Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

 

In the past, Hamrick has been quite accessible.

 

 

Still very accessible. Recently I wanted to start using Vuescan again after about 15 years of non-use, but needed a new key for the updated version. I queried, and Ed Hamrick accommodated me.

 

But after trying some scans with my Canon FS4000, I saw that my set-up shooting slides with a Canon dslr, Nikon ES-1, and various other tubes/rings/spacers was way faster and yielded better results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

 Dunno, but be careful when a man is holding his bible upside down. He's going to throw the book at you.

And you know where that expression came from. 😂

 

https://madmikesamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/10commandments_2425344b.jpg

 

wim

Thanks Wim,

 

I needed a laugh today...  Is that how you install an engine in a e320?.....

 

Our life in the US is getting stranger than season 2 of Umbrella Academy.....

 

Chuck

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to note about the Vuescan Bible - there is absolutely no mention of TWAIN.  It's probably irrelevant now though - is TWAIN still used?  Anyway, years ago when I first started using Vuescan I was using the TWAIN interface (I can't remember what software I was using at the time) and couldn't understand why I wasn't seeing the same options as described in the book. Eventually I realised that there some differences when using TWAIN.  For something that calls itself a 'Bible' I thought that was a serious omission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

One thing to note about the Vuescan Bible - there is absolutely no mention of TWAIN.  It's probably irrelevant now though - is TWAIN still used?  Anyway, years ago when I first started using Vuescan I was using the TWAIN interface (I can't remember what software I was using at the time) and couldn't understand why I wasn't seeing the same options as described in the book. Eventually I realised that there some differences when using TWAIN.  For something that calls itself a 'Bible' I thought that was a serious omission.

Vincent,

 

Do I know you from agencies past, or are you related to Jac (Kennedy photographer).

 

In answer to your question, I have not dealt with TWAIN Drivers since I was on WINDOWS XP, but I assume that is why I can not use the CanoScan software in any OS newer than XP?

I ran "old" KODAK / NIKON DCS units from the 200 to the 760 an they were all talking about "TWAIN DRIVERS" but VueScan does not mention them?

 

PS I am 1/2 Jewish, Half Catholic... That is why I loved the Moses image. 

 

Now do you know anything about Mercedes E320 engines?

 

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Pete,

 

Yea I'm a veteran of the Rotary's, had just an RX2.  I've heard good things about the 8's,  But now way too deep into M-B and use to often run along at 100mph through New Hampshire.  It also gets 25-28mpg on the highway cruising at 80mph.

 

Just saw the price of a Leica M 10-P (ouch).  For that and a couple of fast lenses you could buy a new M-B.

 

Chuck

Chuck,

 

The M10P body is probably my next purchase. I already have good lenses so just need the body. I have a couple of exhibitions coming up, delayed because of the pandemic and three books waiting to be launched at the same time, so with a handful of print sales plus some books I'll bag one. Or of course, 2,000 sales here for so-called 'personal use'. (Assuming 50% commission, more sales if you only get 40%). Of course half of those will be refunded so probably around 3,000 + sales to buy one! 

 

I loved the RX8. V smooth engine as you would expect from a rotary. C of G very low and central and when combined with DSC meant that you could not lose it on corners and we have many corners on rural Welsh roads. Surprisingly practical for me too. I could pack my big 10" x 8" camera Pelican case into the boot. (trunk) plus (very) big Gitzo tripod and a couple of Billingham's with Leica stuff and 10" x 8" film holders etc. 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

 

 

5 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Vincent,

 

Do I know you from agencies past, or are you related to Jac (Kennedy photographer).

 

In answer to your question, I have not dealt with TWAIN Drivers since I was on WINDOWS XP, but I assume that is why I can not use the CanoScan software in any OS newer than XP?

I ran "old" KODAK / NIKON DCS units from the 200 to the 760 an they were all talking about "TWAIN DRIVERS" but VueScan does not mention them?

 

PS I am 1/2 Jewish, Half Catholic... That is why I loved the Moses image. 

 

Now do you know anything about Mercedes E320 engines?

 

Chuck

 

This thread is now a contender for hijack of the year on the Alamy forum.
 

Jac (Kennedy photographer) - not Hijac Kennedy by any chance? He was my great uncle so I am related to him and all other Irish Kennedys. DNA studies show that all Irish Kennedys are descended from a single ancestor. Oh sorry did I change the subject? Oh you meant Jac Lowe? Silly me. 


Engines you say. Well the D850 has the Exspeed 5 which is the same processing engine as the D5 and allows it to process masses of information at lightning speed without endangering others or the environment. On a related subject, the battery life with the D850 is astoundingly good so is better for the environment (than a camera with the same battery but poorer battery life). They also last for years so have further benefits for the environment in that regard. 
 

Twain you say. Still around but little used any more as the interfaces to interact with imaging devices such as consumer and prosumer film scanners, such as those made by Canon and Nikon at the turn of the century. These  have now largely been superseded by camera copying which is far faster and gives far superior results.  The D850 is particularly well-endowed in this regard as it can copy 35mm negatives and turn them into positives in the camera for those in a real hurry. 
 

Leica you say. Some would consider the digital versions to be overpriced  toys for old boys with more money than sense

 

Aah the D850. Yes the ultimate DSLR. 😎

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Do I know you from agencies past, or are you related to Jac (Kennedy photographer).

 

Now do you know anything about Mercedes E320 engines?

 

 

No to all three..  The only agencies I was with were small UK based and both now closed - Scotland in Focus and Leslie Garland Picture Library.  Also had a few with Topfoto but rarely had a sale and removed them so I could mark them as exclusive with Alamy.

 

And I know absolutely nothing about Mercedes engines..:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MDM said  that Leicas are "overpriced  toys for old boys with more money than sense" I'm sorry but I find that grossly offensive. I, along with many others throughout the long time period they have been around, have been using that particular type of camera as an everyday working tool since I was 15 and still am. If others have other preferences that suit their workflow, that's great. But please don't spit out grotesquely offensive remarks because you may have another opinion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Dyn Llun said:

MDM said  that Leicas are "overpriced  toys for old boys with more money than sense" I'm sorry but I find that grossly offensive. I, along with many others throughout the long time period they have been around, have been using that particular type of camera as an everyday working tool since I was 15 and still am. If others have other preferences that suit their workflow, that's great. But please don't spit out grotesquely offensive remarks because you may have another opinion. 

 


I was half- joking but find it offensive all you like Pete. The thread was about the D850. What I find far more disturbing is men (young or old) boasting about breaking the law by driving at insane speeds in gas guzzling monsters at a time when the natural environment is coming to breaking point. If that is what you are proud of, then it reveals something about your character that is not reflected in your photographic achievements. 
 

I was referring to the overpriced digital Leicas as I made clear. Not many working pros are using them in 2020  I warrant. 

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To All,

 

I apologize for running this thread off the rails.  Sorry.

 

MDM,

 

I do wish that I still had my "gas guzzling monster" a 67 High-Pro Mustang convertible, but I've had to become obsessed with my non gas guzzling monster a 01 MB E320 wagon, an over computerized petrol vehicle.

 

RE: Leica cameras, I do agree that they are becoming very over priced "jewelry" for the wealthy, but, again in my opinion, the M bodies made it possible to capture images when a DSLR could not.  Using an M is a different way of seeing and photographing.  Yes there are a few "senior working pros" who are still using Leica bodies, both film and digital, most of them are not contributors to "Stock library's"  The NIKON D850 is no doubt a great modern piece of equipment, but all digital cameras have become disposable, unlike a Leica M2, M3, M6 or the NIKON F.

 

Vincent,

 

Sorry, I just thought there was a slight chance that you were related to Jacques Lowe a photographer that worked with one of my agents.

 

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leicas were amazingly built cameras (I never had an M, just the IIIf screw mount).     Not sure what the deal would be with a digital since the lenses are all manually focused, and can be adapted cheaply enough to a mirrorless body which has the same focusing aids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

To All,

 

I apologize for running this thread off the rails.  Sorry.

 

MDM,

 

I do wish that I still had my "gas guzzling monster" a 67 High-Pro Mustang convertible, but I've had to become obsessed with my non gas guzzling monster a 01 MB E320 wagon, an over computerized petrol vehicle.

 

RE: Leica cameras, I do agree that they are becoming very over priced "jewelry" for the wealthy, but, again in my opinion, the M bodies made it possible to capture images when a DSLR could not.  Using an M is a different way of seeing and photographing.  Yes there are a few "senior working pros" who are still using Leica bodies, both film and digital, most of them are not contributors to "Stock library's"  The NIKON D850 is no doubt a great modern piece of equipment, but all digital cameras have become disposable, unlike a Leica M2, M3, M6 or the NIKON F.

 

 

 

 

Your great-grandchildren might thank you for that although I think it is a bit late and we are all in it up to our necks. 😀

 

 

I think the D850 might be the last really great DSLR ever made. As I said above, it is the camera that has just about everything. Nikon are moving very much to mirrorless and once they get the AF speed and tracking up to scratch there will be little advantage to the DSLR. Grab a D850 if and when you can. You won't be sorry.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased the Nikon ES-2 35mm slide copier (Film Digitizing Adapter) a few days ago in order to copy many hundred transparencies dating from 1979-2005. Using the D850 with the 60mm macro lens the results are very good. I originally copied some of these way back using a dedicated film scanner which seemed to take forever with inferior results. The D850 creates 34mb jpegs files once the film mounts are cropped off which I resize down slightly. Example below (shot originally on a Nikkormat, can’t remember the lens, probably 50mm f2).

archive-image-the-sultanate-of-oman-in-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael,

 

BUT you did not respond to any of the important points that I wrote?

 

The 850 may well be a great DSLR in 2020 but will it be as great in 2030?

Will any of the images captured with the 850 equal images captured with

an M2?  Does it matter?

 

I suggest that you start with: https://www.chroniclebooks.com/products/jim-marshall-show-me-the-picture?variant=31642709295197&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-04-22&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjwmrn5BRB2EiwAZgL9olKv_cjos0fs3d6sILaNcQ_UY3mbxlWN6MWLmlhvxjldrk-sCG3-mxoCz1UQAvD_BwE1

 

Jim was a close friend of mine and the video and book, produced by Leica, tells a very small part of his story.  

 

In any event, the 850 may well be a great DSLR, but it is not the DSLR that makes the image, It is the person holding the DSLR. I think that Pete understands that as do all professionals who learned using the M cameras.

 

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Malcolm Park said:

I purchased the Nikon ES-2 35mm slide copier (Film Digitizing Adapter) a few days ago in order to copy many hundred transparencies dating from 1979-2005. Using the D850 with the 60mm macro lens the results are very good. I originally copied some of these way back using a dedicated film scanner which seemed to take forever with inferior results. The D850 creates 34mb jpegs files once the film mounts are cropped off which I resize down slightly. Example below (shot originally on a Nikkormat, can’t remember the lens, probably 50mm f2).

archive-image-the-sultanate-of-oman-in-1

Malcolm,

 

That is one of the best examples of digital copy work using a DSLR that I have seen.

What was the film stock of the original?

 

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chuck, it was Kodachrome, shot in March 1979. I took around 40 rolls from London out to Oman for a survey job I was involved in. Brought them all back after 2 weeks and processed in UK. The D850 has made a very decent job on these copies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Michael,

 

BUT you did not respond to any of the important points that I wrote?

 

The 850 may well be a great DSLR in 2020 but will it be as great in 2030?

Will any of the images captured with the 850 equal images captured with

an M2?  Does it matter?

 

I suggest that you start with: https://www.chroniclebooks.com/products/jim-marshall-show-me-the-picture?variant=31642709295197&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-04-22&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjwmrn5BRB2EiwAZgL9olKv_cjos0fs3d6sILaNcQ_UY3mbxlWN6MWLmlhvxjldrk-sCG3-mxoCz1UQAvD_BwE1

 

Jim was a close friend of mine and the video and book, produced by Leica, tells a very small part of his story.  

 

In any event, the 850 may well be a great DSLR, but it is not the DSLR that makes the image, It is the person holding the DSLR. I think that Pete understands that as do all professionals who learned using the M cameras.

 

Chuck

 

I understand all that Chuck. It is the person behind the camera that is most important. My first camera was a Minolta SRT101 with standard lens. I don't feel deprived that I didn't have a Leica. I still learned all the technical side of film photography and have carried that forward and adapted to the digital universe. 

 

So yes it is definitely the photographer who determines the picture. But he/she still need the right tools for the job. That is what the thread was originally about and I think I answered that way back. Things have changed an awful lot since the days of film when quality of the lens was of prime importance. It still is but there is so much more.

 

Does it matter? Well yes. Equipment matters. The D800 is 8 years old now and still excellent. Just the D850 is even better. The D850 allows me to shoot action, very low light and 4K video, all things that the D800 struggles with or can't do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 minutes ago, Malcolm Park said:

I purchased the Nikon ES-2 35mm slide copier (Film Digitizing Adapter) a few days ago in order to copy many hundred transparencies dating from 1979-2005. Using the D850 with the 60mm macro lens the results are very good. I originally copied some of these way back using a dedicated film scanner which seemed to take forever with inferior results. The D850 creates 34mb jpegs files once the film mounts are cropped off which I resize down slightly. Example below (shot originally on a Nikkormat, can’t remember the lens, probably 50mm f2).

archive-image-the-sultanate-of-oman-in-1

 

 

Definitely the way to go for film copying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5jaf03w4U1qaqkvpo1_1280.png

The real thing.

 

But then this happens.

Maybe this should be in the other thread. The price certainly does.

Much more on FB.

 

wim

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, wiskerke said:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5jaf03w4U1qaqkvpo1_1280.png

The real thing.

 

But then this happens.

Maybe this should be in the other thread. The price certainly does.

Much more on FB.

 

wim

 

Wow I guess the M2 I bought from Jim is worth a lot more than I paid him for it?

 

Jimmy was a good friend, but this is getting a bit silly.  What about all his old  NIKON F's

 

Wim, thanks for posting the links.

 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like a lot of us in the film era, I had both Nikon Fs and Leica Ms hanging on me. A problem that always vexed me when using those two makes of 35mm cameras was infinity was one way on the Nikons and the other on the Leicas.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Like a lot of us in the film era, I had both Nikon Fs and Leica Ms hanging on me. A problem that always vexed me when using those two makes of 35mm cameras was infinity was one way on the Nikons and the other on the Leicas.   

Ed,

 

That is why a lot of use used Canon SLR's and Leicas, they both focused the same direction to infinity.

 

Jim always used Nikon SLR's for telephoto work.

 

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Malcolm,

 

That is one of the best examples of digital copy work using a DSLR that I have seen.

What was the film stock of the original?

 

Chuck

 

 

Chuck,

 

To assess digital copying using a DSLR ( we need an abbreviation!) you need to do a comparison on one of your own images.

 

Looking at other people's involves too many variables.

 

I've done around 1500 in the last few months, my own and those of quite a few of other people.  My experience is that it beats scanning in many ways - the real negative is the lack of software for dustbusting - but as I remember you do all that manually anyway.

 

So, in terms of quality, and thinking how hard I found it trying to get the best quality out of Vuescan - and I think you said similar -  I would encourage you to try DCD ( Digital Copying using DSLR) 😄

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

Chuck,

 

To assess digital copying using a DSLR ( we need an abbreviation!) you need to do a comparison on one of your own images.

 

Looking at other people's involves too many variables.

 

I've done around 1500 in the last few months, my own and those of quite a few of other people.  My experience is that it beats scanning in many ways - the real negative is the lack of software for dustbusting - but as I remember you do all that manually anyway.

 

So, in terms of quality, and thinking how hard I found it trying to get the best quality out of Vuescan - and I think you said similar -  I would encourage you to try DCD ( Digital Copying using DSLR) 😄


I agree and I would add that it is not just difficult but actually impossible to judge the quality of any method without seeing the original file, not a low resolution version on Alamy. Only then is it possible to judge sharpness and noise which together are the two most important, inter-related parameters that distinguish between any copying methods. Flogged to death on the other thread needless to say. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.