On 20/08/2020 at 16:44, The Blinking Eye said:

This is actually a really interesting point that has never occurred to me. To just take the chance of getting the camera stolen, without fear. They'd probably just want the camera and not me right? I've never thought of going into it with that attitude. Though I remember hearing an incredible documentary filmmaker speak once. He made a film (Dogtown Redemption) about homeless people, some of whom had severe drug problems. He followed their lives around intimately for a few years. People asked him about the risk to his equipment during a Q&A. He said it was just a camera. He could always get another one if something happened to it. And I don't think anything ever happened to it.

I haven't had a camera stolen when I was out with them.  I had a cheap point and shoot stolen from my house in Philadelphia (the burglar didn't touch a Minolta Autocord).  I don't go out unless I'm in the right frame of mind.  Basically, your typical thief wants to swipe the goods and get away from you as quickly as possible.  Also, the less you're acting like you've got something valuable in your hand, the less attention you draw.  (It's also why I like Sony over Nikon here -- Nikon and Canon have been advertised to a fair-the-well, and most thieves know what they are).    It's sort of like "kiss the camera good bye" before leaving the house, and not worrying about losing it. 

If someone breaks in and swipes all my camera stuff, I'll replace it with Chinese water color and ink drawing kit.

The average thieves want what they've stolen out of their hands as quickly as possible.  Very easy to find a person eager to pay $20 for a smart cell phone.  Not so easy to find someone who wants to pay over $100 for a good DSLR or full frame mirrorless.  

It is only a camera and one lens.   Easy to replace a body of some kind for Nikon, Canon, or Sony anywhere in the world.   I don't have a spare for the a6000, but I do have two a7 original models.

Did this on New Years a couple of years ago, camera, flash.   I love taking night shots, but it's not always safe, but lots of people are on the street New Years eve and night. 

I went to my Nicaraguan burglar's 29th or 30th birthday party here (before the burglary).  He burglarized the woman who threw his party earlier, hit my house later.   He stole a camera from the gringa ex and gave it to his sister who recognized it and gave it back to the gringa.    No longer have contact with the gringa.  Some people attract problems.

I haven't been out recently with the camera as I'm on a cane for a knee problem and things are a bit crazy because of the economy and the virus.

fireworks-and-flaming-effigies-of-the-ol

On 20/08/2020 at 20:32, wiskerke said:

In this earlier post, there's a link to a full size image. The straps are quite clear there. The hip belt (which hangs loose in that pic) goes through some sort of tunnel or some lugs that most bags have. And I wear it on my back when not in use, in safe areas. It slides to my side when I need something. Or in front when I have to change larger lenses or adapters or need some small stuff from one of the pockets. When I want to sit down, I click the belt buckle open and have my bag in my lap in under a second. The same on an escalator or in public transport, but then usually without unbuckling. I do open it when I have to climb steep stairs or move quickly. A bit like when I would unbutton my jacket. Also those buckles can make quite a snapping sound, which sometimes seem to signal alertness: very useful. 😁

wim

Aha, fantastic. Thank you. I hadn't gotten to that post yet. This thread is taking me eons to sort through all the comments and digest them. 🙂 Those little zing pouches look great.

On 22/08/2020 at 18:00, MizBrown said:

I haven't had a camera stolen when I was out with them.  I had a cheap point and shoot stolen from my house in Philadelphia (the burglar didn't touch a Minolta Autocord).  I don't go out unless I'm in the right frame of mind.  Basically, your typical thief wants to swipe the goods and get away from you as quickly as possible.  Also, the less you're acting like you've got something valuable in your hand, the less attention you draw.  (It's also why I like Sony over Nikon here -- Nikon and Canon have been advertised to a fair-the-well, and most thieves know what they are).    It's sort of like "kiss the camera good bye" before leaving the house, and not worrying about losing it. 

If someone breaks in and swipes all my camera stuff, I'll replace it with Chinese water color and ink drawing kit.

The average thieves want what they've stolen out of their hands as quickly as possible.  Very easy to find a person eager to pay $20 for a smart cell phone.  Not so easy to find someone who wants to pay over $100 for a good DSLR or full frame mirrorless.  

It is only a camera and one lens.   Easy to replace a body of some kind for Nikon, Canon, or Sony anywhere in the world.   I don't have a spare for the a6000, but I do have two a7 original models.

Did this on New Years a couple of years ago, camera, flash.   I love taking night shots, but it's not always safe, but lots of people are on the street New Years eve and night. 

I went to my Nicaraguan burglar's 29th or 30th birthday party here (before the burglary).  He burglarized the woman who threw his party earlier, hit my house later.   He stole a camera from the gringa ex and gave it to his sister who recognized it and gave it back to the gringa.    No longer have contact with the gringa.  Some people attract problems.

I haven't been out recently with the camera as I'm on a cane for a knee problem and things are a bit crazy because of the economy and the virus.

fireworks-and-flaming-effigies-of-the-ol

What a story! It looks like a very interesting place to photograph.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

What a story! It looks like a very interesting place to photograph.

Jinotega is a neat place to live.   I haven't photographed all the possible things here.   One of the parks has a non-working miniature Dutch windmill. 

• Like 1