Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I have two more images to upload tonight?

We will see what happens. 

Fingers crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bella said:

 

Fingers crossed!

Uncross your fingers my friend,

 

Just uploaded two large jpeg's via the web uploader

and it was a very small amount slower (seconds), but both went

up just fine.  Keep in mind that yesterdays problem

was during the afternoon EST U.S.

 

Good Luck,

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had another go, this time with Filezilla, no success at all. Looks like it's one file per submission again 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bella said:

I've had another go, this time with Filezilla, no success at all. Looks like it's one file per submission again 😕

No problems with FZ a couple of hours ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

No problems with FZ a couple of hours ago.

I ended up using Xpiks again, they uploaded but again it was one image per submission. I really don't know why I'm having the problem but you are all probably uploading when it's the middle of the night for me. Maybe I need to stay up and try at around 1am :). I made my file size a little smaller to see if that was a problem but I have previously uploaded quite large files with no problem. With FZ they seem to upload but when they appear in Image Manager it says Process Failed, just the same when I upload with the Web Uploader it says Upload Error. I emailed support last week to explain what happened and my images were passed but I didn't receive a reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been uploading via Chrome with the Alamy uploader and have not had any issues.  Just uploaded some today and they went right through.  That was probably around 3 in the afternoon, London time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have been uploading via Chrome with the Alamy uploader and have not had any issues.  Just uploaded some today and they went right through.  That was probably around 3 in the afternoon, London time.

 

That was around midnight for me but I'm starting to wonder if it's just an issue from my computer, maybe I should try from my laptop and see if there's a difference. I don't understand why they seem to upload and then I get an error.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bella said:

 

 

That was around midnight for me but I'm starting to wonder if it's just an issue from my computer, maybe I should try from my laptop and see if there's a difference. I don't understand why they seem to upload and then I get an error.

Bella,

 

Could your file names be part of the problem?

Back in the "Good old Days"  long file names and

certain charters could cause problems, but that

would not pertain the being able to upload one file

at a time?

 

I do try to keep my file names as short as possible and

without charters.

 

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Bella,

 

Could your file names be part of the problem?

Back in the "Good old Days"  long file names and

certain charters could cause problems, but that

would not pertain the being able to upload one file

at a time?

 

I do try to keep my file names as short as possible and

without charters.

 

Chuck

 

I will try that next time Chuck, I've never had a problem with the file names previously as I just leave them how they have exported from Lightroom, such as 20200615-DSC0628.jpg. I'm really stumped but also wondering if my Bitdefender could be interfering but if that was the case I would think it would interfere with any other sites I upload to.

 

Once the support team are answering emails they might be able to help. If I knew others were having the same problem, I wouldn't be so worried but at the moment it seems to be just me.

 

I'm going to fire up my old laptop and have a go :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bella said:

 

I will try that next time Chuck, I've never had a problem with the file names previously as I just leave them how they have exported from Lightroom, such as 20200615-DSC0628.jpg. I'm really stumped but also wondering if my Bitdefender could be interfering but if that was the case I would think it would interfere with any other sites I upload to.

 

Once the support team are answering emails they might be able to help. If I knew others were having the same problem, I wouldn't be so worried but at the moment it seems to be just me.

 

I'm going to fire up my old laptop and have a go :)

Bella,

 

While Alamy has never specified anything about file names I was taught years ago to never use "-" I was told to use "_"

when I name a file or image to upload I use a short, five lower case letters or less, followed by two digits for the file,

if you have over 99 images in a group you would need to use three digits, and my last name  NO SPACES. 

I try not to use upper case. 

 

I also have never liked using the date in the file name, I keep a log with the image numbers,

the folder and who they were uploaded to.

 

Again, this is just the way I've worked for a number of agencies for over two decades.  Alamy has never said anything 

to me about file names, except for the jpg must be lower case.  

 

I would recommend asking Alamy.  I only have one file to upload tonight, so I will not have much more information concerning

this problem.

 

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I would recommend asking Alamy.  I only have one file to upload tonight, so I will not have much more information concerning

this problem.

 

Chuck

 

Thanks for your help again Chuck. I will email them again but I'm not getting any replies other than to say they are unlikely to reply as they are short staffed :) I will change my file names and see if that makes any difference. The laptop made no difference... I thought it might have been my internet security causing a problem on the desktop but it did the same thing. I don't think I should keep submitting one image per submission. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After trying to figure this out all day my computer was suddenly having a connection problem so I then connected via WiFi. For some reason it has worked! I did read somewhere about routers blocking a connection so maybe it's possibly something to do with my router. I'm really not sure though... or maybe Alamy has fixed the problem if there was one. I only uploaded one image so I will try with a larger batch tomorrow :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried two images and got the same upload rejection as previously. I think I will just give up for now and wait for support to answer me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2020 at 11:46, Chuck Nacke said:

Bella,

 

While Alamy has never specified anything about file names I was taught years ago to never use "-" I was told to use "_"

when I name a file or image to upload I use a short, five lower case letters or less, followed by two digits for the file,

if you have over 99 images in a group you would need to use three digits, and my last name  NO SPACES. 

I try not to use upper case. 

 

I also have never liked using the date in the file name, I keep a log with the image numbers,

the folder and who they were uploaded to.

 

Again, this is just the way I've worked for a number of agencies for over two decades.  Alamy has never said anything 

to me about file names, except for the jpg must be lower case.  

 

I would recommend asking Alamy.  I only have one file to upload tonight, so I will not have much more information concerning

this problem.

 

Chuck

Just to let you know I've finally sorted out what my problem is! The files that are uploading are smaller files, around 5mb and the ones that get an error are larger files, well anything from 7 or 8mb anyway. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my internet speed... it's pretty slow, but the problem is unique to Alamy. I know now that for the moment I can only upload the smaller files here. I'm so happy to finally figure it out. Thanks for trying to help Chuck and anyone else that answered.

 

Sorry to hijack your post Chilker :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bella,

 

Unless you are using "Dialup" and a computer that is old enough to order it's own drinks in a bar?  I do not see how the difference between a compressed JPEG of 5MB

or 8MB would make a difference?  I only upload files that are 10 to 16MBs.  I do have a good internet connection using an old Windows 10 machine and for the most part

I have not had a problem, except for once, using the web uploader on Alamy.

 

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bella,

 

I am thinking it must be your connection speed. I also upload files that are in the 10-16MBs and have no problem....but I am using a fiber optic connection which has a very fast upload speed.

 

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it is some restriction imposed by her internet provider. It can’t be on Alamy’s end in any case. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always uploaded larger files to Alamy as I do to other agencies, it's only Alamy's webuploader that I'm having trouble with as I can upload larger files via FTP. It still could be something to do with the speed. (I'm in a country town and fibre optic only made it to the junctions and not the actual houses). I'm none the wiser really, I thought maybe Alamy were applying some restriction with their webuploader but looks like that's not it.

 

In the meantime I will see if I can find a fast connection and test some larger files. I just don't know if I'm better off uploading one batch of smaller files or several batches of larger files. QC doesn't seem to have a problem with the single file upload. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s very rare that I manage to upload more than 2-3 images at a time without having to start over again. I assume that, in my case at least, it’s down to rural broadband speeds 😔

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bionic said:

It’s very rare that I manage to upload more than 2-3 images at a time without having to start over again. I assume that, in my case at least, it’s down to rural broadband speeds 😔

I guess I have to assume that's my problem also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Now it hit me. Started yesterday and still can't get anything uploaded. 

Hi Jani, do you think you're having the same problem as me? I had a reply from support to say no one else has had any trouble that they are aware of.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem solved. My PC was simultaneously synchronizing my images to Creative Cloud. Apparently that was too much for the broadband of my apartment. Shutting the Creative Cloud synch helped.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Problem solved. My PC was simultaneously synchronizing my images to Creative Cloud. Apparently that was too much for the broadband of my apartment. Shutting the Creative Cloud synch helped.

 

Oh, glad you sorted it :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

In case anyone is having the same problem at some time, it was my broadband, for some reason it was very slow, I can now upload very large files with no problem at all! Funny that Alamy was the only place that had a problem with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.