Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Photographers,

 

I have joined Alamy in September 2019 and made 2 sales within December while having only 4 images in portfolio with average optimization. After a dormant 8 months I started uploading more images from August 2020 and have tried to optimize each including the old 4. But I don't see any sales happening. Are my expectations too early or the optimizations have gone overboard? It will be great if you can visit https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/soumyajitphotography and share your valuable feedback.

 

Thanks,

 

Soumyajit

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most photographers here don't make any sales at all until they have hundreds, if not thousands of images in their portfolio. Making two sales from a portfolio of four is quite extrordinary.  It's possible that you just happened to catch a customer who searched for 'new images' of a tiger just as you uploaded your photos.

 

There are over 32,000 pictures of tigers available so you have a lot of competiton, even in that specialised field. Your captions and keywords look mostly OK , so carry on in that vein. I would recommend that you try to widen the variety of subjects you photograph. Try not to put up too many images of the same subject with no significant variation in the image from one to the next - it will reduce your click-through rate (CTR) and eventually, lower your ranking in searches. 

 

Given the most dangerous thing I've ever photographed is a sheep, I am probably not the right person to say this but - stay safe 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Most photographers here don't make any sales at all until they have hundreds, if not thousands of images in their portfolio. Making two sales from a portfolio of four is quite extrordinary.  It's possible that you just happened to catch a customer who searched for 'new images' of a tiger just as you uploaded your photos.

 

There are over 32,000 pictures of tigers available so you have a lot of competiton, even in that specialised field. Your captions and keywords look mostly OK , so carry on in that vein. I would recommend that you try to widen the variety of subjects you photograph. Try not to put up too many images of the same subject with no significant variation in the image from one to the next - it will reduce your click-through rate (CTR) and eventually, lower your ranking in searches. 

 

Given the most dangerous thing I've ever photographed is a sheep, I am probably not the right person to say this but - stay safe 🙂

Point noted Joseph. Many thanks for dropping by and sharing your valuable inputs. I will be uploading varied species soon and definitely not going to stick to only tigers. Namaste.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Soumyajit said:

Hi Photographers,

 

I have joined Alamy in September 2019 and made 2 sales within December while having only 4 images in portfolio with average optimization. After a dormant 8 months I started uploading more images from August 2020 and have tried to optimize each including the old 4. But I don't see any sales happening. Are my expectations too early or the optimizations have gone overboard? It will be great if you can visit https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/soumyajitphotography and share your valuable feedback.

 

Thanks,

 

Soumyajit

 

As Joseph said, 2 sales with 4 images is exceptional!

 

Keep uploading a diverse range of subjects, correctly key-worded and sales will follow - but be patient, you might need at least 500-1000 images before you make consistent sales.

 

As for optimisation, the general consensus is don't bother trying to get the discoverability bar to turn green by adding key words that aren't relevant. This will only harm your CTR and subsequently your ranking.

 

Keep uploading and stay safe (especially around those Tigers!).

 

John.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stokie said:

 

As Joseph said, 2 sales with 4 images is exceptional!

 

Keep uploading a diverse range of subjects, correctly key-worded and sales will follow - but be patient, you might need at least 500-1000 images before you make consistent sales.

 

As for optimisation, the general consensus is don't bother trying to get the discoverability bar to turn green by adding key words that aren't relevant. This will only harm your CTR and subsequently your ranking.

 

Keep uploading and stay safe (especially around those Tigers!).

 

John.

Thanks John, I guess I need to weed out the irrelevant keywords. Take Care.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your wildlife pictures look great. I would agree about adding too many extra keywords just to make the “Discoverability” bar turn green. It will affect your CTR if the keywords are not relevant.

 

Keep your captions descriptive like you have already done.
 

I have about 6000+ images but only four of mine have good discoverability. I get on average about twenty zooms per month which equates to one sale per week.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MB Photography said:

Your wildlife pictures look great. I would agree about adding too many extra keywords just to make the “Discoverability” bar turn green. It will affect your CTR if the keywords are not relevant.

 

Keep your captions descriptive like you have already done.
 

I have about 6000+ images but only four of mine have good discoverability. I get on average about twenty zooms per month which equates to one sale per week.

Thank you. I am having a re-look at the keywords.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2020 at 18:07, Soumyajit said:

Hi Photographers,

 

I have joined Alamy in September 2019 and made 2 sales within December while having only 4 images in portfolio with average optimization. After a dormant 8 months I started uploading more images from August 2020 and have tried to optimize each including the old 4. But I don't see any sales happening. Are my expectations too early or the optimizations have gone overboard? It will be great if you can visit https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/soumyajitphotography and share your valuable feedback.

 

Thanks,

 

Soumyajit

You've 37 images in a collection of over 215 million.  You're extremely lucky to have made 2 sales so far.  My first sale came after 4 months and 400 pics.  If you're not making sales when you've 1,000 pics in your port, come back and ask the question again.  In the meantime, upload pics and caption and tag well.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

You've 37 images in a collection of over 215 million.  You're extremely lucky to have made 2 sales so far.  My first sale came after 4 months and 400 pics.  If you're not making sales when you've 1,000 pics in your port, come back and ask the question again.  In the meantime, upload pics and caption and tag well.

Many thanks for your inputs ☺️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.