Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

“You’re seeing jagged flashing lights? That's a symptom of retinal detachment, or as simple as thinning of the vitreous humor, which comes with aging. That thinning can tug on the retina causing flashing lights/floaters.“ Whatever, it needs checking by an eye doctor, never ignored.”

Might these things also suggest a mini-stroke? 

38 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

“You’re seeing jagged flashing lights? That's a symptom of retinal detachment, or as simple as thinning of the vitreous humor, which comes with aging. That thinning can tug on the retina causing flashing lights/floaters.“ Whatever, it needs checking by an eye doctor, never ignored.”

Sometimes jagged flashing lights go with a migraine and it is possible to have a migraine without the headache. It happens with me at times. Rest in chair with eyes closed for 30 minutes and it disappears but there is a sort of mussy feeling for about another hour.

Allan

Allan, I used to be a migraine sufferer, but common migraine. What you are describing is classic migraine.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-with-aura/symptoms-causes/syc-20352072

On the week of my 50th birthday, while living in Woodstock, I had 3 terrible migraines. And I've not had one since. Not one in over 30 years. 

52 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sometimes jagged flashing lights go with a migraine and it is possible to have a migraine without the headache. It happens with me at times. Rest in chair with eyes closed for 30 minutes and it disappears but there is a sort of mussy feeling for about another hour.

Allan

Unfortunately severe headaches are now officially a COVID symptom.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Yes, I get those aura migraines occasionally. Just the jaggedy flashing but no headache. 2 ibuprofen and drinking  lots of water works for me.

24 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Yes, I get those aura migraines occasionally. Just the jaggedy flashing but no headache. 2 ibuprofen and drinking  lots of water works for me.

Apparently it only happens to the brainy people.😉

Allan

• Haha 1

While traveling, I had flashing lights in my right eye, along with blob-like “floater” shapes blocking my vision. I made fast tracks to the opthamology clinic, thinking my retina was detaching. Fortunately, it was the vitreous. The next summer the other eye had the same issue, almost to the day, while in the same city. At least the second time it didn’t frighten me half to death thinking I was either losing my eyesight or heading into surgery. 

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

While traveling, I had flashing lights in my right eye, along with blob-like “floater” shapes blocking my vision. I made fast tracks to the opthamology clinic, thinking my retina was detaching. Fortunately, it was the vitreous. The next summer the other eye had the same issue, almost to the day, while in the same city. At least the second time it didn’t frighten me half to death thinking I was either losing my eyesight or heading into surgery. 

Suggest you might be best off by not visiting that city again JIC.😇

Allan

😀....... until this year, I’d visited Paris annually since 2008. I certainly had excellent care at the Hôpital Hôtel-Dieu and the cost was nothing compared to what I’d have paid here in the USA. 

• Like 1

I had a different eye problem late last year, seeing flashes of white light in the corner of one eye. Thorough check up at an optician showed nothing abnormal and it stopped happening soon after. Cost to me...as a UK pensioner.... zero! 

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Never heard of mini strokes causing that. But I’m definitely not a doctor, so I won’t say it couldn’t be a symptom. I was simply in the room listening to the doctor tell what those symptoms indicated to the patients, plus the information I learned from my two Ophthalmic courses.

My husband suffered mini-strokes for years, never had that symptom. But not all people have the same symptoms. Covid 19 has proven that.

It's amazing how much medical information one can pick up at the elbow of a doctor. Just enough to be dangerous. 😊
I used to have migraines, usually with a severe headache. One day while at work, I had jagged flashing lights at the edge of my vision. The doctor dilated my eyes, checked everything, no retinal problems. I was having an optical migraine without the headache.  I ended up having several more as time went on. Sometimes what I saw was like looking through a window that water was coursing down. Everything I saw was wavy.

I enjoy being different. NOT!

Edited by Betty LaRue
8 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I had a similar problem about 20 years ago -- a reoccurring psychedelic light show in one of my eyes. Turned out it was due to "floaters" tugging on the retina (as Edo suggested). It was a bit freaky, but the condition eventually disappeared on its own and has never returned (touch wood). Now I've moved on to cataracts...🤓

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Exactly. Because the two conditions show similar symptoms, never ignore them. One is bothersome, the other could leave you blind in that eye if ignored.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I had a similar problem about 20 years ago -- a reoccurring psychedelic light show in one of my eyes. Turned out it was due to "floaters" tugging on the retina (as Edo suggested). It was a bit freaky, but the condition eventually disappeared on its own and has never returned (touch wood). Now I've moved on to cataracts...🤓

The floaters don’t tug on the retina. They are a result of the vitreous, during its thinning process, tugging on the retina. A floater is no more substantial than a tiny flake of dry skin, but if they are floating around in your eye, they can look like (to you) you have a piece of a barn in there!
when young, the vitreous is thick and jello-like. As we age, it begins to thin. We didn’t hear much about floaters until people hit 40, and then very seldom. Each few years increases incidents but seems to be pretty much over with (Or greatly decreased) after 60-65 or so.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The floaters don’t tug on the retina. They are a result of the vitreous, during its thinning process, tugging on the retina. A floater is no more substantial than a tiny flake of dry skin, but if they are floating around in your eye, they can look like (to you) you have a piece of a barn in there!
when young, the vitreous is thick and jello-like. As we age, it begins to thin. We didn’t hear much about floaters until people hit 40, and then very seldom. Each few years increases incidents but seems to be pretty much over with (Or greatly decreased) after 60-65 or so.

Interesting. My hair did the same thing -- thin that is. 🙄

On 17/09/2020 at 13:53, Thyrsis said:

Just thinking T you might not need the ibuprofen just lots of water might do the job. Something to do with  becoming a bit dehydrated. Try it next time but hoping there won't be a next time.

Allan

• Upvote 1

I really ought to start my own blog for this.

Went into Lincoln this morning on the bus to look for a new street map of Lincoln as my existing map is way our of date and there have been a lot of major road works since. I also wanted a "Pathfinder map" for the area showing all the public rights of way, footpaths, and bridleways etc. Went to WHS and they did not have either. Then I tried Waterstones and they did not have them either but an attendant told me that they were waiting for Ordnance Survey to start producing the Lincoln street map again. He also told me that OS did not produce the "Pathfinder" maps any more either. WASTE OF TIME.

Back to bus station to catch the bus home again. Now I should have had my glasses (specs) on - but I didn't. Caught the bus that was at the stand where the number 3 waits. We set off and after a little while I noted the bus was going a different way. I ended up at Lincoln hospital. Had a word with the driver when he stopped at a stop in the hospital grounds pointing in the opposite direction to which I needed to go and told him I think I have caught the wrong bus. "Where do you want to go?" he said. "To Cherry Willingham" I replied. "You want the number 3 bus" he said. "I know that and thought I was on the number 3" I said. "This is the X6 for the hospital only" he said. "Stay on the bus and I'll try to get back to the bus station so you will be in time to catch the the next number 3" he said. As we approached the bus station the driver said "The number 3 is just leaving, sorry". "Thank you for trying" I said.

Went into the bus station and looked at the notices with my specs on this time and noted that both the numbers 3 and X6 were now sharing the same stand. So I went on a circular trip and WASTED 20 minutes on the X6 for nothing. The next bus for C W would not depart for another 20 mins and time was getting tight for my next appointment at the surgery.

Went into The Grand Coffee House, attached to the bus station, and had a coffee and tried to calm down. Well I could not do anything else and I wasn't paying for a taxi. Caught the next bus for C W which arrived at the stand a bit late. Horror of horrors the driver left the bus and walked off. Oh! MG they are changing drivers. After another 10 minute wait I was starting to hop from one foot to the other.

Finally the new driver arrived and we soon set off about 20 minutes late. The driver seemed he wanted to make up time and sped along when he could but still seemed as though he had to stop at every bus stop on the route.

When we arrived in C W I managed to get off at the stop before the one I wanted. ARRRRGH! Another extra 5 minute walk on top of the time it usually takes me to get to my bungalow from the correct stop.

After all that the only good thing to come out of it was I still managed to get to the surgery on time for my appointment.

Sorry I just had to get the above off my chest. Enjoy and have a laugh on me.

Allan

12 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Went into Lincoln this morning on the bus to look for a new street map of Lincoln as my existing map is way our of date and there have been a lot of major road works since. I also wanted a "Pathfinder map" for the area showing all the public rights of way, footpaths, and bridleways etc. Went to WHS and they did not have either. Then I tried Waterstones and they did not have them either but an attendant told me that they were waiting for Ordnance Survey to start producing the Lincoln street map again. He also told me that OS did not produce the "Pathfinder" maps any more either. WASTE OF TIME.

Back to bus station to catch the bus home again. Now I should have had my glasses (specs) on - but I didn't. Caught the bus that was at the stand where the number 3 waits. We set off and after a little while I noted the bus was going a different way. I ended up at Lincoln hospital. Had a word with the driver when he stopped at a stop in the hospital grounds pointing in the opposite direction to which I needed to go and told him I think I have caught the wrong bus. "Where do you want to go?" he said. "To Cherry Willingham" I replied. "You want the number 3 bus" he said. "I know that and thought I was on the number 3" I said. "This is the X6 for the hospital only" he said. "Stay on the bus and I'll try to get back to the bus station so you will be in time to catch the the next number 3" he said. As we approached the bus station the driver said "The number 3 is just leaving, sorry". "Thank you for trying" I said.

Went into the bus station and looked at the notices with my specs on this time and noted that both the numbers 3 and X6 were now sharing the same stand. So I went on a circular trip and WASTED 20 minutes on the X6 for nothing. The next bus for C W would not depart for another 20 mins and time was getting tight for my next appointment at the surgery.

Went into The Grand Coffee House, attached to the bus station, and had a coffee and tried to calm down. Well I could not do anything else and I wasn't paying for a taxi. Caught the next bus for C W which arrived at the stand a bit late. Horror of horrors the driver left the bus and walked off. Oh! MG they are changing drivers. After another 10 minute wait I was starting to hop from one foot to the other.

Finally the new driver arrived and we soon set off about 20 minutes late. The driver seemed he wanted to make up time and sped along when he could but still seemed as though he had to stop at every bus stop on the route.

When we arrived in C W I managed to get off at the stop before the one I wanted. ARRRRGH! Another extra 5 minute walk on top of the time it usually takes me to get to my bungalow from the correct stop.

After all that the only good thing to come out of it was I still managed to get to the surgery on time for my appointment.

Allan

You must have taken A LOT of images  on that "trip" ...

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Actually Allen, you did make me laugh so some good came out of it. You need to get a smartphone or tablet and you could download whatever you need. That said I still like a good ole paper map and am surprised the OS are no longer making them. Have you checked online?  Of course you could download and print your own if you want paper maps. 

Be careful travelling on buses unless you absolutely have to do so. People are very complacent despite the massive increase in Covid-19 cases.  

Edited by MDM

I feel for you, Allan. In the middle of all my troubles with my furnace and in-ground sprinkler system, one of my in-law’s mother died. My daughter and I were splitting costs on extra nice flowers for the service. (held 100 miles away.) Kim handled it, ordered the flowers to be delivered before the next day service at 10 a.m.

Kim gets a call the next morning after the service had started and was told after all, those flowers were unavailable. They would upgrade the order with another 10% off for the trouble.

Kim tried to call me, but I was knee deep in alligators and snakes with servicemen here and missed the call. She was off to a doctor’s appt but managed to get me called while driving and passed the baton.

So I call the florist. I get passed from one person to another and back again, with no one taking responsibility to give me the discount on a different order, one dozen red roses to be sent to the home, since the service was missed.

The last guy was rude to me and I snapped. I’m sure it was a product of the stress I was under with my mechanical breakdowns and being pulled this way and that way.

I finally screamed at the guy, said, “Forget it! You all are the sorriest people I’ve ever dealt with, nobody knows what they are doing and I’m not EVER ordering from you again!   What a shame I didn’t have an old-fashioned phone to slam down. Pushing a button on my mobile didn’t release the pressure. I was crying.

This is the first time I’ve ever yelled or been rude to anyone I’ve done business with, even though he was rude first. My circumstances with what I was already dealing with is absolutely no excuse. It’s not their fault my furnace broke down and my sprinkler system didn’t work.  But it was their fault we had no flowers at the service, then gave me the runaround.

I'm so ashamed.

• Sad 1
21 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I found this. It sounds like what you're referring too.

You're right about the floaters. They've almost disappeared now (I'm 71). At one time, I had a veritable snow storm of them.