Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

14 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Sally I get the odd migraine but cannot put it down to any particular thing. Food, stress, whatever. It is not a headache though it manifests itself as loss of vision and flashing lights. Usually just closing my eyes and resting in a easy chair with my head back eases it within 30 minutes and I can carry on with whatever I am busy with. But Ido feel a bit woozy for a while. One of my doctors said he suspected it was an abdominal migraine.?????  I know alcohol particularly red wine and spirits can bring it on and that is why I do not drink alcohol now but still get the occasional migraine so must be stress.

Red wine and spirits are triggers for me too Allan. My last red wine consumption was aged 20. I was on a camping trip with a group and on the last night we drank red wine. I had just half a cup. The most horrific migraine started within half an hour. Returning the following day in the van we were travelling in, the driver had to stop intermittently for me to throw up on the side of the road. That plus a bad vodka and orange induced migraine have kept me off red wine and spirits. I was therefore only a very occasional social drinker of milder things, and now with a recently diagnosed autoimmune condition that affects the liver not a drinker at all. I know that stress can be a factor for me too. I don't get the flashing lights, so I think I have the common migraine that Ed describes. My cousin gets the abdominal migraines quite badly and sometimes has to be hospitalised with them.

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, Sally R said:

Red wine and spirits are triggers for me too Allan. My last red wine consumption was aged 20. I was on a camping trip with a group and on the last night we drank red wine. I had just half a cup. The most horrific migraine started within half an hour. Returning the following day in the van we were travelling in, the driver had to stop intermittently for me to throw up on the side of the road. That plus a bad vodka and orange induced migraine have kept me off red wine and spirits. I was therefore only a very occasional social drinker of milder things, and now with a recently diagnosed autoimmune condition that affects the liver not a drinker at all. I know that stress can be a factor for me too. I don't get the flashing lights, so I think I have the common migraine that Ed describes. My cousin gets the abdominal migraines quite badly and sometimes has to be hospitalised with them.

Hello Sally, I was OK with spirits up till about late 40's when someone gave me a glass of red wine and 15 minutes later flashing lights were everywhere. I did continue with the spirits but they gradually started to have the same effect so stopped them too. My very first migraine was when I was about 17. It started at work with my eyesight disappearing down half of one side but could still see the other half. Went to the first aid room and the nurse there sent me home to go to bed and rest. That was a journey and a half as I used to cycle to work. Cycling home avoiding the traffic was a bit hectic. While I was in bed the doctor paid a house call to check on me. I was terrified that I was losing my site.

While still in bed I got this almighty headache which the doc had prescribed some tablets. That is the only time I had the headache.

I sympathise with your cousin and consider myself lucky not to have it so bad as to have to go to hospital.

Allan

• Like 1

The first casualty of the continuing late frosts, a single outdoor  tomato plant succumbed within the little greenhouse at our allotment. I have a couple of them surviving in the greenhouse at home, so rather strange. I guess the allotment is a bit of a frost pocket, while our plot sees full sun most of the day, so it suffers temperature extremes. Fortunately the leeks, onions,  beetroot, peas  etc are doing fine. 

Meanwhile, back at chez Bryan, we have increasingly tall leggy tomato plants lining the bedroom windows waiting their chance to escape.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Meanwhile, back at chez Bryan, we have increasingly tall leggy tomato plants lining the bedroom windows waiting their chance to escape.

Haha, ditto!

We lost several broad bean plants to earlier frosts but the rest are doing okay now, as are the onions and garlic. Spuds are in but not showing yet. 

img_8397.jpeg?w=1024

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hello Sally, I was OK with spirits up till about late 40's when someone gave me a glass of red wine and 15 minutes later flashing lights were everywhere. I did continue with the spirits but they gradually started to have the same effect so stopped them too. My very first migraine was when I was about 17. It started at work with my eyesight disappearing down half of one side but could still see the other half. Went to the first aid room and the nurse there sent me home to go to bed and rest. That was a journey and a half as I used to cycle to work. Cycling home avoiding the traffic was a bit hectic. While I was in bed the doctor paid a house call to check on me. I was terrified that I was losing my site.

While still in bed I got this almighty headache which the doc had prescribed some tablets. That is the only time I had the headache.

I sympathise with your cousin and consider myself lucky not to have it so bad as to have to go to hospital.

It does sound a bit like abdominal migraine Allan if you only had the headache initially but not after that. It must have been a bit scary the first migraine at 17 with the eyesight disappearing. I'm also affected on just one side but can't look out of one eye more from extreme light sensitivity and pain than from loss of eyesight. The weird thing is it sometimes transitions from one side to the other, and I can actually feel the pain creeping across my head. At least the tortured side gets a rest then! But getting them so much less now so life is much, much better!

I well remember walking through the darkened house, barely shuffling my feet, looking through barely cracked open lids. Glad those days are over.

22 hours ago, MandyD said:

9 inches of snow today...&$% 🤬

now up to 3 foot snow drifts....it was a lot of shoveling

On 10/04/2021 at 18:10, John Mitchell said:

I don't think that it will will ever be the same after Liz. They don't make them like her any longer.

Agreed. The thought of Charles as king makes me shudder. 

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Agreed. The thought of Charles as king makes me shudder. 

Not your king, though, unless I missed something?

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Not your king, though, unless I missed something?

English and proud, living in Ireland because I love it!  Still have my English passport and accent and always will have.

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

In which case I apologise, I went by the address.

Why do you think he calls himself COLBLIMP.

Allan

• Like 1

I made a large and very tasty salad for lunch, but as I was putting away the dressing and unused veggies I bumped a refrigerator door shelf, knocking a jar of dill pickles onto the floor. Because the shelf was pretty low, the glass didn’t scatter too much, but the pickle brine made a bee line across my kitchen floor and under my pantry door. I’ve partially cleaned up the mess, but decided to sit down and enjoy my salad before dealing with the rest of the damage. Of course, I wasn’t wearing shoes when it happened, so feel lucky my feet weren’t cut. 

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I made a large and very tasty salad for lunch, but as I was putting away the dressing and unused veggies I bumped a refrigerator door shelf, knocking a jar of dill pickles onto the floor. Because the shelf was pretty low, the glass didn’t scatter too much, but the pickle brine made a bee line across my kitchen floor and under my pantry door. I’ve partially cleaned up the mess, but decided to sit down and enjoy my salad before dealing with the rest of the damage. Of course, I wasn’t wearing shoes when it happened, so feel lucky my feet weren’t cut. 

Sounds like a few of my mishaps. That's about the only times I lose my temper. Glad your feet are intact. 😟

• Like 1
On 13/04/2021 at 07:26, Thyrsis said:

Haha, ditto!

We lost several broad bean plants to earlier frosts but the rest are doing okay now, as are the onions and garlic. Spuds are in but not showing yet. 

Likewise the broad beans, but those I sowed later have almost caught up. Spuds still under the soil, thankfully. Peas, parsnip and beetroot under way and OK outdoors.

The forked tongued weather person is predicting a break in the frosty weather, hopefully for the rest of the spring.  Planted up four hanging baskets with trailing petunias, they will stay in the greenhouse for now.  Hoping to plant some of the greenhouse tomatoes shortly.

%!$#😤💩 ☠️ Grrr...

I did mention in another thread that we won a $200 voucher to spend on a tourist attraction in Cairns. We chose the helicopter scenic flight over Arlington Reef and Green Island.

From previous experience, I wore black clothes to avoid reflections on the heli windscreen and windows. 3 choppers were to leave at the same time. One got a check warning light and had to return to base. Ours left on time.

While we were waiting, I had been anxiously watching the weather deteriorate. While it was sunny with a perfect blue sky and white fluffy clouds half an hour before, it was almost totally overcast when we took off. The pilot pointed at Green Island and joked 'looks like rain over there, never mind it will wash the chopper'. Noooooo!!! I could picture myself cloning every raindrop on the windscreen. Luckily it didn't rain but the light was totally flat and did not bring out the turquoise colour of the reef. A total flop. It will take all my Photoshop skills to rescue a handful of pix, if any. For sure, the dehaze filter will be my friend plus a few other tricks. Sigh.....

👿👿

Edited by gvallee
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, gvallee said:

%!$#😤💩 ☠️ Grrr...

I did mention in another thread that we won a $200 voucher to spend on a tourist attraction in Cairns. We chose the helicopter scenic flight over Arlington Reef and Green Island.

From previous experience, I wore black clothes to avoid reflections on the heli wind screen and windows. 3 choppers were to leave at the same time. One got a check warning light and had to return to base. Ours left on time.

While we were waiting, I had been anxiously watching the weather deteriorate. While it was sunny with a perfect blue sky and white fluffy clouds half an hour before, it was almost totally overcast when we took off. The pilot pointed at Green Island and joked 'looks like rain over there, never mind it will wash the chopper'. Noooooo!!! I could picture myself cloning every raindrop on the windscreen. Luckily it didn't rain but the light was totally flat and did not bring out the turquoise colour of the reef. A total flop. It will take all my Photoshop skills to rescue a handful, if any. For sure, the dehaze filter will be my friend plus a few other tricks. Sigh.....

👿👿

Sorry to hear that Gen, the photography gods were not smiling down on you. Hopefully you get some moody shots....

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Sorry to hear that Gen, the photography gods were not smiling down on you. Hopefully you get some moody shots....

Thanks Steve. OK, after looooots of editing, here are the results. 

https://www.facebook.com/gen.froggie/posts/10222743697974702

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thanks Steve. OK, after looooots of editing, here are the results. 

https://www.facebook.com/gen.froggie/posts/10222743697974702

Hmmmm.... water still looks amazing. Sky is quite flat and hard to liven up with that light, you're right... But if we had a 'blue' theme competition, they'd totally win!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Hmmmm.... water still looks amazing. Sky is quite flat and hard to liven up with that light, you're right... But if we had a 'blue' theme competition, they'd totally win!!

I used the dehaze filter first, then Nik Color Efex Pro to get tonal contrast and more punchy colours, combined with details extractor sometimes. You would not believe the raw files. It was quite disheartening. I toyed with the idea of the sky replacement tool but I do not feel it's right to use it in that context. That's the way it was, get on with it I said to myself.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, gvallee said:

While it was sunny with a perfect blue sky and white fluffy clouds half an hour before, it was almost totally overcast when we took off.

That's the main reason I dont live in the suburbs and ride a bus into town. With the unpredictable, ever-changing weather in the UK, the bus ride going in and coming back might be sunny but who knows what I'll find in the centre. I need to walk out and snap away in interesting light for the next half hour or so. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's the main reason I dont live in the suburbs and ride a bus into town. With the unpredictable, ever-changing weather in the UK, the bus ride going in and coming back might be sunny but who knows what I'll find in the centre. I need to walk out and snap away in interesting light for the next half hour or so. 

When I arrived in the UK in 1985, I was quite unfamiliar with rapid changing weather patterns. I would leave to go to work at 8am wearing short sleeves, only to rush to a shop freezing by 10am to buy a cardigan. To be honest, here in Cairns, it's not the end of the wet season yet. Weather should improve by the end of the month.