this is the recce trip?

The reason I am asking is that I have the FE24-70 f4 ZA OSS and am thinking that I may use that instead of buying the 24-105. Of course I would not have the same reach and my lens is not a G lens but it is only 426g compared to yours at 663g.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Everyone has their reasons for picking one piece of equipment over another. If you don't have a sharpness problem (a problem, not a comparison) with your 24-70 f4, I would stay with that. The 24-105 f4 I just got would mean added unwanted bulk and weight. 

Just want to have a few days in Chester to take some snaps and have a look around. Moving there or to Leeds is a thought, NOT a plan. I just got the key fob and the WiFi issues solved in my building here so . . . tutti va bene

If I bump into a problem with my new street zoom, I will report here about it. Tutti va bene or tutto bene means all is well in the language of the Chester Roman fort. Oh wait! They spoke Latin back then: omnis bene est. St. Francis Prep would be proud of me. 

Edge or corner sharpness? Give me a break! Of the last 100 images you submitted to Alamy, how many involved edge sharpness? 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

There is a reason to check a new lens for sharpness and autofocus because there can be variation between different copies of the same lens. The reviews are one thing but no doubt the lens manufacturers make sure the reviewer gets a good copy. I had to send back a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 (not cheap) a few years ago because the autofocus was off. 

Yes, and I've had my share of lens problems too. They've always been made obvious on the first day of shooting. Two outings with this 24-105 so far, and I said in three languages: all is well. (I do hope I don't eat those words.)

The fob keys seem to be working in my building now, and I've managed to use my iPhone personal hotspot as an internet connection for my MacBook Air. 

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, and I've had my share of lens problems too. They've always been made obvious on the first day of shooting. Two outings with this 24-105 so far, and I said in three languages: all is well. (I do hope I don't eat those words.)

The fob keys seem to be working in my building now, and I've managed to use my iPhone personal hotspot as an internet connection for my MacBook Air. 

Good to hear Edo. Enjoy your trip to Chester.

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I think these 17 images look great! A product of a fine lens and good post. I would be tickled if a new lens produced those.

Of course, the best I could do on the eye chart last exam was 20/80. (Kidding, of course.:D

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Just want to have a few days in Chester to take some snaps and have a look around. Moving there or to Leeds is a thought, NOT a plan. I just got the key fob and the WiFi issues solved in my building here so . . . tutti va bene

Goof to hear that it is going well with the new glass Edo.

Bright weather predicted for Sunday onwards so maybe an opportunity to do your travels then.

We have just bought bargain train tickets from Leeds to Manchester, there is an incredible range of prices depending upon when you travel. If you intend to make a habit of it then it might be worth while investing in an ancient person's rail pass (Senior railcard gives 30% discount), I get decent value from mine. 

Edited by Bryan

Cooler? Maybe a bit, but there are other factors involved. Yesterday the light here was useless. I did some shooting but not for keepers, just to have a look at the different zooms and f-stops. 

A warning to video shooters: I don't do videos but if you do, this lens is not for you. The zooming is stiff, perfect for me cause it doesn't slip. All f-stops look very sharp.

I have to get my senior railcard before going anywhere, Bryan. 

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Everyone has their reasons for picking one piece of equipment over another. If you don't have a sharpness problem (a problem, not a comparison) with your 24-70 f4, I would stay with that. The 24-105 f4 I just got would mean added unwanted bulk and weight. 

If I bump into a problem with my new street zoom, I will report here about it. Tutti va bene or tutto bene means all is well in the language of the Chester Roman fort. Oh wait! They spoke Latin back then: omnis bene est. St. Francis Prep would be proud of me. 

Edge or corner sharpness? Give me a break! Of the last 100 images you submitted to Alamy, how many involved edge sharpness? 

Thanks for your reply Edo.

The 24-70 f4 is a Zeiss lens and has terrible edge sharpness fall off but it should not be a problem on a crop sensor like the a6000 as it will not be using that part of the projected image or at least a lot less of it.

Allan

4 hours ago, Stokie said:

Allan,

You've aged a lot these last few days!!😁

John.

Nobody recognised me in my younger guise. I am a lot older than in the image left which was taken on my 60th birthday in happier times.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Nobody recognised me in my younger guise. I am a lot older than in the image left which was taken on my 60th birthday in happier times.

Allan

Who knows, when I have time to mess with it, I might do what you did. Starting when I was toothless.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Who knows, when I have time to mess with it, I might do what you did. Starting when I was toothless.

Toothless to toothless.🙄

Just kidding.

Allan

I've had my new full-frame Sony 24-105 f4 out a few times now. Here are some observations:

This zoom is producing the sharpest images I've ever seen from a zoom and about as sharp as the Nikon 24mm prime I used to own for my Nikon DSLRs. Edge sharpness? Since the edges are cut from the frame on my a6000 (24mm becomes a 36mm), I don't see an issue. On my a6000, the lens is 36 to 157.5mm. With my Sony 10-18mm, I now have the option of 15 to 157.5mm . . . and with a little cropping the long reach is about 200mm. 

The adjustment problems I'm having concern weight and bulk. I also made a first-time odd mistake. Using the wheel to change the f-stop, I accidentally changed auto-ISO (100 to 800) to ISO 6400. Yikes! My snaps at 6400 were not that noisy, and they corrected well in Lightroom. I did delete them, however. 

liverpool-2CGW40H.jpg