QC Rank

Pam Reynolds

Question

25 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Pam Reynolds said:

Hi folks

Just a quickie, how can you improve your QC Rank. Is it the amount of images in your portfolio or quality?

Many thanks 

Pam

Hi Pam, your QC rank is purely a function of how many times you've failed QC. If you never fail, you'd have a 5* ranking eventually. I failed once on my original submission when I didn't exactly know what I was doing. No problems after I tried again using Lightroom a year later. I've had a single failure since in 5 years. So I'm a 3* rank, QC generally takes 48 hours for me.

Steve

Edited by Steve F

Hello Pam, as a follow up from what Steve has quite rightly said, just make sure you are extra diligent with preparing your submissions. When I started with Alamy some 15 years ago submissions were mainly scans from negatives and slides and submitted on CDs. I had a terrible time then and I think as a result of quite a few failures then I too am stuck on a 3* rank. Failures are very rare nowadays and I'm quite happy with a 48 hour wait as it spreads my workload.

By the way, I had a quick look at your colourful portfolio and I'm glad to see you've got a few images from the Norfolk Broads! If you don't mind me saying, in some of your captions you've spelt Acle incorrectly. You've put a 'k' in (Ackle) which shouldn't be there. It might help any searches of your images if you tweaked this.

Good luck with your work.

Jim.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

I had a terrible time then and I think as a result of quite a few failures then I too am stuck on a 3* rank.

My QC failures ceased to matter very quickly. Your current rank is certainly nothing to do with what happened in  2005.

Edited by spacecadet

40 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Hello Pam, as a follow up from what Steve has quite rightly said, just make sure you are extra diligent with preparing your submissions. When I started with Alamy some 15 years ago submissions were mainly scans from negatives and slides and submitted on CDs. I had a terrible time then and I think as a result of quite a few failures then I too am stuck on a 3* rank. Failures are very rare nowadays and I'm quite happy with a 48 hour wait as it spreads my workload.

By the way, I had a quick look at your colourful portfolio and I'm glad to see you've got a few images from the Norfolk Broads! If you don't mind me saying, in some of your captions you've spelt Acle incorrectly. You've put a 'k' in (Ackle) which shouldn't be there. It might help any searches of your images if you tweaked this.

Good luck with your work.

Jim.   

Hi Jim

Many thanks for your comment, much appreciated.  And thank you for the tip about Acle, sorry about that.  We have been going there for many years, and I should have realised about the spelling, "it wasn't me, it was my very old finger that made that mistake" lol.  I'm just waiting to do some more of the Norfolk Broads, it's such a beautiful place to visit. Who needs to go abroad when we have places like that to visit.

Alll the best 

Pam

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

My QC failures ceased to matter very quickly. Your current rank is certainly nothing to do with what happened in  2005.

Don't want to go off the thread but I have to admit I'm not too bothered. I happened to start going 'back to the beginning' recently to redo keywords and tags and all that while in the lockdown situation. I couldn't believe all the failures I had then which have long been forgotten. 

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Hi Pam, your QC rank is purely a function of how many times you've failed QC. If you never fail, you'd have a 5* ranking eventually. I failed once on my original submission when I didn't exactly know what I was doing. No problems after I tried again using Lightroom a year later. I've had a single failure since in 5 years. So I'm a 3* rank, QC generally takes 48 hours for me.

Steve

Hi Steve

Many thanks for the info Steve, I do try and get things right with uploading, and so far, it has worked out well.

Thank you once again

Pam

3 minutes ago, Pam Reynolds said:

Hi Jim

Many thanks for your comment, much appreciated.  And thank you for the tip about Acle, sorry about that.  We have been going there for many years, and I should have realised about the spelling, "it wasn't me, it was my very old finger that made that mistake" lol.  I'm just waiting to do some more of the Norfolk Broads, it's such a beautiful place to visit. Who needs to go abroad when we have places like that to visit.

Alll the best 

Pam

Hi Pam,

Hope you get to the Broads before too long. I do count myself lucky as having this as my 'home patch' so to speak. A large percentage of my Stock is done here whether travelling on the water or walking by the rivers. What else is nice is the variation between the seasons.

Keep up your good work.

Jim. 

Two thoughts. One is that there seem to be no 4 star contributors. It seems to jump from 3 to 5 (unless of course they're saving 4 for demoted 5 star contributors). Two, Contributor Relations told me a few months ago (pre Covid) that the rate at which your portfolio is growing contributes to your QC rating. So the more you submit (provided all your submissions pass QC) the more likely you are to gain a 5 star rating.

18 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Hi Pam,

Hope you get to the Broads before too long. I do count myself lucky as having this as my 'home patch' so to speak. A large percentage of my Stock is done here whether travelling on the water or walking by the rivers. What else is nice is the variation between the seasons.

Keep up your good work.

Jim. 

Hi Jim

Thank you one again for your lovely reply.  I think it will be a while before I get back to the Broads, my hubby loved going there but unfortunately he passed away a year ago next month.  I do live in the lovely county of Shropshire with plenty of canals, boats and wildlife.  When lockdown has finished I will be making the most of the rest of the summer, me, my camera, sandwiches and a bottle of pop.

Take care

Pam

2 minutes ago, Russell said:

Two thoughts. One is that there seem to be no 4 star contributors. It seems to jump from 3 to 5 (unless of course they're saving 4 for demoted 5 star contributors). Two, Contributor Relations told me a few months ago (pre Covid) that the rate at which your portfolio is growing contributes to your QC rating. So the more you submit (provided all your submissions pass QC) the more likely you are to gain a 5 star rating.

Hi Russell

Thank you for the information, I will have to get going to increase my portfolio, now I'm getting to grips with the procedures.  I've still a lot to learn, but really enjoying it, and that's the secret enjoying what you do.

Thank you once again

Pam

2 hours ago, Russell said:

Contributor Relations told me a few months ago (pre Covid) that the rate at which your portfolio is growing contributes to your QC rating. So the more you submit (provided all your submissions pass QC) the more likely you are to gain a 5 star rating.

That makes sense to me. I've only had one failure in 10 years (six years ago) but I'm still only triple starred. I put that down to the fact that I haven't been uploading very regularly for the last couple of years.

Alan

the other variable that seems to affect is the number of times through QC, so effective times you have been checks.  So a person loading 100 times 5 images cleanly would be viewed in better light than a 500 image in one batch.

Note that from an Alamy Review standpoint, a batch is all the image uploaded in one QC review, so uploading the above 500 images one at a time, pressing submit each time in the span of one hour, would likely be the same at the 500 in one batch.  

3 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

That makes sense to me. I've only had one failure in 10 years (six years ago) but I'm still only triple starred. I put that down to the fact that I haven't been uploading very regularly for the last couple of years.

Alan

Try uploading a small batch every week. That should earn you two more stars fairly quickly.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Pekka Liukkonen said:

It does not. I used to uploat a couple of batches a week for years without any problems with QC and still three stars.
I´ve stopped uploading now and moving elsewhere.

Perhaps there are other factors involved. Can't think what they might be, though. How long ago was your last failure?

13 hours ago, Russell said:

i wonder, do number of sales, ctr, factor into it also?

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Try uploading a small batch every week. That should earn you two more stars fairly quickly.

That would mean I have to find the time to take a small batch of photos every week!

Alan

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Not entirely sure if it is down to number of uploads, size of batch or total images uploaded over a period of time or a mixture of all.

For instance uploading frequent small batches, or less frequent uploads of larger batches, or frequent uploads of large batches. It is a numbers game.

Allan

I do think frequent uploads help in your QC ranking.

I've always uploaded on a regular basis, smallish batches of between 10 and 30. Over the last few years, probably 6 or 7, i've had a couple of failures, but i'm 5 stars.

John.

I've never failed QC but I'm three stars. I don't upload regularly though, as you can see I only have a small port. Maybe now that I'm back to uploading that will change. I imagine we won't go anywhere near 5 stars until we have a large portfolio.

29 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Not entirely sure if it is down to number of uploads, size of batch or total images uploaded over a period of time or a mixture of all.

My rank rose from three to five stars during a period when I was submitting very little due to a sour attitude that came from hardly having any sales for months. So I also wonder how much frequency of uploads has to do with it. Lately my uploads of current images have been sailing through as fast as the archival shots. I attributed it to the fact that I've had no QC failures since my first test shots and the Alamy staff is very busy with newer contributors combined with whatever workflow problems Covid-19 presents.

Hi folks

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to my post on QC Ranking, I really appreciate all the advice and  comments and have taken all the everything on board.  I've had a look around some ports and I have to say you are all a talented bunch of artists, and me, well I will have to get cracking to increase my own port and try and do the best I can.

Thank you all once again

Pam 😀

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pekka Liukkonen said:

Long long time ago, I can´t even remember.
Maybe it´s because I´ve got no sales or zooms for a long time. They suddenly vanished totally after mid February.

I've certainly had my share of QC flubs, even served time in the infamous "Sin Bin" of days gone by.

I guess QC rank is based on some mysterious formula that we'll never be able to figure out.

• Love 1

On 18/06/2020 at 05:03, Pam Reynolds said:

Hi folks

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to my post on QC Ranking, I really appreciate all the advice and  comments and have taken all the everything on board.  I've had a look around some ports and I have to say you are all a talented bunch of artists, and me, well I will have to get cracking to increase my own port and try and do the best I can.

Thank you all once again

Pam 😀

Pam, just curious. Saw your apple pies, so different than what I make in the U.S. what kind of dough is that? Looks so delicious. Is it puff pastry? Sorry to be off topic. I bake, too.

Betty