Jump to content
Ed Rooney

Are You Shooting More or Less in the Lockdown?

Recommended Posts

As totally sick of the empty streets here in Liverpool City Centre as I am, I think I may be producing more images. Subjects?

 

2BN70DB.jpg

2BN51ER.jpg

Edo

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less... even though spring is my favourite season for shooting pix. Busy writing, though, which helps to make the lockdown feel more 'normal'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, writers are often in self-imposed lockdown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey Ed,

Don't ask me how, but I somehow managed to end up with my wife and child in Austria and me back in the UK due to Coronavirus #megafacepalm!

So apart from working at home, I actually find myself with lots of free time relatively speaking and apart from guitar, I'm doing a lot of photography.

 

I just randomly discovered a PDF from the local council of all the public art in Basingstoke so I've been making may way round town when the weather's good. And it has been very good during lockdown, kind of rubbing it in our faces! Otherwise, doing some found photography....

 

a-life-sized-bronze-figure-of-jane-auste

 

sailing-by-stars-is-a-bronze-sculpture-b

 

Had a go at panoramas for the first time:

an-aerial-panorama-view-across-basingsto

 

Found photography (kind of!)

online-shoe-shopping-and-ordering-and-a-

 

unboxing-a-honeywell-upright-fan-in-a-ki

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less, unfortunately. My motivation curve seems to have flattened. 😕😐

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Found photography (kind of!)

online-shoe-shopping-and-ordering-and-a-

 

21 minutes ago, Steve F said:

 

 

What's in the Alamy box ! 😁

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AlbertSnapper said:

 

 

What's in the Alamy box ! 😁

 

 Ha ha lol! Hopefully 🤑 ...but probably not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

less.  i'm sheltered in residential east end of Montreal, so not many story, it has been extremely cold spring so far, buds are just coming out on trees... and there is a limit to rainbow images....     finally got my first out of ordinary happening last day with this:

 

2BMGM4M.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm certainly shooting less, as I usually photographed in London, March 7th was the last time. I had caught a train into town and travelled on the tube, there were passengers coughing without covering their mouths and the tube was packed solid. Soon after it would have been too risky for me. Currently I've a backlog of images to caption, tag and upload, all shot on exercise walks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Actually, the new COVID-19 world has put me in something of an existential quandary. I feel that I'm going to have to totally reassess what I've been doing photographically. Not sure where to go from here...

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely shooting less but that is because I shoot a fair amount for regional magazines and businesses and that has all but dried up. I do have a few shoots coming thru but nothing like my old schedule.  I am shooting some stock but not more than I have usually done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

less.  i'm sheltered in residential east end of Montreal, so not many story, it has been extremely cold spring so far, buds are just coming out on trees... and there is a limit to rainbow images....     finally got my first out of ordinary happening last day with this:

 

2BMGM4M.jpg

 

What are they doing exactly? The scene looks a bit sinister.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

What are they doing exactly? The scene looks a bit sinister.

 

putting out a fire with the big hose 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Actually, the new COVID-19 world has put me in something of an existential quandary. I feel that I'm going to have to totally reassess what I've been doing photographically. Not sure where to go from here...

 

 

same here.  i can't see myself hitting the nomad road again..... so now figuring out where i want to crash. once i can move,  for 6 months to figure out next stage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

putting out a fire with the big hose 🙂 

 

I figured it was something like that. When I was a kid living on the South Shore (it was very rural back then), people were always starting fires in the woods. It must be a Quebec thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 people were always starting fires in the woods. It must be a Quebec thing

 

Sadly, it's an Australian thing too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

same here.  i can't see myself hitting the nomad road again..... so now figuring out where i want to crash. once i can move,  for 6 months to figure out next stage

 

I'm a Grey Nomad right now, domestically that is. Fortunately, due to the size of Australia, it means that I could be travelling around forever and still see new places, but as far as future international travels is concerned, a have a horrible feeling that more than one destination on my bucket list will just remain there, on my dream list.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I figured it was something like that. When I was a kid living on the South Shore (it was very rural back then), people were always starting fires in the woods. It must be a Quebec thing

 

yeah, it's a nice wooden area behind Hopital Maisonneuve-Rosemont, so core Montreal east -end.  At least 3 spots where people have done fires to hang out and drink beer.  probably worse this year (though my sister it was still an issue last year)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, gvallee said:

 

I'm a Grey Nomad right now, domestically that is. Fortunately, due to the size of Australia, it means that I could be travelling around forever and still see new places, but as far as future international travels is concerned, a have a horrible feeling that more than one destination on my bucket list will just remain there, on my dream list.

 

 

yeah, i'm likely going to be semi-nomadic in Canada, going 4-6 months per places....  though i am weary of winters, i haven't had a full one in 6 years.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not so much back in April when stay-at-home recommendations were issued in New York (we don't have a "lockdown" so people are free to do what they wish). There was a tense mood of the City with panicked unprepared people rushing supermarkets; and with all the anti-Asian violence and racism around the world, especially rampant in the USA, and I  particular, in nyc I didn't feel that safe walking around. I did take my camera around when grocery shopping.  Later as things calmed down a bit, I went out more. 

 

A few weeks ago I basically decided I better take advantage of this situation of fewer cars on the street to try and grab more storefront images while i still can with fewer parked cars blocking the view.  But as all the rich, and those with means rush back into the city from their upstate and out of state vacation/pandemic homes, they will want to store their cars on public property somewhere.

 

I've also been documenting various things going on, things that the mainstream are not interested in documenting.

Edited by sooth
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am shooting about the same.. just lots of shots taken at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

yeah, i'm likely going to be semi-nomadic in Canada, going 4-6 months per places....  though i am weary of winters, i haven't had a full one in 6 years.   

 

 

 

Life could be challenging for you nomads for quite some time, at least until there is an effective vaccine available (assuming that there will be one). We're lucky in countries like Canada and Australia. We have small populations and good healthcare systems, so the chances that everyone will eventually get vaccinated are fairly good. Third world countries are another story, though. But I digress as usual. 🙃

 

Sometimes shooting less is more...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm shooting about the same amount but struggling for material with the absence of people out and about and all the shops and malls closed. They've even closed down the beaches here , leaving the place like a ghost town. We still have our street markets but frankly social distancing in those places is impossible and as such they now scare me. 

 

And everyone wearing a face mask in what is regarded as The Land of Smiles! 

 

 

 

Edited by ReeRay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

I'm shooting about the same amount but struggling for material with the absence of people out and about and all the shops and malls closed. They've even closed down the beaches here , leaving the place like a ghost town. We still have our street markets but frankly social distancing in those places is impossible and as such they now scare me. 

 

And everyone wearing a face mask in what is regarded as The Land of Smiles! 

 

 

 

 

We're all living in "The Land of Masks" now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was supposed have spent 3 weeks in Portugal and Spain cycling from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela in April and would have come home with a few thousand photos but all cancelled so have occasionally wandered around my home town of Perth and taking some photos but nowhere near the amount when I go on holidays.

Edited by domf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.