I like uploading to the news feed. I'm somewhat addicted to searching out danger in some way. I see bad weather I want to go to it (Not just bad weather right enough). However, I'm not as good as the epic guys and gals risking their lives to get great shots. 

One thing of late has been bugging me about the whole process.

• You upload the pics
  • They sit on the site
  • You periodically check on the usage
  • They pass by and go into the stock pile
  • You like your wounds and demand better of yourself next time

Surely in this age of rapid communication, can we not expect that if an image or two is used from the news feed, we can expect to even just be alerted to the fact? instead of us constantly searching on-line to see what publication has used them?if any. It feels like a limbo. Sure there's the "Have you seen any photographs" thread, however, while that's an absolutely invaluable service and I applaud the folk for the research, should it really be up to us to constantly search for image use? 

A simple flag notification service to alert us that an image has been used would be so helpful. We don't need to see the actual report of who used it, or how much for, but a simple note to say it was used would be a nice touch. Even a wee email or something would suffice. 

I just think that little detail of being notified is missing, and wonder why it hasn't been brought up before? 

Paul

The reason I made the thread was because I've had two this year and was never alerted to the fact. Maybe higher profile shots demand more interaction with the photog involved. I've had to go searching around figure it out for myself. Odd that. 

I also work with another news agency and sales reports are often 3 months (or more) after the use, so I am told. Generally news usage seems to be self-reported by the newspaper, or whoever so Alamy will be pushed to advise sales in a timely way. In another place I am still waiting for sales report for the first news sale I found back in mid-August in the Guardian online; I don't know if I have made any Alamy news sales.

After you have been in the magazine photo business for a few decades it becomes easier to just sit back

and wait for reports of usage.... I remember, more than a few years ago, calling a weekly news mag. editor

that I shot an assignment for (back then film was shot, captioned on the film envelopes and shipped via

overnight flight to NYC) to ask about the images and I was told by the picture editor "If I don't call you

the images are fine." The lesson to learn is; Shoot it, Ship it (caption and upload these days) and go on

to the next story.

With that in mind I still check most every day to see what has licensed.

PS RIP Lou

After you have been in the magazine photo business for a few decades it becomes easier to just sit back

and wait for reports of usage.... I remember, more than a few years ago, calling a weekly news mag. editor

that I shot an assignment for (back then film was shot, captioned on the film envelopes and shipped via

overnight flight to NYC) to ask about the images and I was told by the picture editor "If I don't call you

the images are fine." The lesson to learn is; Shoot it, Ship it (caption and upload these days) and go on

to the next story.

PS RIP Lou

It's safe to say this is a historical method in this line of work then? This is my entry point you see. Only been taking pics for 18 months. 

Flagging a news feed image use may be a good idea, but then again seeing the image flagged is one thing getting paid is another.  I am still waiting for an image used via the news feed back in March to even appear in my sales, never mind actually get paid for it.  Alamy's attitude after waiting for nearly seven months for it to appear in my sales.  "The use of your image D50J2B in the [paper name removed] will be invoiced as soon as we receive the usage confirmation report from the client".

All the other newspapers that used these images during that week reported within 3 months. 

As for expecting to be nannied, I certainly don't, but I do expect to get bloody paid.

David

RIP Lou

Indeed. +1

dd

Paul, I just can't get myself to do any news shooting, can't adjust to the new "business model." What's it called again . . . oh yeah, crowd sourcing.  

I too will miss Lou Reed, as I miss all my New Yorker neighbors when they pass. I hope he gets to walk a little on the wild side on his way up to heaven. 

Paul, I just can't get myself to do any news shooting, can't adjust to the new "business model." What's it called again . . . oh yeah, crowd sourcing.  

I too will miss Lou Reed, as I miss all my New Yorker neighbors when they pass. I hope he gets to walk a little on the wild side on his way up to heaven. 

Ed, I don't walk on the news side much either, and when I do it's anything but wild. However, I've had sales of former "news" images after they've been added to the pot and have marinated for a while in the stock stew.

Sorry, Lou, for the bad poetry, wherever you are.

to the next story.

PS RIP Lou

Couldn't agree more with both Chuck and Keith, though I'm in a rather different line of work - after my my first few shoots (film, of course) for a major magazine I too got worried about no contact - called them, and got the message 'no news is good news', and learned not to worry

Archived