Olivier Parent

2020 May Favorite Uploads

Posted (edited)

Two pictures of Kirkjufell mountain and Kirkjufellfoss (lower and upper falls) in Snæfellsnes peninsula, near the town of Grundarfjörður, in Iceland.

iceland-kirkjufell-mountain-and-kirkjufe

iceland-kirkjufell-mountain-and-kirkjufe

Edited by Olivier Parent
  • Like 8

Something a bit different.

a-homeless-man-in-a-wheelchair-on-a-train-station-platform-during-a-rainy-night-calgary-alberta-canada-2BJC8NM.jpg

• Like 6

Silvertip Golf Course above Canmore, Alberta.   Very late spring this year and lovely little tarn is still largely frozen:

frozen-lake-and-distant-snowy-rocky-moun

Canadian Pacific Train near Canmore, Alberta in Springtime.   Image exclusive to Alamy

canadian-pacific-freight-train-railway-a

• Like 1

I saw this scene whilst making deliveries in sunny Devon the other day. The colourful garden looks like something from a fish tank !

The closed down Black Cat Garage, and adjacent occupied residential property, on the A396 road in mid-Devon, south west England, UK. Stock Photo

The closed down Black Cat Garage, and adjacent occupied residential property, on the A396 road in mid-Devon, south west England, UK.

this is my current extent of travel.  small wooded area, 2km away from sheltering spot

bunch-of-yellow-trout-lily-erythronium-americanum-in-bloom-on-forest-floor-2BK8N5P.jpg

Last week I managed to get authorisation to go out into the Costa Adeje tourist areas to make photos.

What I found was both beautiful and sad, beaches and walkways that would normally be full of tourists are deserted.

Here's a few of my favourites...

2BK74B7.jpg

2BJPNDM.jpg

2BJPN8F.jpg

2BJPN7K.jpg

Phil

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Last week I managed to get authorisation to go out into the Costa Adeje tourist areas to make photos.

What I found was both beautiful and sad, beaches and walkways that would normally be full of tourists are deserted.

Phil, interesting photos above.

I guess some people may be happy with the peace ?

Let's hope some tourists can put some money in to local economies before the season is out.

Phil

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Let's hope some tourists can put some money in to local economies before the season is out.

Phil

Thanks...

The economic fallout is going to be a major problem. Tourism is the number 1 industry here...

Phil

Just now, AlbertSnapper said:

Phil

i have no issues with places that depend on tourism trying to get their economy rolling, but i find fascinating that everything a read about doing so talks about the safety of the visitors, with little thinking into the safety of the people who will host them....  one person infected coming in could set a place back weeks or months....  

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

i have no issues with places that depend on tourism trying to get their economy rolling, but i find fascinating that everything a read about doing so talks about the safety of the visitors, with little thinking into the safety of the people who will host them....  one person infected coming in could set a place back weeks or months....  

There is actually a lot of thought going into just that...

Talk of testing people before they depart their home airport, developing a contact tracing app which will be a requirement so that there 

will be a record of where they go and whom they come into contact with.

Nothing definitive in place yet but it is a serious concern, I'm glad to see as most of my clients are from outside!

Phil

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

developing a contact tracing app which will be a requirement

I'll be stuffed then, I don't have a smartphone. Bye bye Spain.

And talking of airport testing, who's going to take the chance if an airport can decide to cancel your holiday before you even take off?

Edited by spacecadet

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

And talking of airport testing, who's going to take the chance if an airport can decide to cancel your holiday before you even take off?

These are just some of the issues🤔

However nothing has been decided yet, but I'm glad that there is some serious thought going into how we can travel safely for both the traveller and the people at the destinations.

Phil

Edited by Phil Crean
Addition

3 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

There is actually a lot of thought going into just that...

Talk of testing people before they depart their home airport, developing a contact tracing app which will be a requirement so that there 

will be a record of where they go and whom they come into contact with.

Nothing definitive in place yet but it is a serious concern, I'm glad to see as most of my clients are from outside!

Phil

good. because i read so many forums of activity which involve travelling ( camino pilgrims, nomads etc) and i don't see much comments related to the safety of the host, which i find really troubling....  some of them want in as soon as "border opens" regardless.....   

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

test is better.  if you can be denied boarding for having any  symptoms, and runny nose is one, as someone allergic to pollen, dusts etc i'm not moving for the next 18 months...  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

2BK74B7.jpg

2BJPNDM.jpg

2BJPN8F.jpg

2BJPN7K.jpg

Phil

Phil,

Love the images and they illustrate the current story.

Chuck

11 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Phil,

Love the images and they illustrate the current story.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck 

Phil

Posted (edited)

A sequence of an Orange Potter Wasp (Eumenes latreilli) building a nest and stocking the larder.

This was a good way to beat self-isolation boredom as it happened less than 2m away from my motorhome where I'm hunkered up.

2BKDFYX.jpg

2BKDG1J.jpg

2BKDG38.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Beautiful Two Jack Lake, Banff National Park Canada;  image taken on May 2, 2020:

two-jack-mountain-lake-early-springtime-

Lake is still partially frozen as spring has been delayed 2-3 weeks this year.   Vehicle Access to Canadian National Parks has been closed due to COVID-19 Pandemic, so there is less traffic and far less people resulting in unusual clear and crisp conditions.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

While I'm confined to Basingstoke, I'm exploring a lot of the public art on my daily walks, and by researching the photos, finding out a lot of interesting things about where I live.

Sailing by Stars is a bronze sculpture by Sarah Tombs and represents a family in a boat on a journey on Basingstoke Canal (which actually starts 5 miles away from Basingstoke because it got filled in, but hey!)

sailing-by-stars-is-a-bronze-sculpture-b

L'Arc - one of two figures holding a curved pole that was inspired by Basingstoke's industrial past and close links with its European twin towns

larc-one-of-two-figures-holding-a-curved

A carved panel in paving stones representing Basingstoke's links and connection with Europe. Here is engraved SPQR Pax Romana in Latin.

SPQR is an abbreviation for Senātus Populusque Rōmānus. In English it reads as "The Roman Senate and People", or more freely "The Senate and People of Rome", is an emblematic abbreviated phrase referring to the government of the ancient Roman Republic.

The Pax Romana (Latin for "Roman Peace") is a roughly 200-year-long period in Roman history which is identified with increased and sustained inner hegemonial peace and stability.

a-carved-panel-in-paving-stones-represen
Edited by Steve F

This  image of Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park, taken on May 1 2020.  Vehicle access to Canada National Parks has been closed because of COVID-19, but I live close enough & was able to cycle

panoramic-landscape-view-of-frozen-lake-

Image is really sound technically.  Canon EOS 6D with 24-105L lens, stitch of 4 frames.   As this is Photography Forum, want to say few words about this lens.  It generally has good reviews, but I am getting less and less happy with it.  It is just too soft in the corners when shot at 24mm & I often end up cropping a bit or doing some PS tricks. Shooting 35mm or higher is ok.   But when shooting panos composed of several frames stitched together later problem is naturally gone & result is sharp as a whistle.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Confined to a small radius of where we live, opportunties are limited, but a short walk brought me to our local James Steel park and pond, which, despite a month with hardly any rain,  is overfilled and has flooded the footpath. Rumour has it there is a dispute over who has responsibility for clearing the culvert which appears to be blocked.

The pond in James Steel park, Washington, Tyne and Wear, England, UK - Stock Image

The pond in James Steel park, Washington, Tyne and Wear, England, UK - Stock Image

Edited by Bryan
  • Upvote 1

The life cycle of a Shield Bug (Poecilometis darwini) laying eggs on my mosquito net.

2BME22K.jpg

2BME236.jpg

2BME23W.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2BME26C.jpg

2BME21G.jpg

2BME248.jpg

2BME200.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

That's amazing, Gen.

Paulette

54 minutes ago, NYCat said:

That's amazing, Gen.

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. I can't say that insects sell terribly well on Alamy but at least I am enjoying myself. All shot during lockdown.