Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thanks Steve. OK, after looooots of editing, here are the results. 

https://www.facebook.com/gen.froggie/posts/10222743697974702

Looks like you did a great salvaging day!  It would be fun to see one or two of those photos before your editing.

Posted (edited)

I was living in Woodstock, Oxfordshire in '85. I didn't see you, Gen. And I've been on a Cairns chopper coming and going from Barrier Riff islands on my PanAm shoot. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
11 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Looks like you did a great salvaging day!  It would be fun to see one or two of those photos before your editing.

I always have trouble trying sharing files not on Alamy. I uploaded the NEF file to Dropbox but I don't know why it's gone very dark.

So here is a before and after edit comparison.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd7suwcsgee8n9f/Comparison.jpg?dl=0

Note: the edits I showed before are only quick ones for Facebook. I never bother too much about quality there. They're definitely not for Alamy as is.

Edited by gvallee
  • Upvote 1

Tested covid positive yesterday !!  😧

Three covid tests this last week (work related and UK Government/NHS requirements). Friday's test (PCR) came back positive, so now got to isolate for 10 days at home 🥴

Did a 26 mile cycle ride earlier today, up and down the Cotswold Edge (steep hills),...felt fine. Then had that phone call....

Bit of a bummer !

• Sad 7
2 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Three covid tests this last week (work related and UK Government/NHS requirements). Friday's test (PCR) came back positive, so now got to isolate for 10 days at home 🥴

Did a 26 mile cycle ride earlier today, up and down the Cotswold Edge (steep hills),...felt fine. Then had that phone call....

Bit of a bummer !

Oh no! Take it easy, rest and let us know how you're doing. All the best.

Just now, gvallee said:

Oh no! Take it easy, rest and let us know how you're doing. All the best.

Thank you.

I have no symptoms, and have had one vaccine jab so far (AZ-Oxford jab), about 7 weeks ago.

The PCR tests are supposed to be quite accurate, but not 100%. Hopefully it's a false reading, but I shall be isolating as required and to be safe.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's the main reason I dont live in the suburbs and ride a bus into town. With the unpredictable, ever-changing weather in the UK, the bus ride going in and coming back might be sunny but who knows what I'll find in the centre. I need to walk out and snap away in interesting light for the next half hour or so. 

Check out Tom Wood and his photographs shooting thru the window of buses as he travelled around Liverpool.

He has worked extensively as a street photographer in Merseyside.

He became known as 'Photie Man' in your adopted home city.

9 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Check out Tom Wood and his photographs shooting thru the window of buses as he travelled around Liverpool.

He has worked extensively as a street photographer in Merseyside.

He became known as 'Photie Man' in your adopted home city.

To take photos from any bus in this area you need window wipers on the inside and outside to clean them before you can take them.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
9 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Bit of a bummer !

Well done for isolating!!

• Like 1

My first trip this year into nearby Oxford to shoot their Kill the Bill protest. Went to park in an area I've used before without resident parking that was an acceptable walk from the  City centre only to find it was now residents only parking. In the past before Covid I always used the park and ride, but I didn't fancy it currently. Luckily found a spot with parking after 1pm. My other choice would have been metered parking, but that's only limited to 3 hours. Then I had to contend with harsh contrasty lighting and breathing double masked, but all ended well.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

To take photos from any bus in this area you need window wipers on the inside and outside to clean them before you can take them.

Allan

I know what you mean.

Need to clean the seats as well !

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

My first trip this year into nearby Oxford to shoot their Kill the Bill protest. Went to park in an area I've used before without resident parking that was an acceptable walk from the  City centre only to find it was now residents only parking. In the past before Covid I always used the park and ride, but I didn't fancy it currently. Luckily found a spot with parking after 1pm. My other choice would have been metered parking, but that's only limited to 3 hours. Then I had to contend with harsh contrasty lighting and breathing double masked, but all ended well.

There is practically nowhere in Oxford now with free parking, and lots of unhappy residents who now need permits! Luckily I can get a bus in from almost outside my front door, takes about 10 minutes traffic willing. The buses  are pretty empty but the  city centre  is quite crowded, even on a week day. And there are a lot of tourists who have presumably flown in to the UK which surprised me. I didn’t stay very long! 

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

There is practically nowhere in Oxford now with free parking, and lots of unhappy residents who now need permits! Luckily I can get a bus in from almost outside my front door, takes about 10 minutes traffic willing. The buses  are pretty empty but the  city centre  is quite crowded, even on a week day. And there are a lot of tourists who have presumably flown in to the UK which surprised me. I didn’t stay very long! 

Good to hear buses from your village are pretty empty. Yesterday Oxford was bearable by weaving about, and sometimes waiting for narrower areas to clear, a bit like moving around in a supermarket. I left Oxford via the Cowley Road, and was surprised how busy it was, during 2020 walking it was acceptable, glad I didn't park off off it and walk down it. Yesterday it was as if the Covid Pandemic had never happened. The busiest I'd ever seen Oxford's Cowley Road was during the 2019 carnival, picture at https://www.cowleyroadworks.org/carnival-gallery-2019/ then scroll down 25 rows and click on the second image from the left. I shot it with a D750 and 24-70 held high on a monopod.

Yesterday we drove to Whitley Bay and walked north along the coast, catching a bus back.  There were very few people on the bus, but driving home through Newcastle was a nightmare, as everybody and their dog were out on the roads with queues everywhere.   We normally use public transport but have been avoiding the often crowded Metro system during lockdown. Won't be taking the car back into north Tyneside for while. 

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

Good to hear buses from your village are pretty empty. Yesterday Oxford was bearable by weaving about, and sometimes waiting for narrower areas to clear, a bit like moving around in a supermarket. I left Oxford via the Cowley Road, and was surprised how busy it was, during 2020 walking it was acceptable, glad I didn't park off off it and walk down it. Yesterday it was as if the Covid Pandemic had never happened. The busiest I'd ever seen Oxford's Cowley Road was during the 2019 carnival, picture at https://www.cowleyroadworks.org/carnival-gallery-2019/ then scroll down 25 rows and click on the second image from the left. I shot it with a D750 and 24-70 held high on a monopod.

The roads in and around Oxford are totally back to normal. We went to buy charcoal today (it’s bbq weather, hurrah) and it took much longer to get there and back because of all the folk heading into town to the reopened shops.

It's almost 2AM as I write this, and we've just had the 4th false alarm go off tonight. There are 6 firetrucks outside, and I can't count the firemen. These false alarms just won't stop. There was one Eastern Sunday morning, another when I was in the shower, another when I was fixing lunch. 

• Sad 4

Oh man, sorry about that Edo.  When I saw that you just posted in the Bad Thing thread at your late hour of the night, it did get me concerned!  It’s just not right that you go through so many false alarms. And if the real thing happens, you may not react as you should.  

hope you get some sleep!

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's almost 2AM as I write this, and we've just had the 4th false alarm go off tonight. There are 6 firetrucks outside, and I can't count the firemen. These false alarms just won't stop. There was one Eastern Sunday morning, another when I was in the shower, another when I was fixing lunch. 

Not good. The only consolation is that the Fire Brigade charge your landlord for attending false alarms. You would think they would have sorted the problem to avoid the bills.

Two days ago I was bitten by a suspected redback spider, suspected because I did not feel the initial bite but the symptoms that followed matched redback spider bite symptoms. I was on grass near a lake. I went to get up and put my left hand on the ground as I did so. About one minute later after I'd walked down to the edge of the lake I felt searing pain developing in the palm of that hand. Once home I found ice was the one thing that helped the pain, but once I removed the ice pack the pain was severe again within minutes. After several hours of this I called the health direct info line who advised it sounded like a redback bite and I should go to hospital emergency. It was about 11pm and I was reluctant. As I had none of the dangerous allergic reaction signs, the person advising me said I could see the doctor first thing in the morning, but with her primary advice being to go to the ED. So I went to the doctor first thing in the morning. She was very helpful and ran some blood tests to check things like liver function etc, and from a message on my phone late yesterday the results are ok.

This morning the swelling has come down significantly and only slightly painful. The two indicators it was likely a redback were initially not feeling the bite but the pain then coming on after a few minutes (very different to stings/bites from bees, wasps or ants) and the fact that ice alleviated the pain but it got worse again once the ice was removed. Apparently the initial bite can be painful, or is not felt at all, but it gets significantly worse after several minutes or over the first hour. Often no bite marks are visible because of the small size of redbacks. If you are in Australia, or the several other countries where redbacks now live, my advice would be to get medical advice straight away if you suspect a bite. I did visit a pharmacy on my way home and got antihistamines, but should really have gone to a doctor or hospital in the first instance. I did that thing of thinking it wasn't serious enough to go to a hospital, but really it is better to get it looked at quickly, especially as complications of redback bites can be very serious.

I didn't think to take a photo of my hand when it was all puffy for stock. Oh well.

• Sad 3
7 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Two days ago I was bitten by a suspected redback spider, suspected because I did not feel the initial bite but the symptoms that followed matched redback spider bite symptoms. I was on grass near a lake. I went to get up and put my left hand on the ground as I did so. About one minute later after I'd walked down to the edge of the lake I felt searing pain developing in the palm of that hand. Once home I found ice was the one thing that helped the pain, but once I removed the ice pack the pain was severe again within minutes. After several hours of this I called the health direct info line who advised it sounded like a redback bite and I should go to hospital emergency. It was about 11pm and I was reluctant. As I had none of the dangerous allergic reaction signs, the person advising me said I could see the doctor first thing in the morning, but with her primary advice being to go to the ED. So I went to the doctor first thing in the morning. She was very helpful and ran some blood tests to check things like liver function etc, and from a message on my phone late yesterday the results are ok.

This morning the swelling has come down significantly and only slightly painful. The two indicators it was likely a redback were initially not feeling the bite but the pain then coming on after a few minutes (very different to stings/bites from bees, wasps or ants) and the fact that ice alleviated the pain but it got worse again once the ice was removed. Apparently the initial bite can be painful, or is not felt at all, but it gets significantly worse after several minutes or over the first hour. Often no bite marks are visible because of the small size of redbacks. If you are in Australia, or the several other countries where redbacks now live, my advice would be to get medical advice straight away if you suspect a bite. I did visit a pharmacy on my way home and got antihistamines, but should really have gone to a doctor or hospital in the first instance. I did that thing of thinking it wasn't serious enough to go to a hospital, but really it is better to get it looked at quickly, especially as complications of redback bites can be very serious.

I didn't think to take a photo of my hand when it was all puffy for stock. Oh well.

Oh Sally! It could have been serious. Redback spiders are not easy to spot, especially in the grass. Hope this is all behind you now.

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

Hope this is all behind you now.

Sally put her hand on it not her bum.🙃

Allan

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sally put her hand on it not her bum.🙃

Allan

I'm glad it was my hand and not my bum! 🤣

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

Oh Sally! It could have been serious. Redback spiders are not easy to spot, especially in the grass. Hope this is all behind you now.

Thanks Gen. It's continuously improving and almost back to normal. The doctor I saw told me her sister was recently bitten by a snake, and she hardly felt it so didn't realise a snake had bitten her at first. These sneaky beasties have ways of getting their fangs into us without us even knowing!

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Sally! Ouch!

I'm wondering what the Aboriginal people did about all those dangerous critters? They must have devised some effective home remedies. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1