Capture One Express for Sony oddity

25 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I use Lightroom but I've always wondered if C1 (Express or more probably Pro) might be a suitable replacement so I watched some of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1041&v=IqaZoskYy4w&feature=emb_logo

They do seem to have quite a lot of videos and they are obviously keen to show how easy it is to switch from Lightroom or Aperture.

The video seems to suggest that the catalog automatically creates 'Smart Previews" and you can choose how large these will be depending predominantly on your screen size so I suspect that this is where most of your 500 MB is going, that's only 1.67 MB for each of your 300 images after all.

Thanks. I'll check out the video. Since I don 't intend to use the catalogue, I decided to delete the "previews" folders. It doesn't seem to affect the operation of the program, so I'll probably keep doing this to keep the catalogue from taking up too much space. I wish software designers would include more manual overrides for features that some users might not want. It would make life easier.

I'm in the early stages of migrating from a dying old iMac with PS and LR over to a new Win 10 PC and I've been eyeballing Capture One as a possible candidate to replace LR & PS.

Found that Capture One has a bunch of webinars, tutorials, and blog on their website that cover C1's tools, techniques, including C1 catalogs and sessions that are quite good.

https://www.captureone.com/en/resources

35 minutes ago, Phil said:

Found that Capture One has a bunch of webinars, tutorials, and blog on their website

I was impressed by the amount of resources also, however I currently have all my digital images, including scans, in the same catalogue because I find it convenient to select from any source for a particular application. I used to keep them separate but ultimately found it a nuisance switching between them, LR works brilliantly for that. However I gather that from their own video that C1 doesn't like many images in a single catalogue and isn't designed to be used like that. Not sure what the realistic maximum images in a single C! catalogue is before things start to fall apart.

7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I was impressed by the amount of resources also, however I currently have all my digital images, including scans, in the same catalogue because I find it convenient to select from any source for a particular application. I used to keep them separate but ultimately found it a nuisance switching between them, LR works brilliantly for that. However I gather that from their own video that C1 doesn't like many images in a single catalogue and isn't designed to be used like that. Not sure what the realistic maximum images in a single C! catalogue is before things start to fall apart.

I watched a C1 webinar video last night on their Cataloging.  It seemed to tell me their Catalog doesn't actually contain the images - only information about the images.  They could be on different drives, etc.   I don't recall hearing about any real imitations but maybe I missed it or misunderstood.    I've used LR cataloging for years but doubt I've taken full advantage of it's capabilities.   C1 Cataloging as demonstrated in the video made somewhat more sense to me with how it could aide in organization.

https://learn.captureone.com/webinars/get-organized-with-capture-one/

Edited by Phil

3 hours ago, Phil said:

C1 Cataloging as demonstrated in the video made somewhat more sense to me with how it could aide in organization.

Thanks for the link, they do their videos very well. It's not so much about where the images are stored, more that it seems that Capture One doesn't work as well as a database, or digital asset management system, as Lightroom does, or that's what I've read anyway. The more images there are in a catalogue the more it slows down, Lightroom is I believe much better. Hard to tell if it would affect me though.

Here in this official Capture One page the photographer says "When I was using Lightroom, I had every image I’ve shot since 2000 in a single catalog, but Capture One Pro does not work well with this many images in a single catalog, so it’s best to split images into multiple smaller catalogs." He then had to break his catalogue down into smaller separate catalogues by year in Lightroom in order to create the same separate smaller catalogues in Capture One.

https://learn.captureone.com/blog-posts/get-your-lightroom-catalog-into-capture-one/

Also here on the DPReview forum someone got a reply from Capture One that ""We recommend keeping catalogs to under 35k images to keep loading times to a minimum. Previews are generated when images are imported, but additionally any adjustments and metadata to the files are logged to the cocatalogdb file, which can take considerable time as well."

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60292314

9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

.The more images there are in a catalogue the more it slows down, Lightroom is I believe much better. Hard to tell if it would affect me though.

Another thing I noted in the C1 video was a suggestion that catalogs with large numbers of images loaded within the catalog or managed outside the catalog could be accessed faster if it was located on fast storage media such as an SSD.  Having a catalog of many thousands of images on a slow external 5000 rpm hard drive connected with USB 2.0 isn't going to be very responsive. 

Edited by Phil