Ed Rooney

Are You Shooting More or Less in the Lockdown?

3 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

To answer the original question....Shooting more...

From the first day of the lockdown I felt it was important to document what was happening.

Restricted by the State of Emergency laws I could only shoot at home, out the window, off the balcony and on occasional trips to the shops I took my camera but couldn't 

stop anywhere for more than a minute or two without risking a heavy fine from the boys in blue, but I made some photos that record my experience of that time.

Since 23rd April I got authorisation from the Adeje council to go out and photograph in the municipality which has been an eerie experience, walking through deserted touristic areas felt like being in a sci fi movie where everyone has vanished!  

Anyway I believe I've captured some unique moments and scenes which will form part of an archive of a very strange time.

This last week the de-escalation of restrictions has begun and I'm continuing to go out a couple of times each week to document the progress.

So I've shot about 6000 images and about 800 images have gone on Alamy since 15th March when the lockdown began.

Phil

Wow. You've done a really thorough job of covering the situation where you live. The restrictions in Vancouver are minimal in comparison. A state of emergency was never declared here. Hopefully things continue to improve in the Canary Islands.

Strange times indeed...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

To answer the original question....Shooting more...

From the first day of the lockdown I felt it was important to document what was happening.

Restricted by the State of Emergency laws I could only shoot at home, out the window, off the balcony and on occasional trips to the shops I took my camera but couldn't 

stop anywhere for more than a minute or two without risking a heavy fine from the boys in blue, but I made some photos that record my experience of that time.

Since 23rd April I got authorisation from the Adeje council to go out and photograph in the municipality which has been an eerie experience, walking through deserted touristic areas felt like being in a sci fi movie where everyone has vanished!  

Anyway I believe I've captured some unique moments and scenes which will form part of an archive of a very strange time.

This last week the de-escalation of restrictions has begun and I'm continuing to go out a couple of times each week to document the progress.

So I've shot about 6000 images and about 800 images have gone on Alamy since 15th March when the lockdown began.

Phil

As our trip to Tenerife in April was cancelled I would like to see your images! Still waiting for a refund from Ryanair.......

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I saw it on our news and in the newspaper. More than once...a follow up story.

I'd say that it's good to hear that news does trickle south. However, given how horrific the event was, you wouldn't have been missing anything. There's enough bad news out there already.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Wow. You've done a really thorough job of covering the situation where you live. The restrictions in Vancouver are minimal in comparison. A state of emergency was never declared here. Hopefully things continue to improve in the Canary Islands.

Strange times indeed...

It's been interesting to see the various handling. Montreal is still in state of emergency, but we never had a true lock-down.  People still were free to go about unquestioned, just not do anything other than walk around.  Nice weather today, interesting seeing people playing in park in small family trying to all keep distances.....  We get lifting of No Go on some individual activity on wednesday- but still no stores- it will be interesting to see how that goes...  

20 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, we never get weather reports about Canada unless something very extreme happens.  

so sunny day in Vancouver between December and February are announced? 🙂

to be honest being currently in Quebec, they barely mention weather outside the province....  

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Heard about the shooting in NS too. Very sad but good to hear that Trudeau took some action.  Yes, we never get weather reports about Canada unless something very extreme happens.  Of course we have our weather forecasters saying something like, "There is a strong cold front coming from Canada this weekend" , so people think that Canada just produces cold air and sends it our way.  I was once on PEI and the tourism woman was incensed that Americans have this impression that Canada is cold all year long.  She said that it never fails that American tourists would arrive in PEI, in July,  with parkas in hand.

We visited relatives in eastern Canada some years ago arriving late September, and came equipped with heavy coats and winter clothes, but we had to go out and buy lightweight stuff as the weather was beautiful! I was surprised to learn that agriculture and, in particular, viticulture, were important industries, with hot summers to compensate for the cold winters. I note that the UK press described the Canadian climate as brutal, when Harry and Meghan were heading out there, but I have to say that we greatly enjoyed our stay,  encountering warm sunshine, generous hospitality and glorious scenery.

• Like 1

I spent the entire summer of 2018 in Montreal. The weather was perfect. But I've been there in winter and that was brutal. 

10 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

As our trip to Tenerife in April was cancelled I would like to see your images! Still waiting for a refund from Ryanair.......

Most are in these galleries on my website:

https://www.philcrean.com/costa_adeje_lockdown

https://www.philcrean.com/lockdown_days

https://www.philcrean.com/covid_stories

Ryanair are not doing themselves any favours in how they're dealing with customers throughout this crisis. It seems that they're holding on to peoples money as long as possible and trying to pass off credit notes towards future flights instead of giving refunds.

Tenerife, along with the rest of Spain, has closed it's borders to almost all international traffic and I don't expect it to re-open until July at the earliest. 

The effect on our economy is massive, and there is a lot of worried people wondering how the tourist industry is going to reorganise. I think this story is going to carry on for a long time.

Phil

2 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

Most are in these galleries on my website:

https://www.philcrean.com/costa_adeje_lockdown

https://www.philcrean.com/lockdown_days

https://www.philcrean.com/covid_stories

Ryanair are not doing themselves any favours in how they're dealing with customers throughout this crisis. It seems that they're holding on to peoples money as long as possible and trying to pass off credit notes towards future flights instead of giving refunds.

Tenerife, along with the rest of Spain, has closed it's borders to almost all international traffic and I don't expect it to re-open until July at the earliest. 

The effect on our economy is massive, and there is a lot of worried people wondering how the tourist industry is going to reorganise. I think this story is going to carry on for a long time.

Phil

I’ve raised the issue with my credit card provider so hopefully I will get the refund in a month or two...

Can’t see us visiting Tenerife again for some time sadly. 🙁

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Heard about the shooting in NS too. Very sad but good to hear that Trudeau took some action.  Yes, we never get weather reports about Canada unless something very extreme happens.  Of course we have our weather forecasters saying something like, "There is a strong cold front coming from Canada this weekend" , so people think that Canada just produces cold air and sends it our way.  I was once on PEI and the tourism woman was incensed that Americans have this impression that Canada is cold all year long.  She said that it never fails that American tourists would arrive in PEI, in July,  with parkas in hand.

I have a friend originally from Montreal who now lives in Texas. He says that the only time that he hears anything about Canada is when "cold Canadian air" is on the way. In Vancouver, we shovel rain for most of the winter and our igloos resemble wading pools. 🚣‍♂️

• Like 2

I have not touched my cameras in over 8 weeks...

I've been focused on home improvement projects and learning about computer networks and network security.

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel... or it could be an oncoming train? 

God Bless,

• Upvote 2

Weather here usually says “Polar air”. Not often do I  hear Canadian cold front. Possibly because I’m a weather nut. If I hear “Canadian cold front, then I’m very aware it swept across Canada from the north. These fronts move southerly. I know they don’t originate in Canada.

As far as Canadian weather goes, I never hear about it. Our weather people have a couple of minutes to tell ours and can’t even cover it as thoroughly as they should as far as I’m concerned, let alone another country’s. They tend to quickly tell what’s happening or going to happen in our state, and many times if we want to take a trip to another state, we have to go to the “weather channel” to get a broader outlook.

One thing I’ve discovered...Kansas weather coverage stinks compared to Oklahoma where I used to live. Oklahoma is home to the prestigious National Weather Service. Then each television broadcasting station competes with each other to have the latest greatest Doppler radar.

I think Kansas gets the rejects from Oklahoma’s 10 year-old radar systems, then keep them around another 10 years. (Seems like) In tornado alley, it makes a difference. Here, it takes 8 minutes for the radar to make a sweep. Oklahoma’s is instantaneous. Sometimes a difference of life and death if a tornado suddenly drops from the sky a few miles away. Your house and you with it could be gone in 8 minutes.
Rant over. 😊

Betty

On 17/05/2020 at 00:53, Sally R said:

I think that's probably true for most people across the world, whether in the US or here in Australia or elsewhere. I haven't read the theory about it, but I'm guessing the words we use such as shooting or talking about the shutter firing etc, relate to word origins that are found in other terminologies. We might say that a car backfired or a motorcycle was shooting past us on the freeway, and we know what people mean because the context tells us.

Here there is a photography workshop business attached to a leading camera retailer called Shoot Photography Workshops. I have never had any association in my mind between this and anything to do with guns. It is only on reflection as a result of reading this thread that I'm thinking about it. But I do find it interesting thinking about how going out and taking photos might have similarities to what it is like hunting and gathering, where we use all our senses to sense what is around us and notice fine details in the landscape. For example, in spring I am always out photographing wildflowers, which to me feels like a form of gathering (that gets stored first on my camera and then my computer). So going way back before guns were invented, photography perhaps shares some of the perceptual skills and orientations that are used to subsist in an environment.

I probably think like this because I do so much of my photography out in nature, and I'm always noticing the seasons, the angle of light, what the clouds are doing and what shapes they are, whether it is windy or not, which birds, animals and insects are active, and so on. All of those things affect my decisions and orientation to my environment, and I think I extend this to doing photography in human-built environments as well.

Huntering and gathering is a very apt metaphor for what we do. At least I feel so with the style of photographing I like best. Which is always a QUEST.

• Upvote 1

Today in the Liverpool Echo, they warned that the hottest day of the year could hit town this week. It might be 22C. That's 72F. LOL! That's the local idea of hot. And in winter it rarely dips below freezing. I've been here for over 10 months now and it's never been cold or hot. 

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Today in the Liverpool Echo, they warned that the hottest day of the year could hit town this week. It might be 22C. That's 72F. LOL! That's the local idea of hot. And in winter it rarely dips below freezing. I've been here for over 10 months now and it's never been cold or hot. 

Sounds pretty ideal to me!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Huntering and gathering is a very apt metaphor for what we do. At least I feel so with the style of photographing I like best. Which is always a QUEST.

Thanks Kristin, yes it is a QUEST for me too. It is interesting that you have a background in filmmaking. I imagine that is helpful in seeing and telling stories through images that can translate to photography.

• Like 1

During the month of April I was supposed to be in New York City, visiting my youngest daughter and taking pictures of urban life. From there I was flying to Northern Arizona and Colorado to spend two weeks with my son and his family. I would have had a multitude of photo opportunities on those trips. Instead, my daughter has come to live with me, and the few photos I’ve taken recently have been of birds, flowers, alligators, and covid signs seen along our "socially distanced" walks. I’ve also tried taking pics of little creatures like bees and dragonflies, but have nothing upload-worthy at this point. 

I'm still shooting much less  (not even using a peashooter, which is about as armed as I want to be). This seems like a good time to take a break and recharge what's left of my creative batteries. 😷

• Like 1

No politics, religion, or gun views in my thread, please.

Edo

• Upvote 9

On 19/05/2020 at 02:02, Sally R said:

Thanks Kristin, yes it is a QUEST for me too. It is interesting that you have a background in filmmaking. I imagine that is helpful in seeing and telling stories through images that can translate to photography.

I guess so, but telling a story with a single image is very different than telling one with multiple images. The concept of mise-en-scene translates. Which is considering everything in the frame as a whole - the set, colors, context, art direction etc. I find the most helpful skills I learned in film school come from what I learned in cinematography class about light. Yes, "painting with light" was a term thrown around. 😁

No guns or Gods here please! This is supposed to be a supportive forum; photography and stock photography  order of the day. Plates of food a permitted diversion?

• Upvote 3

We had better watch out or Edo will start charging rent for off-topic posts on his threads, which would be his his self-determined right of course. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely shooting much less and have started taking pics of flowers and the like, quite unsuccessfully as I do not have a macro lens! The good news is that I hit my 1000 Alamy sale today. Average price per snap a very decent, IMO, $26! 🙂

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

On 20/05/2020 at 20:52, Cecile Marion said:

During the month of April I was supposed to be in New York City, visiting my youngest daughter and taking pictures of urban life. From there I was flying to Northern Arizona and Colorado to spend two weeks with my son and his family. I would have had a multitude of photo opportunities on those trips. Instead, my daughter has come to live with me, and the few photos I’ve taken recently have been of birds, flowers, alligators, and covid signs seen along our "socially distanced" walks. I’ve also tried taking pics of little creatures like bees and dragonflies, but have nothing upload-worthy at this point. 

Took a peek, and like what I see!  You’re doing just fine finding subjects. Particularly love the flowers.  

Funny how spelling mistakes can slip in. I typed “peak”. Looked at it and realized it should be peek. If I hadn’t stopped and looked at it again, it would have embarrassingly slipped by me. It’s not that we all don’t know the difference...peek, peak, your, you’re, they’re, their, and all the other words that sound alike, but sometimes inattention lets one down.

So..if you see me make mistakes in the future, it’s not that I don’t know better, but that I had a disconnect from my brain. 😊

Betty

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jansos said:

Definitely shooting much less and have started taking pics of flowers and the like, quite unsuccessfully as I do not have a macro lens! The good news is that I hit my 1000 Alamy sale today. Average price per snap a very decent, IMO, $26! 🙂

I've been using an enlarging lens and bellows. Tricky to use but serviceable- nowadays the terrible flare can be sorted out in Lightroom. There are a few on the nature pix thread but I'll put one here...a tomato. B/W mix changed (quite a bit) in LR.

DSC00778.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1