Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just had this refund pop up: 

B5RKY9 _70D0690 Rolf Adlercreutz (29 July 2020) Rights Managed Sale refunded - Original sale date (18 October 2016)

$ -21.52

 

 

Almost 4 years ago! Must be a new record!

Rolf

 

 

footballer-zlatan-ibrahimovic-receives-the-prize-the-golden-ball-as-B5RKY9.jpg

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sale through a Brazilian distributor?  I had two refunds in yesterday for 2/3 year old uncleared sales through one.  I'm assuming the distributor went bust and Alamy have finally written it off as an uncomfortable debt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Sale through a Brazilian distributor?  I had two refunds in yesterday for 2/3 year old uncleared sales through one.  I'm assuming the distributor went bust and Alamy have finally written it off as an uncomfortable debt.

 

There's a sense of deja vu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could even be in UK though the time is a stretch. The only times I have ever issued refunds or credit notes have been to be able to reclaim the VAT I had already paid on a bad debt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, not the distributor in Brazil, but I lost some there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rolf Adlercreutz said:

I just had this refund pop up: 

B5RKY9 _70D0690 Rolf Adlercreutz (29 July 2020) Rights Managed Sale refunded - Original sale date (18 October 2016)

$ -21.52

 

 

Almost 4 years ago! Must be a new record!

Rolf

 

 

footballer-zlatan-ibrahimovic-receives-the-prize-the-golden-ball-as-B5RKY9.jpg

 

 

Yeah just had one too from 18/10/2106 for same amount $21.52....Hey so i'm not alone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A refund for an image sold so far in the past is truly outrageous. There is another thread about the same issue. Small amounts may seem trivial and annoying, but is inherently unfair. What about a large amount that you've paid taxes on the income? Are you now going to file an amended tax return to try to recover the funds? It's a double loss. While I'm sure Alamy's contract covers them their business practices should make it hard for these situations to exist. No refunds after 9 months seems fair.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

A refund for an image sold so far in the past is truly outrageous. There is another thread about the same issue. Small amounts may seem trivial and annoying, but is inherently unfair. What about a large amount that you've paid taxes on the income? Are you now going to file an amended tax return to try to recover the funds? It's a double loss. While I'm sure Alamy's contract covers them their business practices should make it hard for these situations to exist. No refunds after 9 months seems fair.

 

I assume this wouldn't have gone through your company accounts

 

From my company point of view the invoice is generated (self generated by Alamy) when they make the Royalty payment to my company - so you get a maximum of one invoice per month.

 

You only get the royalty payment when there are cleared funds, so a "sold" image, which never clears would not show as a sale through my company accounts.

 

Julian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jools Devon said:

a "sold" image, which never clears

No.

Rolf's refund cleared four years ago.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

No.

Rolf's refund cleared four years ago.

 😞 Thats not very good!

 

But then - from a company point of view - In the year the sale was made you did receive income, and pay the taxes

 

This year, the refund will reduce your revenue, and your taxes will be less for this year.

 

If the refund had VAT - then the VAT should also be refunded - so you shouldn't have to "reclaim" anything - just include it in this years figures..
 

Jools

 

Edited by Jools Devon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2020 at 20:18, Rolf Adlercreutz said:

I just had this refund pop up: 

B5RKY9 _70D0690 Rolf Adlercreutz (29 July 2020) Rights Managed Sale refunded - Original sale date (18 October 2016)

$ -21.52

 

 

Almost 4 years ago! Must be a new record!

Rolf

 

 

footballer-zlatan-ibrahimovic-receives-the-prize-the-golden-ball-as-B5RKY9.jpg

Outrageous - poor business management!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive the question Rolf but were you actually paid by Alamy for the original sale?  I have only ever received money from Alamy if a sale clears. I always thought that if a sale cleared the customer who bought it had paid for it and the matter was closed. If it never clears the possibility of a refund continues to exist? Or am I mistaken? Can a cleared Sale be refunded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2020 at 15:31, spacecadet said:

No.

Rolf's refund cleared four years ago.

 

Sorry for the delay in us stepping in here but we wanted to get the full details of this.

 

No, the sale in this case had not cleared and never would have - unfortunately we had to write this off as a bad debt given that the company who owed us (and Rolf) money went into liquidation.

 

When this happens it does tend to be rare and it is frustrating for all of us involved - we would only do it when we exhaust all avenues to secure the funds.

 

As you can see from this thread, misinformation can spiral out quite quickly regarding the situation surrounding these types of issues - if you have any questions about a refund (cancellation) of a sale you've received then please get in touch with us first so we can explain and look into things for you.

 

Thanks,

 

Alamy

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.