Jump to content

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

I watched some of this.

I didn't actually watch that, but I did read another, by Cengis Yar here. I'm afraid that any situation that is going to require me to take a First Aid kit and a respirator is not for me but I have the greatest of admiration for those that do.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bear said:

 

.

 

Since this forum is for liberals, although there are conservative photographers out there, I will go ahead and leave, and I never did like anyone saying "I'm going to leave", well just don't announce it, just go ahead and leave.  I can't seem to figure out how to do that in settings and I don't have time to figure it out, got to go somewhere, so I will be back in a few days to see how to do that.  Just like with deleting a post, you have to make a post to delete a post, never quite understood that either.

 

Fare thee well,

Bear

 

 

Eh???

 

You want a forum for illiberals? 

 

You only want to mix with 'conservative photographers' ?

 

Best of luck Sir. 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, spacecadet said:

There is at least one right-winger on the forum that I know of old. He occasionally lets his guard down but usually just looses the odd Red Arrow.

I'll be disappointed not to get one for this post.

 

I was going off this post gregphotos and assuming youall only want liberals on here.   Uh oh, looks like there is no way to leave in settings.  Am I going to have to contact Alamy to leave the forum?  Man, I have had no luck emailing Alamy and getting a response and that was before Covid-19.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

Eh???

 

You want a forum for illiberals? 

 

You only want to mix with 'conservative photographers' ?

 

Best of luck Sir. 

Thanks!

Edited by Bear
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cannot get into politics on this forum.  It just never ends well and no one is going to change who they are.  We are here to talk about photography, stock in particular...but anything photography related.  Yes, we do wander off and talk about food and weather etc...  But no politics please.  There are plenty of other platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook where one  can get into the political weeds.  I would rather not know your political leanings and I will keep mine to myself.  I learned my lesson a couple months back when we almost lost a valued forum contributor over politics..I was part to blame.  Not worth it.  Bear, you are welcome here.  Let's keep it to what we know best, photography, and throw in some plants, animals and food along the way 😃

  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why you feel the way you do, Bear, but there is no reason to leave the Forum just because some people occasionally bring up their political ideas. It is not really OK to do that but the best reaction is no reaction. Lots of people enjoy themselves here without giving an inkling of their political positions (which may even be the same as yours). The most popular political position here is "no politics".

 

Paulette

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I understand why you feel the way you do, Bear, but there is no reason to leave the Forum just because some people occasionally bring up their political ideas. It is not really OK to do that but the best reaction is no reaction. Lots of people enjoy themselves here without giving an inkling of their political positions (which may even be the same as yours). The most popular political position here is "no politics".

 

Paulette

 

but there wasn't much political stuff.  Someone speculating one the leaning of who put a down arrow, and someone not licking Fox News.  Even the leader of the US, i would say a right wing leaning person has been complaining about Fox news in recent weeks... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, thanks Michael and Paulette, I was expecting a trashing.......Looks as if Fox News has taken down stitched photos and apologized.  On CNN I see they still have 2, no 3 stories still up they stitched and haven't apologized for a blame thing, some of them are so old however they've been forgotten about.  Any way Fox has had other problems with the Roger Ailes firing and may he RIP.  I used to think;  Man, they have pretty ladies on the Fox Network, now we know, hopefully they will leave them alone.

 

You're right Michael and Paulette, no politics.... I just get a kick out of liberals running down Fox News as if that is the conservatives network and you never hear a word about the non professional journalism out of the others......as my old buddy Sean Hannity says "Journalism in this country is Dead".

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can all agree that no news outlet isn't without bias...we have hashed this out before.  Let's move on. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

We cannot get into politics on this forum.  It just never ends well and no one is going to change who they are.  We are here to talk about photography, stock in particular...but anything photography related.  Yes, we do wander off and talk about food and weather etc...  But no politics please.  There are plenty of other platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook where one  can get into the political weeds.  I would rather not know your political leanings and I will keep mine to myself.  I learned my lesson a couple months back when we almost lost a valued forum contributor over politics..I was part to blame.  Not worth it.  Bear, you are welcome here.  Let's keep it to what we know best, photography, and throw in some plants, animals and food along the way 😃

 

Thanks for this Michael. I feel the same way. I love having this awesome group of talented photographers to ask for advice, and bounce ideas off of. It's sad when politics get in the way of all of us just supporting each other. We're all challenged enough as it is, both with the general state of the world and in this industry in particular. Let's be here to help each other, regardless of whether we agree politically or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bear said:

 

Wow!

 

Let me start by saying; "I am always tickled when liberals run down only Fox News", IMHO - in essence admitting that all the other networks are liberal, and most of them are.  I am conservative and I don't consider Fox News a conservative tv media outlet, so that lets you know where I stand.  I don't believe there is a tv media out there for conservatives....

 

Chuck NackeTo Add: FOX is bad, but not the only offender. 

 

Yes, Mr. Nacke you are correct, CNN and the newspaper NYT have a marked history of journalism deceit and photo stitching.....and I have to say sir, that i always enjoyed reading your post and I knew early on you were a liberal with all the photos of Hillary Clinton 😀.  But, imho your knowledge of photography and journalism itself was something I enjoyed reading and felt like your experience was worth opining, a liberal with some sense in other words......😃

 

I enjoyed Spacecadet's stuff too, and I never used any red arrows during my short time here.  I believe it was back in November you took a rash of red arrows and I never understood why either......

 

I came to the forum to learn photography in regard to stock, it was hard for me to get used to shooting something someone else wanted to pay for and I had a lot of photos (images) sitting around not doing anything.

 

Since this forum is for liberals, although there are conservative photographers out there, I will go ahead and leave, and I never did like anyone saying "I'm going to leave", well just don't announce it, just go ahead and leave.  I can't seem to figure out how to do that in settings and I don't have time to figure it out, got to go somewhere, so I will be back in a few days to see how to do that.  Just like with deleting a post, you have to make a post to delete a post, never quite understood that either.

 

Fare thee well,

Bear

For the record,

 

I am not a "Liberal" and I am not a conservative,  I can read and I can think. FOX television news (which it is not) has always been bad.  I remember several people that I worked with almost every day in California that quit their station when it became a "FOX" affiliate.  I do not agree with everything that CNN does, but I believe that they do a pretty good job of reporting events. I do prefer CNN international over the domestic service.

 

I was talking about The images posted by FOX in Seattle and yes actions like that endanger working journalists and the public. 

 

The first thing I do every morning is go through CNN, BBC, DW, AFP, Reuters and China Daily.  I do not take any one news source 100%.

 

Bear,

 

I do not care for the tone of your comments and based on what you have written all I can say is "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
addition
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I guess we're lucky up here in Canada. I've yet to see any stitched-looking photos or overtly biased reporting of the current protests in our "mainstream" media. That said, I agree that -- sadly -- these days politics is best left in the cockfighting ring where it belongs.

 

Shaun The Sheep Hello GIF by Aardman Animations

 

Bye for now. I have some new pics of flowers to process.

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 That said, I agree that -- sadly -- these days politics is best left in the cockfighting ring where it belongs.

 

I can recollect long ago (60's and 70's) some pubs I would drink in had signs displayed saying 'Absolutely No Politics or Religion', as they knew arguments could get heated and lead on to fights. In more recent times forums I frequented deviated to brexit and race issues and threads weren't closed by moderators. I simply had my last word and left, never to return. There can be heavy handed moderation or sensible moderation, but probably very little moderation or none from Alamy in these times of heightened tension. Think before hitting on submit reply, and if you have afterthoughts there's always the edit option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sb photos said:

 

I can recollect long ago (60's and 70's) some pubs I would drink in had signs displayed saying 'Absolutely No Politics or Religion', as they knew arguments could get heated and lead on to fights. In more recent times forums I frequented deviated to brexit and race issues and threads weren't closed by moderators. I simply had my last word and left, never to return. There can be heavy handed moderation or sensible moderation, but probably very little moderation or none from Alamy in these times of heightened tension. Think before hitting on submit reply, and if you have afterthoughts there's always the edit option.


That is all vary well but I bet those pubs did not have a special room where it said Photographing Protests Discussion Room over the door but don’t discuss politics or religion. In this case here there is an enormous elephant in the room and that is the elephant that led to the current series of protests. That elephant is called Racism, a disease that is even more widespread and more dangerous throughout the world than Covid-19.
 

So how do you discuss the subject of the current thread without actually discussing the cause? Well maybe there is no need in the current context as it is perfectly obvious that there are no two sides to racism and no argument about it for anyone with even a modicum of human decency. People can classify themselves as conservatives, liberals and so on as convenient banners to view themselves and others but how many are willing to come out and admit that they are in fact racists? In fact many of those who hold racist views do not even consider themselves to be racist. 
 

Well to my mind it is very simple. A racist is someone who believes that those with different skin colour are inferior to themselves. That definition is simple and could easily be broadened but let’s keep it simple. So a white person who believes that black, brown, Latino, Hispanic etc people are somehow inferior is simply a racist. The next bit is easy. If you support a racist, then you are a racist. This support could be arguing for (in a forum, on social media or even in the established media) or even voting for a racist (that is politics so to be avoided here).


So I would love to see those who like to classify themselves in milder terms come out and admit what they really are for once. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bear said:

 

I was going off this post gregphotos and assuming youall only want liberals on here.   Uh oh, looks like there is no way to leave in settings.  Am I going to have to contact Alamy to leave the forum?  Man, I have had no luck emailing Alamy and getting a response and that was before Covid-19.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, spacecadet said:

There is at least one right-winger on the forum that I know of old. He occasionally lets his guard down but usually just looses the odd Red Arrow.

I'll be disappointed not to get one for this post.

In case you were wondering I wasn't referring to you. I'd forgotten all about you. Sorry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to have to lock this, sorry.

 

Topic of the thread: photographing protests, being approached by protesters and asked about taking photos. 

 

Topic has since strayed into: news propaganda, liberals vs conservatives, Covid19 spreading and various other veiled (and unveiled) snipes between members.

 

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.