Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

As the clocks went back last night I had to stay in bed an extra hour this morning.

 

Allan

 

Shouldn't that be in the "good things" thread"? I'm over 59, you know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2020 at 15:17, geogphotos said:

Went to an auction viewing about 12 miles away to see a lot listed as consisting of an old slide projector ( not interested in it) and two big cardboard boxes of slides ( back to film project). 

 

Probably several thousand 'slides' but only the mounts. Just tray after tray, box after box of slide mounts of different sorts, some plastic, some card, without any actual sliver of film to be seen anywhere. Wasted journey. No idea what that was all about. 

 

 

 

Now thats an "outing" that is.  Or is that not one of the rules or is one of the rules or might be one of the  . . . . . . 

 

A disingenuous listing on the auction site re the slides but if you are lucky, as I'm sure you know anyway, there can be some real "social history" images (slides / pictures / transparencies?) - a colleague of mine came across about 30+ "Kodaks" showing a family's days out in America circa 1960+ ; fantastic images of the times. The cars, the clothes, the advertising - the Americana.   A joy just to look at them and wonder who they are (were) why their history turned up in the UK  etc etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2020 at 20:55, Bryan said:

 

🙂 Dialect but easily understood.

 

I have encountered people in the UK who are completely incomprehensible to my ears.  I was once cycling in Scotland and asked directions of a man. He helpfully obliged.  Fortunately he also pointed the way to go, as I had no idea at all what he had said. 

 

Allan - Re Sunderland - I was cycling home from work one day when I came across a man holding a large bird - as you do. I asked him what type of bird it was and he said Arisarc  I nodded politely and cycled on, only later realising that he was saying Harris Hawk A bit like the French,  some folk around here don't sound  the H.

 

I've read (and dont quote me) that some of the "Northern" words, phrases, accents are whispered echos of the Norse (so called Vikings) who populated and integrated e.g. Yorkshire and Cumbria.  The latter the last outpost of the Norse while Harold's ('arold's?) Normans went about their harrying (ethnic cleansing) of the north.   Strange really as they were effectively cousins at least.  

Not all Scottish is incomprehensible - I know of what you speak :mellow: - thats possibly just Scots "speak".  The most lilting, haunting and evocative language to me is the Gaelic of the Western Isles of Scotland ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magnus said:

 

I've read (and dont quote me) that some of the "Northern" words, phrases, accents are whispered echos of the Norse (so called Vikings) who populated and integrated e.g. Yorkshire and Cumbria.  The latter the last outpost of the Norse while Harold's ('arold's?) Normans went about their harrying (ethnic cleansing) of the north.   Strange really as they were effectively cousins at least.  

Not all Scottish is incomprehensible - I know of what you speak :mellow: - thats possibly just Scots "speak".  The most lilting, haunting and evocative language to me is the Gaelic of the Western Isles of Scotland ! 

 

Yes there are still traces of Norse, I'd always assumed that Hyem for home was derived from the Norse, but apparently it's from Old English.  "Am ganin hyem. " 

 

Certainly plenty of place names  derived from the Norse

 

Have to agree that hearing a song sung  in Gaelic can be magical, while posh Scottish is very easy on the ear. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandfather,  from many generations in the rural parts of Virginia, used to call "turtles" "turkles."   Found out through some Googling that was also used in Lancaster, UK.   Don't know if it shows up in other dialects of UK English.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Shouldn't that be in the "good things" thread"? I'm over 59, you know.

 

No, bad thing. Woke at my usual time which this morning was 5.30am so had to wait till 6.30 to get out of bed. Total waste of time.☺️

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2020 at 20:55, Bryan said:

 

🙂 Dialect but easily understood.

 

I have encountered people in the UK who are completely incomprehensible to my ears.  I was once cycling in Scotland and asked directions of a man. He helpfully obliged.  Fortunately he also pointed the way to go, as I had no idea at all what he had said. 

 

Allan - Re Sunderland - I was cycling home from work one day when I came across a man holding a large bird - as you do. I asked him what type of bird it was and he said Arisarc  I nodded politely and cycled on, only later realising that he was saying Harris Hawk A bit like the French,  some folk around here don't sound  the H.

Re the accents in Scotland, I also have great difficulty understanding some Scots. I'm going a bit deaf in my old age and when I visit my daughter who lives near Lanark, I'm very often totally bemused by the accent. It can be embarrassing at times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

No, bad thing. Woke at my usual time which this morning was 5.30am so had to wait till 6.30 to get out of bed. Total waste of time.☺️

 

Allan

 

We wait to change our clocks back until after we have got up, at our usual time. Worked in our favour today as we had a 2 hour drive to meet up with our son and his family so we had an ‘extra’ hour to get out of the house! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MizBrown said:

My grandfather,  from many generations in the rural parts of Virginia, used to call "turtles" "turkles."   Found out through some Googling that was also used in Lancaster, UK.   Don't know if it shows up in other dialects of UK English.

 

 

Not many turtles or turkles in these parts. Presume they were hunted to extinction or maybe we never had any. Suspect that the summers aren't hot enough. 

 

Just looked it up - "Non-native species. Thought to have been found in the UK around 8000 years ago but subsequently became extinct due to climatic cooling. Individuals found in the wild in the UK are probably escapees from the pet trade."

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bryan said:

 

Not many turtles or turkles in these parts. Presume they were hunted to extinction or maybe we never had any. Suspect that the summers aren't hot enough. 

 

Just looked it up - "Non-native species. Thought to have been found in the UK around 8000 years ago but subsequently became extinct due to climatic cooling. Individuals found in the wild in the UK are probably escapees from the pet trade."

 

Apparently, the UK has sea turtles as foragers and vagrants.  

 

Also, "Turkles" is the title of a movie about kids working to save Loggerhead Turtles.

 

Still not sure where the word came from, but that suggests maybe from sea turtles.   So, kinda like English Robins, American Robins (really a thrush), and Australian robins.  The Australians have used the word for the widest range of birds.  Central America has the Clay Colored Robin, but most people now admit it's a thrush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Found bones in my fish dinner this evening. 😡

 

Ugh! I HATE that.  Puts me off eating any more.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Ugh! I HATE that.  Puts me off eating any more.

 

Allan

 

I'm only going to buy from a fishmonger going forward.  I dumped the rest of the fish on my GF's plate 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:


May have to start eating jellyfish...no bones about em!

 

I like jelly but fish jelly 😬

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It rained most of today, which motivated me to wash the caravan before it goes into storage for the winter. The rain helped in the rinsing process, and it did get me out of the house.  I got drooked of course, but it's just water. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m very annoyed. I have adult children and grandchildren on the other side of the country who I haven’t seen in 18 months due to the pandemic. An April/May 2020 trip had to be cancelled and now, as things stand, I will also not be seeing them for the holidays. To cheer myself up, I’d booked a little December trip to a condo in a rural coastal area where I’ve stayed several times before. It’s about a 90 minute drive from my home, is very peaceful, and there are always interesting wildlife photo opportunities. My end of the online booking seemed to go through just fine and I received an automated email confirmation. Now, after my call, they are telling me the booking didn’t actually go through and the place has been rented to someone else. I’m very disappointed and will have to rethink my December plans. What I’d really like to do is get on a plane and fly out west, but common sense tells me that’s the wrong thing to do.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure whether this is a bad thing or if it’s good that I’ve not noticed. I’ve been selected to take part in the ICL COVID-19 antibody test. The kit came in the post this week so I took it tonight and after 10mins when the result was visible it was positive for the IgM antibody which if it’s right (which is by no means certain) indicates that I’ve had COVID and relatively recently. I had what I thought was a mild cold about a month ago and have developed an occasional  lingering but nagging cough since and never thought anything of it, the only real plus is in my line of work I don’t particularly come in to close contact with anyone and my wife’s working from home so at least we’re hopefully unlikely to have shared it with anyone :( 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bionic said:

Not sure whether this is a bad thing or if it’s good that I’ve not noticed. I’ve been selected to take part in the ICL COVID-19 antibody test. The kit came in the post this week so I took it tonight and after 10mins when the result was visible it was positive for the IgM antibody which if it’s right (which is by no means certain) indicates that I’ve had COVID and relatively recently. I had what I thought was a mild cold about a month ago and have developed an occasional  lingering but nagging cough since and never thought anything of it, the only real plus is in my line of work I don’t particularly come in to close contact with anyone and my wife’s working from home so at least we’re hopefully unlikely to have shared it with anyone :( 

You probably got a low dose of the virus, possibly from walking through where someone had just been, or handling something. Although I’m now hearing, for whatever it’s worth, that chances of picking it up off objects are lower than first thought.

The one thing that is certain, is nothing is certain. It’s like trying to stand on shifting sands.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bionic said:

I had what I thought was a mild cold about a month ago and have developed an occasional  lingering but nagging cough since and never thought anything of it,

 I thought the primary Covid symptoms were pretty well known by now.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicaragua is waiting for a hurricane a couple of days out.   We expats who subscribe to the US Embassy's consular emails have been warned to stock up on food and stuff.  What this means is that if the hurricane gets stuck crossing the mountains, we could get lot and lots of rain, and we've had lot of rain already.  At this point, it's still sunny and the storm is in the Caribbean. 

 

November is generally the start of the dry season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.