Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

 

He still gives a lot of information away for free. The rest he hopes to recover some of his costs, which is reasonable since he's not running a charity 

 

Let's not pretend to be more naive than we are and let's face it, this is a business.

The information that is being "given away for free" is nothing more than click-baiting, just the basic practice for any web-based business…

Edited by Olivier Parent
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2020 at 12:58, Brasilnut said:

 

He still gives a lot of information away for free. The rest he hopes to recover some of his costs, which is reasonable since he's not running a charity 

I'll save everyone some money - people doing things - that's all you need to know.  A lot of information for free - don't make me laugh 🤣

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
On 01/07/2020 at 00:21, giphotostock said:

40 "downloads" total. Average $3.65 per sale.

There we some $0.10, but there was a large number of sales that were more than previous standard $0.33.

If anybody still cares, here's the statistics for our images over at SS over the past 6 month, after the new commission structure was introduced.

images: 50

downloads: 229

total net: $122

 

These translate to:

$0.53 net per download

$20 net per month

$4.9 net per image per year

 

The last number is >20x of what Alamy brings. However, we do have very different images at Alamy (mostly "stock-worthy images we can shoot on our walks, drives, and travels") versus produced-for-a-market images at SS. Granted, the latter require more effort per image than the former, but not 20x more effort.

 

As always, disclaimers: one-contributor results are not statistically representative, it depends on the specific images, and your mileage may vary.

 

GI

  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, giphotostock said:

If anybody still cares, here's the statistics for our images over at SS over the past 6 month, after the new commission structure was introduced.

images: 50

downloads: 229

total net: $122

 

These translate to:

$0.53 net per download

$20 net per month

$4.9 net per image per year

 

The last number is >20x of what Alamy brings. However, we do have very different images at Alamy (mostly "stock-worthy images we can shoot on our walks, drives, and travels") versus produced-for-a-market images at SS. Granted, the latter require more effort per image than the former, but not 20x more effort.

 

As always, disclaimers: one-contributor results are not statistically representative, it depends on the specific images, and your mileage may vary.

 

GI

Those figures just confirm I need to stay the hell away from SS.  Thanks. 👍

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Total for January and February:  4 item(s) totalling $71.27 gross.  Net to me $35.63 unless one or more was a distributor sale.  

 

My guess is taking better care with composition of photos for Alamy would help sell more of them.  Putting in more effort, say.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, giphotostock said:

$4.9 net per image per year

Thanks. I'm also finding revenue / image is higher on SS than Alamy, but not as good as that. The type of images that sell on SS are different though, so my comparisons aren't like for like.

 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, giphotostock said:

If anybody still cares, here's the statistics for our images over at SS over the past 6 month, after the new commission structure was introduced.

images: 50

downloads: 229

total net: $122

Absolutely laughable

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the last running year, all three (AS, SS, and Alamy) produced about the same income ($1600) for me.  Portfolios are about the same.  A far cry from my halcyon days, but better than 1/3 the income with just Alamy.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/06/2020 at 23:39, giphotostock said:

 

Thanks for sharing buyer's perspective.

 

 

So what has changed from "long time ago"? Is your (or dedicated photo researcher's) time required to find absolute cheap photos suddenly become free? Stock images (ie images shot on a speculation that they may sell one day) are maybe devalued but people's time working on a funded (commercial) project could not be much less than $15/hour?

 

Um, have you looked at the legal push/pull with internships?   Some states have ruled that if the person doesn't do work in his/her college major field of study, they must be paid minimum wage at least for doing clerical work (court case involving a California newspaper which used interns for clerical work).   It would not surprise me hugely that kids interested in breaking into photojournalism or advertising would be willing to work for a resume builder.   Get a bunch of unpaid interns in over the summer and have them screen photos for upcoming social media promotions, and photos that might work for various categories in the future.  

 

The pattern there would be like people who screen unsolicited submissions in publishing -- they say quickly what won't work and pass what might work to the more expensive help. 

 

 

Edited by MizBrown
close paran.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Over the last running year, all three (AS, SS, and Alamy) produced about the same income ($1600) for me.  Portfolios are about the same.  A far cry from my halcyon days, but better than 1/3 the income with just Alamy.

 

I've left a couple of dozen old video clips "over there" (wish I could put them here instead). I used to get an OK amount when one of them licensed. However, since the recent changes, I'm getting a pittance. After a couple of video sales, I'd usually have enough in the kitty for a payout. Now it could literally take a couple of years to reach the minimum threshold of $35.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I've left a couple of dozen old video clips "over there" (wish I could put them here instead). I used to get an OK amount when one of them licensed. However, since the recent changes, I'm getting a pittance. After a couple of video sales, I'd usually have enough in the kitty for a payout. Now it could literally take a couple of years to reach the minimum threshold of $35.

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs and things are going downhill fast over there.  While SS was the best of the three over the last running year, lately my income there is about half the other sites. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Reimar said:

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs and things are going downhill fast over there.  While SS was the best of the three over the last running year, lately my income there is about half the other sites. 

 

I think that SS has made a very big mistake, on a lot of different levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, their new commission structure really hit photographers hard.  But their tolerance of thieves with stolen portfolios really gets my goat.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Yes, their new commission structure really hit photographers hard.  But their tolerance of thieves with stolen portfolios really gets my goat.

 

I wasn't aware of that. I don't check their forum often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Reimar said:

Yes, their new commission structure really hit photographers hard.  But their tolerance of thieves with stolen portfolios really gets my goat.

 

They made me laugh and cry last week when they proudly announced that, since I had sold 10 video licences since January. I was now entitled to the princely rate of 20% (up from 15%). The only trouble is that nearly all my sales at SS are via a subscription clippack which nets me a grand total of 35 cents (up from 26 cents) per sale. 

 

You'll not be surprised to hear I'm in the process of deleting my SS video portfolio and growing my exclusive collection at P5 which pays 60% on a retail price you set yourself.  Sales are only occasional but at least they give me a feeling of satisfaction, rather than the feeling of being utterly exploited, indeed shafted, one gets at SS.

 

Alamy, if you are listening, I would rejoice to be able to shoot new comercial and editorial video and to be able to place it here. Even at a 50% commission rate, the occasional sale would feel like bliss compared to what has been experienced at SS.

 

The sad thing is that even with what they are doing, SS are retaining some contributors who can't afford to lose more revneue by shifting, and also gaining newcomers who know no better. I do hope the SS contagion doesn't spread further. Removing my content from them is a small, but important drop, in a large ocean towards discouraging other agencies from following suit.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shutterstock has been bad news for stock photography ever since it was founded. It started by offering 50 cents for reject slides. Photographers who should have known better were drawn in on the basis that these slides would otherwise be in the rubbish bin. Guess what, buyers were happy to buy the rejects for pennies and the photographer's selects on a 'proper' stock site went unsold. Good enough and cheap as chips became the rule of the day.

 

You have to have sympathy with all the newbies who have been sucked into this. 

 

I have much less sympathy - none at all really, the exact opposite to be honest - for those who know full well what is going on and continue to take the pennies. 

 

The single best thing for the future of our industry would be the disappearance of Shutterstock. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/02/2021 at 17:22, Reimar said:

Over the last running year, all three (AS, SS, and Alamy) produced about the same income ($1600) for me.  Portfolios are about the same.  A far cry from my halcyon days, but better than 1/3 the income with just Alamy.

 

Posts like this make me think I'm missing a trick by being mostly exclusive here, but then I don't think I can bring myself to prop up the MS industry. In the end I go through this thought process every few months and still have not changed my mind.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cal said:

 

Posts like this make me think I'm missing a trick by being mostly exclusive here, but then I don't think I can bring myself to prop up the MS industry. In the end I go through this thought process every few months and still have not changed my mind.

 

Be assured that a lot of people have gone through that process and many have succumbed. Offhand I can't think of anybody who has made a success of tyhring to combine both Alamy and MS. If such a person exists they have kept quiet about it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian, while there are at least a few who do, it's been my experience that they aren't shooting editorial or travel content. In my experience, both do very poorly at the big micros, but still life and concepts are another matter entirely.

Edited by Brian Yarvin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

 

They made me laugh and cry last week when they proudly announced that, since I had sold 10 video licences since January. I was now entitled to the princely rate of 20% (up from 15%). The only trouble is that nearly all my sales at SS are via a subscription clippack which nets me a grand total of 35 cents (up from 26 cents) per sale. 

 

You'll not be surprised to hear I'm in the process of deleting my SS video portfolio and growing my exclusive collection at P5 which pays 60% on a retail price you set yourself.  Sales are only occasional but at least they give me a feeling of satisfaction, rather than the feeling of being utterly exploited, indeed shafted, one gets at SS.

 

Alamy, if you are listening, I would rejoice to be able to shoot new comercial and editorial video and to be able to place it here. Even at a 50% commission rate, the occasional sale would feel like bliss compared to what has been experienced at SS.

 

The sad thing is that even with what they are doing, SS are retaining some contributors who can't afford to lose more revneue by shifting, and also gaining newcomers who know no better. I do hope the SS contagion doesn't spread further. Removing my content from them is a small, but important drop, in a large ocean towards discouraging other agencies from following suit.

 

I'll probably pull my remaining video clips as well. My last video sale a couple of weeks ago netted me $2.00, a fraction of what I used to get.

 

P5 has never worked for me. I wonder if making videos exclusive there helps matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Ian, while there are at least a few who do, it's been my experience that they aren't shooting editorial or travel content. In my experience, both do very poorly at the big micros, but still life and concepts are another matter entirely.

 

 

I'm sure that you are right. Shooting for micros must be a completely different approach to editorial stock - after all the entire business model is based on volume eg) generic images that lots of people want. Secondary editorial stock is almost the complete opposite. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I'll probably pull my remaining video clips as well. My last video sale a couple of weeks ago netted me $2.00, a fraction of what I used to get.

 

P5 has never worked for me. I wonder if making videos exclusive there helps matters.

 

Until recently SS has always sold video in greater amounts for me and for a similar return per download as P5, which is why it is so painful to see the SS commission rug snatched from under my feet. I don't do much micro-stocky video (or photography), so I don't ever expect to sell a clip multiple times. I do soft-editorial, often of local subjects nobody else would bother to cover, so it's nice to get a half-decent payout on the rare occasions when they do sell.

 

My main P5 portfolio has been non-exclusive up to the end of 2020 and has sold at the rate of approx 1 sale per month per thousand clips (a similar rate to photos on Alamy). My exclusive portfolio has sold at a rate of almost twice that (quantity and revenue) but that portfolio too small to draw significant conclusions on the figures at the moment. It is growing so I may have a better idea by the end of 2021.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

 

Until recently SS has always sold video in greater amounts for me and for a similar return per download as P5, which is why it is so painful to see the SS commission rug snatched from under my feet. I don't do much micro-stocky video (or photography), so I don't ever expect to sell a clip multiple times. I do soft-editorial, often of local subjects nobody else would bother to cover, so it's nice to get a half-decent payout on the rare occasions when they do sell.

 

My main P5 portfolio has been non-exclusive up to the end of 2020 and has sold at the rate of approx 1 sale per month per thousand clips (a similar rate to photos on Alamy). My exclusive portfolio has sold at a rate of almost twice that (quantity and revenue) but that portfolio too small to draw significant conclusions on the figures at the moment. It is growing so I may have a better idea by the end of 2021.

 

 

Good for you. I'm just a dabbler when it comes to video clips. Haven't shot one for a couple of years in fact. However, it was pleasant to see the occasional video sale on SS for an OK-ish price. Now it's just peanut shells. 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vitor from Portugal said:

Me too 😁

actually these are the forum rules

 

  • This is an Alamy forum so it’s not the place to be attempting to damage the Alamy brand through defamatory comments or promoting competitors. You also should not post anything defamatory against our competitors or customers.

 

Impact of changes at other stock agency on the business, even Alamy has used it to explain pricing changes and approach, are hardly defamatory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.