It doesn't look as if the database updated before the crash, or they've carried out a system restore to the previous save (my layman's speak, there's probably more to it than that). Hopefully any updated work hasn't been lost.

I cleared two days in Safari and got into my dashboard but no news there. Measures showed no activity on Monday or Tuesday. Nice to have you folks back on the Forum. I was lonely with only a Zoom yoga class yesterday.

Paulette

• Love 2

26 minutes ago, Graham said:

My FTP uploads from this morning are not showing in AIM yet - probably an hour or so ago, so they should have been showing up by now.

You were brave. I'll wait until tomorrow incase of any teething problems.

Alamy were giving updates on Twitter yesterday though I know not everyone uses this platform.  I think Fixation were also experiencing the same problems, apparently it was a major problem with many yesterday.  Looks like measures was last updated 17th August - hopefully everything will right itself...

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
addition

4 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I hope buyers were able to complete purchases.  I saw a buyer, from San Francisco, CA, was on Facebook saying she was on a tight deadline and could not get the images she ordered.

No, everything was down till well after west coast office hours.

wim

4 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Try clearing your browser cache / history.  I could get to my dashboard with Chrome just now but not with Firefox, but I could once I cleared the browser history..

Thank you!!

54 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

No, everything was down till well after west coast office hours.

Frustratingly one of yesterday's biggest UK news stories was easyJet's announcement that they will be completely closing their base at Southend airport, my local, of which I have plenty of material - all of which would have been unavailable for licencing. I've seen one old Live News image used online by both the Sun and Times so I'm guessing they had it stored somewhere.

7 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I shot 2 news stories yesterday which are now, essentially, old news and therefore consigned to the bin.  A storm is expected to appear in Ireland today so if the site still isn’t fully functional that’s a huge story gone.  
This is not acceptable!  Come on Alamy, sort it out - quickly!

I hope you get to use the images. 

I agree about not acceptable. A company this size should have a backup server in another location as some other major companies. I am not tech enough to know the terminology but am aware it can and should be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Allsopp said:

I hope you get to use the images. 

I agree about not acceptable. A company this size should have a backup server in another location as some other major companies. I am not tech enough to know the terminology but am aware it can and should be done.

Yeah I'm really surprised about this too, especially as they sell all around the world. I'm guessing something went wrong with the disaster recovery failover. :(

2 hours ago, Bill Allsopp said:

As I understand it, the problem was not with the Alamy servers, but with an IXP (internet exchange point) housed in a third party datacentre in Docklands. All internet traffic destined for Alamy is routed through this IXP. I don't know whether or not the Alamy servers are co-located, but it doesn't affect this issue.

Despite having dual power feeds to the datacentre, and supposedly a UPS (uninterruptible power supply), power to the core router failed and it took 12 hours or so to restore it. The issue is probably related to the configuration of the power feeds and the UPS. Ideally a critical component such as this IPX should have at least two power supplies going into at least two UPSs. That way the critical component should always have power.

That doesn't seem to have happened in this case. I wonder what Alamy's SLA (Service Level Agreement) says about it.

Edited by Russell
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Alamy said:

We recommend using Chrome for the Alamy dashboard. It might also be worth clearing your cache and cookies before trying again.

The latest version of Microsoft Windows 10 Edge browser now uses the same Chromium core as the Google Chrome browser, so this also now compatible with the Alamy dashboard.

Hey,  I've been on Alamy since 2003, never knew why the Forum says 2005?, but 24 hours down is not the end of the world

and I believe that Alamy was good about letting people know.  Just hope not to see it down again in the near future.

I do understand if someone had a breaking news story, but any experienced Photojournalist would have another outlet, just my opinion.

I go back to the days of shipping film on two separate airplanes (before FedEX).

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 2