Jump to content
  • 0

New/creative/relevant image listing


Question

When buyers search for an image, they are invited to choose in what order they wish their selected images to appear: newest first (even I understand that), creative or relevant.  I'm not at all clear how the images are ordered in these latter two versions (especially creative: does the software have some sort of aesthetic criteria built in?).  But that's not my main issue currently: instead, "new" seems to have developed gremlins, and for the last two or three days has been offering images in random, not newest first, order.  I know because I use my name as a tag (though I believe this is frowned upon) in order to check my images' visibility: they are there all right, but definitely not in "newest first: order.  Anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

New relies on the image date so if you submit images produced some years or months ago the system puts them behind more recently produced images i.e. further down the list.

 

As for creative/relevant? Lord knows though when I've seen the selections it always appears to put the more prolific/successful photographers in

prime position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 30/05/2020 at 03:49, will perrett said:

When buyers search for an image, they are invited to choose in what order they wish their selected images to appear: newest first (even I understand that), creative or relevant.  I'm not at all clear how the images are ordered in these latter two versions (especially creative: does the software have some sort of aesthetic criteria built in?).  But that's not my main issue currently: instead, "new" seems to have developed gremlins, and for the last two or three days has been offering images in random, not newest first, order.  I know because I use my name as a tag (though I believe this is frowned upon) in order to check my images' visibility: they are there all right, but definitely not in "newest first: order.  Anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

 

The NEW used to show in the order most recently uploaded but they have changed it to show them by the date taken.

 

Paulette

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
25 minutes ago, NYCat said:

 

The NEW used to show in the order most recently uploaded but they have changed it to show them by the date taken.

 

Paulette


That’s unfortunate as I’m working on a backlog of photos from last year, so I’m producing new out of date images lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Normspics said:


That’s unfortunate as I’m working on a backlog of photos from last year, so I’m producing new out of date images lol.

 

The simple solution is to change the image Date taken in the optional tab while in the Image Manager

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
25 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

 

The simple solution is to change the image Date taken in the optional tab while in the Image Manager

I would venture to suggest that s changing the 'date taken' field may not always be a good idea. Alamy is an agency which deals mostly in editorial photography, which may, on occasion, be date critical. At the very least the customer may want to know roughly when the photograph dates from. It is true that the photo's metadata may give the true date, but the prospective client may not think to look there and rely on the information in Alamy's catalogue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I think what’s best for me is to leave the date as is and hope for other search options to find my images, thanks for the suggestion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I would venture to suggest that s changing the 'date taken' field may not always be a good idea. Alamy is an agency which deals mostly in editorial photography, which may, on occasion, be date critical. At the very least the customer may want to know roughly when the photograph dates from. It is true that the photo's metadata may give the true date, but the prospective client may not think to look there and rely on the information in Alamy's catalogue.

 

A really good solution to that would mean another tab and maybe renaming the new tab: recently added vs recently shot.

Not something we could do. I agree it's best to leave the date taken field alone. Unless it's a studio shot.

 

wim

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, NYCat said:

 

The NEW used to show in the order most recently uploaded but they have changed it to show them by the date taken.

 

Paulette

 

 

and last i checked the change was just "from this point on" and they hadn't touched the order for legacy images. not sure if this is still this way

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
21 hours ago, Normspics said:


That’s unfortunate as I’m working on a backlog of photos from last year, so I’m producing new out of date images lol.

Ha, I just uploaded a set of images from 2016 ;) although they are from an event, newsworthy at the time, that I noticed no-one else had submiited images for, so I hope that they will still be found if there are any relevant searches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 20/11/2020 at 14:27, Joseph Clemson said:

I would venture to suggest that s changing the 'date taken' field may not always be a good idea. Alamy is an agency which deals mostly in editorial photography, which may, on occasion, be date critical. At the very least the customer may want to know roughly when the photograph dates from. It is true that the photo's metadata may give the true date, but the prospective client may not think to look there and rely on the information in Alamy's catalogue.

 

Quite right ~ it was merely a solution to the OP's problem.

 

Personally I think Alamy really ought to use the upload date for "New" or use "Latest Uploads" like a lot of other agencies.  They do use the upload date when viewing a portfolio but it seems in image searches its sorted by date taken

Edited by David Pimborough
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.