Jump to content
Ed Rooney

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

We could get into a debate about the relative merits of campervans and caravans, we've considered both but opted for the towed variety. Sure could do without having to reverse the van into tricky places however. Once, while towing through France, the satnav sent me into a building site, that was quite interesting.....

 

Some folk have tried both and found that a different solution was preferable depending on their stage in life.

 

Rich folk, probably not photographers, tow a little car behind their motorhome, well beyond what I am prepared to spend. 

 

Re car saga, took it for a longish outing and no sign of the warning light - fingers crossed.

 

Hope your car behaves Bryan. 

 

There is no such thing as the ideal rig. It all depends on what one likes to do, campsites or wild camping, offroad or tarmac, towing or not towing, age, budget, ability to manoeuvre. Every combination has its pros and cons. Our non-negotiable wishes were rigid walls (that excluded very popular camper trailers), no towing (ditto + caravans), off road vehicle, north/south bed (no climbing over OH in the middle of the night). So we settled for a mini-bus motorhome. Excellent in many respects, ticks many boxes, but we find it hard to park in town, either when visiting or going to the supermarket. Also while set up, awning out, etc, we sometimes need a little persuasion to take it all down to temporarily go somewhere. We have met countless Aussies who have gone full circle trying to find the perfect rig.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, gvallee said:

 

Hope your car behaves Bryan. 

 

There is no such thing as the ideal rig. It all depends on what one likes to do, campsites or wild camping, offroad or tarmac, towing or not towing, age, budget, ability to manoeuvre. Every combination has its pros and cons. Our non-negotiable wishes were rigid walls (that excluded very popular camper trailers), no towing (ditto + caravans), off road vehicle, north/south bed (no climbing over OH in the middle of the night). So we settled for a mini-bus motorhome. Excellent in many respects, ticks many boxes, but we find it hard to park in town, either when visiting or going to the supermarket. Also while set up, awning out, etc, we sometimes need a little persuasion to take it all down to temporarily go somewhere. We have met countless Aussies who have gone full circle trying to find the perfect rig.

 

Thanks

 

We carry folding bikes in the back of the car, prefer to leave the car rooted and explore or shop by bicycle if possible, but it is useful to be able to leave the van parked and drive off.

 

Speed limits are another caravan issue, it's a tolerable 60 mph on UK dual carriageways but a sluggish 50 mph  in much of continental Europe. Seems to be honoured in the breach by some however.

 

Climbing over OH in the middle of the night sadly a real problem for aging personnel, might have to resort to single bed arrangements !

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

 Once, while towing through France, the satnav sent me into a building site, that was quite interesting.....

 

 

 

I am very wary of what my satnav tells me after an experience last year ... got off the ferry in Northern France to start the long drive to Hungary and set the satnav to fastest route ... by the time I realised where it was taking me, it was too late ... I wouldn't wish the experience of driving through central Paris during rush hour on anyone ...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Climbing over OH in the middle of the night sadly a real problem for aging personnel, might have to resort to single bed arrangements !

Can you not rotate yourselves through 90°?

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Climbing over OH in the middle of the night sadly a real problem for aging personnel, might have to resort to single bed arrangements !

 

We have the best of both worlds. Two North/South single beds, with extension planks for the middle, easily stored under matresses, for cold nights... that's why we have a 7m long vehicle.

Edited by gvallee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly home from our jaunt to North Yorkshire in the motorhome. Impressed by how well equipped and comfortable it was. Big rise and fall double bed at the front, two singles at the back. Separate shower and toilet. Actually the only cramped bit was the loo!  Big ‘garage’ space at the back that had room for two bikes, fold up table and chairs etc.

Only irritation was the owners of the motorhome next to ours who were oblivious to their dog barking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learning today that since 1970 we have lost over two/thirds of wildlife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad news is we had a big cold front come through Wednesday. I turned on the heat toward evening, and discovered my furnace isn’t working. (Again) I’ve got someone coming Monday. Meanwhile I’m in heavier clothes and added another blanket to my bed, and broke out my winter jammies.

Many places in Kansas set new record lows the past couple of days/nights. And it snowed in the upper NW corner.
The weekend will be fine. Temps in low 80s during the days. I can turn off the gas burners on my kitchen range.

I actually looked forward to the cooler weather after a string of nearly 100 degree days. But not without heat in the house when needed!

 

Edited by Betty LaRue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Bad news is we had a big cold front come through Wednesday. I turned on the heat toward evening, and discovered my furnace isn’t working. (Again) I’ve got someone coming Monday. Meanwhile I’m in heavier clothes and added another blanket to my bed, and broke out my winter jammies.

Many places in Kansas set new record lows the past couple of days/nights. And it snowed in the upper NW corner.
The weekend will be fine. Temps in low 80s during the days. I can turn off the gas burners on my kitchen range.

I actually looked forward to the cooler weather after a string of nearly 100 degree days. But not without heat in the house when needed!

 

 

Snow in Kansas in September - weird! Meanwhile it was 121 degrees earlier in the week in Woodland Hill, California (a suburban area in Valley in LA - not even in the desert!) 

A friend's house in Oregon just burned to the ground this week- those wildfires out west are horrific and the super hot weather out there and the drought are making things worse. 

Nothing bad happened to me - just had to react to what Betty said - glad you'll have time to get the boiler fixed before it really gets cold!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marianne said:

 

Snow in Kansas in September - weird! Meanwhile it was 121 degrees earlier in the week in Woodland Hill, California (a suburban area in Valley in LA - not even in the desert!) 

A friend's house in Oregon just burned to the ground this week- those wildfires out west are horrific and the super hot weather out there and the drought are making things worse. 

Nothing bad happened to me - just had to react to what Betty said - glad you'll have time to get the boiler fixed before it really gets cold!

Thanks, I hope they fix it right!
What do you mean by boiler? Using oil as fuel creating steam heat?  In this part of the country, furnaces are powered by natural gas or electricity. Sometimes in country homes where natural gas lines don’t reach, they use propane gas stored in a tank. I have natural gas, which is cheaper than an all-electric home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Bad news is we had a big cold front come through Wednesday. I turned on the heat toward evening, and discovered my furnace isn’t working. (Again) I’ve got someone coming Monday. Meanwhile I’m in heavier clothes and added another blanket to my bed, and broke out my winter jammies.

Many places in Kansas set new record lows the past couple of days/nights. And it snowed in the upper NW corner.
The weekend will be fine. Temps in low 80s during the days. I can turn off the gas burners on my kitchen range.

I actually looked forward to the cooler weather after a string of nearly 100 degree days. But not without heat in the house when needed!

 


It sounds like maybe it is just your pilot light that has gone out on the furnace.  At my old house, I had to re-light it almost every fall.  I just hope you don’t pay a lot if that is the only issue.  It is fairly easy but understandable if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:


It sounds like maybe it is just your pilot light that has gone out on the furnace.  At my old house, I had to re-light it almost every fall.  I just hope you don’t pay a lot if that is the only issue.  It is fairly easy but understandable if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Mine has an electronic pilot. It sends a spark which lights the pilot. Once the pilot comes on, a sensor that has been warmed up by the pilot, tells the furnace if it’s safe to release the gas to the burner, then the burner comes on. It’s not something I have to relight every fall like in the past. Much like the modern kitchen gas ranges. 
i have had to replace the igniter on my former kitchen range before, so it’s possible the furnace one has quit working. That would mean a part, labor, and service call to pay for. 
The overnight low was 57 and its foggy. Feels warmer than that. It’s 71 in the house. Happy to have a well insulated house that two of my kitchen burners have kept comfortable. It was that first night after the front came in that I froze. Too late to warm the house with the kitchen stove and I never leave burners on while I’m sleeping. The wind was howling which always seems to strip the house of heat faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Martin L said:

Learning today that since 1970 we have lost over two/thirds of wildlife

 

The even sadder thing is that it is only going to get worse.

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL yes @Betty LaRue I have oil heat so was thinking of a boiler which heats up the steam in our old fashioned radiators (our house is 93 years old).  Glad it happened now so you don't have to worry about frozen pipes! Hope it turns out not to be too expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad thing today... my daughter’s just had her first full week back at school since lockdown began and now today we’ve been notified that there’s a case of Covid in her “bubble”. Back to lockdown it is then 😔

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Marianne said:

LOL yes @Betty LaRue I have oil heat so was thinking of a boiler which heats up the steam in our old fashioned radiators (our house is 93 years old).  Glad it happened now so you don't have to worry about frozen pipes! Hope it turns out not to be too expensive. 

Ok, understood. I haven’t seen a working radiator in these parts since I was in grade school. They are nice to warm hands we went through a transition when some homes had floor grates. We rented a house that had them. They were notorious for heating up the large metal grate to a point that if a toddler fell on one, they had serious burns.

Those didn’t last too long. My kiddos were 2 and 4 when we had them, and I watched them like a hawk. My third wasn’t born, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Bad thing today... my daughter’s just had her first full week back at school since lockdown began and now today we’ve been notified that there’s a case of Covid in her “bubble”. Back to lockdown it is then 😔

 

How shockingly unexpected. The logic (or lack thereof) behind sending kids back to school and somehow expecting that there won't be renewed transmission is completely flawed and entirely ridiculous. Schools are safe spaces - oh yeah. And it will all be over by Christmas. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MDM said:

 

How shockingly unexpected. The logic (or lack thereof) behind sending kids back to school and somehow expecting that there won't be renewed transmission is completely flawed and entirely ridiculous. Schools are safe spaces - oh yeah. And it will all be over by Christmas. 

 

I hate it when I hear people on TV saying that things are getting back to normal and others who take that on board and have parties and raves etc.

 

Regardless of what others say or might say this will not be over until there is an effective vaccine and it has been given to EVERYONE.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This evening I was picking up a takeaway meal to eat with my Mum for dinner. I managed to lock not only my keys in the car, but my phone and the just purchased food as well. The kind people in the shop let me borrow their phone. A kind neighbour was able to pick up a spare key and drop it off to me. So a bad thing but then a good thing in the end. I did have a nice butterfly encounter today which I posted in the 'good things' thread.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My furnace went out which I discovered when a cold snap hit. So the repairman was here for 2 hours, found a part that didn’t work and had to order it. Bill so far, $243. He’ll be back tomorrow to install the part, with an estimate of the cost another $240 plus.

So in the vicinity of a $500 Repair Bill.
I put fescue grass seed down in the places where it had died on my lawn and need to water lightly multiple times a day until it sprouts. Turned my system on, and the sprinklers did not come on. I’ve been scrambling...do I call a sprinkler business or a well service? Well service is coming tomorrow unless I cancel. Sprinkler service is coming soon, 15-30 minutes from now, in case it’s not a pump gone out. I may end up paying two services if the sprinkler service can’t fix it and it does turn out to be the pump, which they don’t work on.

I’m seeing 💰💸 flying out the door. Because even if they can’t fix something, the service calls are costly by themselves. If it’s the pump, it will be serious 💰.

A family members mother died after a long bout with lung cancer. My daughter and I tried to order chrysanthemums for the service, so they could be planted in the garden later. The florist took the money online yesterday, then notified today they don’t have the plants. The service was this morning.

I went to my cardiologist Monday, and because of some problems, am now wearing a holster monitor for a week to record what’s going on. And I’m scheduled for a stress test in November. I hate stress tests, I’m not sure if I can physically do the treadmill this time. I might have to have the chemical one. The first time I wore a holster monitor, it was humongous. I carried it cross strapped on my body with electrodes strapped on my chest. The second one was the size of a deck of cards, and I ended up with a cardiac ablation from that one. This one is tinier yet. About the size of a golf ball around but flatter.
I'm so bummed. Not about my heart, but what all of the repairs will do to my heart when I get the bills! :D

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief, Betty!

 

It seems we are all strangers in a strange world now. Nothing is simple and nothing works.

 

I bought an DAB/FM radio at John Lewis a couple of months ago. The other day, it stopped working, produced nothing but static. Don't know where the receipt went, but the name John Lewis is printed on the thing. I took it back to them today, not for a refund but to see if they could tell what's wrong. They couldn't get it to work, but they exchanged it for a different model. They are a good store.

 

I got the new radio home and unbox it. Screwing around with the 12 page instruction book for an hour now, I can't get any stations I want. THIS IS A DAMN RADIO!!! 12 PAGES OF INSTRUCTIONS!!! I WANT TO TURN THE THING ON, LISTEN TO THE NEWS AND MAYBE PLAY A LITTLE MUSIC!!! 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, Ed. I greatly sympathize. These times are not the times when we need our virus-contained lives to go wrong. We have little patience for those troubles.

Believe it or not, I now have good news. My neighbor did some dirt work on the drainage channel between our houses. He asked permission from me to dig up a drainage pipe from my house and put in another gutter coming down from my eve. So he did the work, and it was after that my in-ground sprinkler didn’t work.  He came over this morning to check out my system before any of the repairmen came. He had a feeling maybe it was something he caused.

Well, it was. When he dug up my drainage pipe, he cut the buried electrical line to the pump of my system.  He’s in the process of fixing that now. I canceled the service calls from both companies. I get to hold onto that 💰. My heart is happy.
Be sure to check out both bands on that radio.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Screwing around with the 12 page instruction book for an hour now, I can't get any stations I want.

I'm tempted to post a link to the 234 page datasheet for the PIC16F87xA microcontroller chip, but that would be evil. 😈

 

Betty: I hope he used a suitable connector or splice, otherwise you could be in for more problems when the ground becomes wet. If you get a breaker tripping when it rains, you will know where the problem is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

Betty: I hope he used a suitable connector or splice, otherwise you could be in for more problems when the ground becomes wet. If you get a breaker tripping when it rains, you will know where the problem is.

 

This should be in the ‘good thing’ thread...someone in London giving someone in Kansas advice on their electrics. How many forums are as diverse and inclusive as Alamy!! 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

 

This should be in the ‘good thing’ thread...someone in London giving someone in Kansas advice on their electrics. How many forums are as diverse and inclusive as Alamy!! 

I agree! 😊  Funny, that comment.  It’s like me. I worked for an ophthalmologist for a number of years. When I hear somebody mention trouble with their eyes, my ears perk up and sometimes find myself giving advice.

“You’re seeing jagged flashing lights? That's a symptom of retinal detachment, or as simple as thinning of the vitreous humor, which comes with aging. That thinning can tug on the retina causing flashing lights/floaters.“ Whatever, it needs checking by an eye doctor, never ignored.”
Thanks, DJ.

And yes, he is a retired electrician and said that the wires should not have been run underground the length of the front of my house, turn the corner and go to my back yard. He said they should have gone through my attic space and to the ground from there. 
That's why he accidentally cut them, he never dreamed whoever put the system in before my time would do it that way.
He’ll fix it right. He still has his electrician’s tool belt. He’s only been retired (Early) a couple of years. Maybe 60 yrs old. So he’s still up on everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.