Ed Rooney

Are You Shooting More or Less in the Lockdown?

10 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Took a peek, and like what I see!  You’re doing just fine finding subjects. Particularly love the flowers.  

Betty

Thanks, Betty. You must mean the dahlias, taken last fall in Paris. I’d already uploaded some earlier, but decided to load pics more once we went into "stay at home" mode. They were fun to photograph, though I don’t have high hopes for sales. 

Posted (edited)

I have been just catching up on processing past Photo Shoots 😀 so has been a very  productive time for me, and i still have more to do which is a good thing..I managed a few good stock shoots before the lockdown and got some good wildlife pics at a regional zoo, so added some more variety to my folio...Birds, Animals, etc...I also balance my retirement time with gold prospecting and managed a nice find so sold the nugget and got myself a fast sharp F2.8 /300mm tele and a couple of converters 1.4 and 2x so effectively giving me a 300mm / 420mm and 600mm..

During our lockdown exercise time walking around Lake Wendouree here in Ballarat, i of course took the 300mm for a spin 😀 and there was plenty of ducks / swamp hens / swans / and other assorted birdlife...( got some nice people shots too of people just exercising and just chilling out beside the lake ) I am very pleased with the results ( shooting wide open at f2.8 and having that extra reach to pull in tight on timid birdlife) and will continue to capture more wildlife etc..I always wanted a fast long tele so have a lot more subject matter to tackle in future with it...

Like many of us here i am just looking forward to better times...so we have to just do the best we can, and enjoy our photographic opportunities  when we can... 

Keep shooting / snapping / clicking / making pics that sell....

Edited by William Caram
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Much less. Reassessing since my doctor told me that she thinks it won't be safe for me to be out and about until there's a vaccine, so even when the NY metro area opens up, I'm stuck. 

In March and early April when NY on "Pause" started, I took some local Covid signs, people out hiking, but now I'm confined to walking around my suburban neighborhood since the hiking trails near us, usually nearly empty, are packed with people not always able to keep their distance, and the parking lots are often full as they are down to half. I'd take my camera on my daily walks and get some spring buds on the trees but there really wasn't anything that seemed of interest to buyers. The streets are generally no different than over the past 22 years.

I got my lilacs and azaleas blooming, but any additional flower photos will have to wait until summer when the seeds I plan to plant in a week or so begin to bloom. If I am truly to be confined for many more months, I felt the garden I have been planning would help keep me sane and give me something to shoot (I hate guns but don't think of them when I speak of a photo shoot). I would have been in Western Massachusetts this weekend for my 40th College Reunion, and had hoped to license images to the college publication, and then off to Cape Cod for off-season photos, fewer crowds (LOL) - spring and fall visits there every few years really add to my portfolio and I find I can make back the cost of the trip in no time. I live far from the beach but nautical images have been my bread and butter as far as stock is concerned, both through agencies, direct licenses, and they even account for many of my fine art sales, so being confined to my suburban home (don't get me wrong I am so grateful I have a home and yard and neighborhood to walk around) means I have to rethink things. Obviously I can't take on assignments either, which dried up with the onset of the pandemic, so I'm reassessing my career, looking for alternatives to make income and to keep myself busy until I can travel again. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

It will be some time before I can travel into London again and everything is as back to normal as it ever will be, plus I'll need to be vaccinated against the coronavirus for it to be safe for me. I am working on finishing off a few projects in my area, and spent a few hours today photographing local stores that are closed and may not open again. The same for some pubs and restaurants too. Today received a letter informing me I hadn't contracted the Coronavirus, something I was well aware of. The letter was a follow on from taking part in a survey to determine the extent of Coronavirus infections in the UK, and taking the home test kit nasal and throat swabs to be couriered to a lab. As a bonus photographing the kit and uploading to my port added to the COVID-19 / NHS related images. If anyone reading this has to swab their nose and throat it's very straight forward. No issues with the throat, but the nasal swab was a little uncomfortable, plus wanted to make me sneeze and eyes would run. Still shooting far less than pre lockdown.

Edited by sb photos
  • Thanks 1

Photographing quite a bit more.

The vast majority of my work here on Alamy has been taken whilst out and about with my driving work. Currently doing mostly van work, 5 - 8 deliveries a day. Next week trips to south Wales, Humberside, Herefordshire, and Cornwall (all UK). So I shall probably find places to have a quick wander and take stock !

My driving duties sees me travelling across continental Europe at times, and even to the USA and Canada. So I'm quite lucky in a way.

As the lockdown restrictions in the UK are eased, I have noticed that the roadside littering is starting to appear again, from the customers of McDonald's, Costa Coffee etc., that are slowly reopening up again.. 😠

Posted (edited)

Perhaps the same, but it's almost exclusively editorial now because I have been picking up weekly freelance gigs photographing protests, and before that I was asked to film some some community spirit stories. Even if it wasn't frowned upon, my local parks are too crowded to go looking for my usual birdies and things.

Edited by PuffinsPictures

Posted (edited)

I try to walk 10 000 steps each day. Before covid I did it mostly by walking to my workplace and back. Nowadays I work remotely and gain my steps after working hours and I usually take my camera with me. So I've been shooting more during couple of last months. I usually regret if I leave the camera home, there is always something interesting and worth photographing going on - even in Helsinki. 

However my working positions at home are really unergonomic and my upper back has been aching for weeks now, so I'm trying live with the fact that I can't bring the camera with me all the time. 

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
  • Sad 1

Shooting less now. Bored taking pics of people in masks, empty beaches, closed shop etc. 

Sad state of affairs this virus has created. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Shooting less now. Bored taking pics of people in masks, empty beaches, closed shop etc. 

Sad state of affairs this virus has created. 

Same here, although I haven't really put much effort into it.

A sad situation indeed, and unfortunately I think that things will get worse before they get better. Keeping the lid on the spread of the virus is going to get increasingly difficult. But that's depressing...

Edited by John Mitchell

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

No one can stay in the fridge forever, not even Boris.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

I try to walk 10 000 steps each day. Before covid I did it mostly by walking to my workplace and back. Nowadays I work remotely and gain my steps after working hours and I usually take my camera with me. So I've been shooting more during couple of last months. I usually regret if I leave the camera home, there is always something interesting and worth photographing going on - even in Helsinki. 

However my working positions at home are really unergonomic and my upper back has been aching for weeks now, so I'm trying live with the fact that I can't bring the camera with me all the time. 

Time for a pocket Sony RX100, Jani.

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I know and I'm tempted. 

Spend the money and save your only back. 🙂

4 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Spend the money and save your only back. 🙂

Sounds like JaniMarkus needs to deal with his home work area first though. Not saying he should not get an RX100 but that won’t cure his back. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Once the true extent of the Coronavirus started to become known, along with the likelyhood of its financial implications, I wondered if I should have spent so much on the RX100 VII. At that time it was just being despatched from Hong Kong, a grey import purchase. After it eventually arrived I'm glad I did buy it, it's getting more and more use, just need to work within its limitations. Today I took out my shoulder bag, 2 x D750's, 17-35, 24-70 and 70-300 lenses, walking 7.9km. Was filling in gaps re earlier shoots for a few series of images. By the time I got home in the heat, carrying 2 bags of shopping from Morrison's and my shoulder bag I wish I had just taken the RX100. A wonderful little camera.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Once the true extent of the Coronavirus started to become known, along with the likelyhood of its financial implications, I wondered if I should have spent so much on the RX100 VII. At that time it was just being despatched from Hong Kong, a grey import purchase. After it eventually arrived I'm glad I did buy it, it's getting more and more use, just need to work within its limitations. Today I took out my shoulder bag, 2 x D750's, 17-35, 24-70 and 70-300 lenses, walking 7.9km. Was filling in gaps re earlier shoots for a few series of images. By the time I got home in the heat, carrying 2 bags of shopping from Morrison's and my shoulder bag I wish I had just taken the RX100. A wonderful little camera.

After hearing all the positive comments, an RX100 is on my wish list, but I can't afford any new stuff at the moment. Fortunately, my smallish Sony a6000 plus a lens or two easily fit into a small camera bag, which is light enough not to bother my back. It would be nice to have something ultra-compact, though. I think that I'd have to use a wheelbarrow for the Nikon kit that you mentioned. They might have to carry me home on a stretcher if shopping bags were involved as well. 😩

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

After hearing all the positive comments, an RX100 is on my wish list, but I can't afford any new stuff at the moment. Fortunately, my smallish Sony a6000 plus a lens or two easily fit into a small camera bag, which is light enough not to bother my back. It would be nice to have something ultra-compact, though. I think that I'd have to use a wheelbarrow for the Nikon kit that you mentioned. They might have to carry me home on a stretcher if shopping bags were involved as well. 😩

Once I left Morrison's with the shopping, which included 6 bottles of beer and cider, it was only about a miles walk home. I did stop a few times in what shade I could find, only pure determination got me home without phoning my wife for a lift.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Once I left Morrison's with the shopping, which included 6 bottles of beer and cider, it was only about a miles walk home. I did stop a few times in what shade I could find, only pure determination got me home without phoning my wife for a lift.

If that had been me the first question when I walked through the door would have been "Why did you bring all these empty bottles home?".

Stay safe...;-)

Edited by Mr Standfast
Typo
  • Haha 2

I hope all my mates here on the forum are staying safe and well. I'm trying to.

MDM and his wife have had the virus. Thank God they are now recovering. But remember: this pandemic is a killer, nothing to ignore. At 85, I don't expect to waltz through the next decade. In fact, I don't know how I've made it this far. But be warned: I intend to fight everyday to keep it from being it my last.

We're all in this together, right? 

Edo

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Is that you, Dominic??

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My name is not Dominic, and that is a political remark. Delete it now!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I hope all my mates here on the forum are staying safe and well. I'm trying to.

MDM and his wife have had the virus. Thank God they are now recovering. But remember: this pandemic is a killer, nothing to ignore. At 85, I don't expect to waltz through the next decade. In fact, I don't know how I've made it this far. But be warned: I intend to fight everyday to keep it from being it my last.

Edo

Yes, the pandemic is no joke. I'm not very optimistic about the whole thing at the moment. However, I think that "we're all in it together" is the most important message out there. It is what might eventually get us through all of this if enough people listen (and act).

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure you'll continue to out-waltz most of us.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

My name is not Dominic, and that is a political remark. Delete it now!

More of a public health comment, but it's an understandable answer to the question "are we in this together?" and intensely relevant to it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't need a translation. It was a political remark.

• Upvote 1