On 08/05/2020 at 06:49, Bryan said:

Times2

Susie Kearley  Statue of a Pharaoh. The Egyptian Gallery - a Permanent exhibition at the British Museum, London, UK - Image ID: R748CT

Hello Bryan, Thank you for flagging this for me. I have not been paid and Alamy has told me that they cannot pursue it as I don't have proof. They also ask whether I can confirm it was in print and not online? I assume Times 2 is a print publication?

Response from Alamy: "Unfortunately without proof of use we’re unable to look into it. Can you confirm if this use was just in print rather than online?"

Also, they used one of my photos that you flagged twice in August... I have not been paid for this and expect it to go the same way. Any chance you have a link to the item below? You said it was used in Sunday Times online  on 22nd and 23rd August. Due to their paywall, I cannot view The Times travel pages. Do you have links for these two?

Links or photographic proof seem to be the only way to make these people pay. I dread to think how many are being used without my knowledge.

On 23/08/2020 at 06:32, Bryan said:

Susie Kearley   Hotel with pool at Bekonscot Model Village, Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, England. UK - Image ID: M6EF13

4 minutes ago, Susie K said:

Hello Bryan, Thank you for flagging this for me. I have not been paid and Alamy has told me that they cannot pursue it as I don't have proof. They also ask whether I can confirm it was in print and not online? I assume Times 2 is a print publication?

Response from Alamy: "Unfortunately without proof of use we’re unable to look into it. Can you confirm if this use was just in print rather than online?"

Also, they used one of my photos that you flagged twice in August... I have not been paid for this and expect it to go the same way. Any chance you have a link to the item below? You said it was used in Sunday Times online  on 22nd and 23rd August. Due to their paywall, I cannot view The Times travel pages. Do you have links for these two?

Links or photographic proof seem to be the only way to make these people pay. I dread to think how many are being used without my knowledge.

Susie Kearley   Hotel with pool at Bekonscot Model Village, Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, England. UK - Image ID: M6EF13

R748CT and M6EF13  come up in a GIS but you can't click through as it's paywalled. Alamy may accept the screenshot of the GIS, or if they have an account.

The second one won't report for a couple of months.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

R748CT and M6EF13  come up in a GIS but you can't click through as it's paywalled. Alamy may accept the screenshot of the GIS, or if they have an account.

The second one won't report for a couple of months.

Thank you. Glad you've identified it online. I don't know how to take a screenshot of a GIS. What is a GIS anyway!

Just now, Susie K said:

Thank you. Glad you've identified it online. I don't know how to take a screenshot of a GIS. What is a GIS anyway!

Google image search.

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Google image search.

Oh I see. Just tried that, and it brings up the Alamy image (on Alamy), but not the Times website. Am I searching wrong? What search terms do you use? The image number and times?

52 minutes ago, Susie K said:

Hi Susie

I don't have access to back copies of the Times beyond 6 days and all of my finds are from the online version, so, unfortunately, I am unable to help.

At one time libraries kept back copies of newspapers but I doubt if you will be able to access them with Covid restrictions in place.

Further, I can't guarantee that my findings are 100% accurate as the Times only normally provides the photographer's name if it is a live news usage, others I have to ferret out using whatever tools come to hand, and they are not always correct. If it's any consolation the Times used one of my images ages ago as a part of a montage and I never saw any payment for that. To be honest the sums involved are hardly  worth chasing, although, as a matter of principle, I guess we should always do so when the evidence is available and clear.

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Hi Susie

I don't have access to back copies of the Times beyond 6 days and all of my finds are from the online version, so, unfortunately, I am unable to help.

At one time libraries kept back copies of newspapers but I doubt if you will be able to access them with Covid restrictions in place.

Further, I can't guarantee that my findings are 100% accurate as the Times only normally provides the photographer's name if it is a live news usage, others I have to ferret out using whatever tools come to hand, and they are not always correct. If it's any consolation the Times used one of my images ages ago as a part of a montage and I never saw any payment for that. To be honest the sums involved are hardly  worth chasing, although, as a matter of principle, I guess we should always do so when the evidence is available and clear.

Thanks Bryan.

20 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Susie, using the above link as an example, clicking on the actual thumbnail of the image in Google's results brings up the image results page on Google. Right click on the larger image here, then select 'View image' in Firefox - or similar wording in other browsers. This will take you to the page where the image is stored on The Times servers (I will not post a link here, as it links to a FS image).  Use this as proof to Alamy that they have used your image.

Usually, I would always save a copy of any pages (inc Google search results pages, where possible) to the Internet Archive (Wayback Machine) for further backup in case anything changes. This is difficult (impossible?) to do in the case of this particular image page, as the parameters passed to the Archive are not contained directly within the URI.

For future reference, there is an Extension ('add-on') for FF - and doubtless other browsers - which simplifies saving pages to the WB Machine. It is produced by the organisation themselves, so works well (usually! :) ) and is maintained well - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/user/12373129/.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Susie, using the above link as an example, clicking on the actual thumbnail of the image in Google's results brings up the image results page on Google. Right click on the larger image here, then select 'View image' in Firefox - or similar wording in other browsers. This will take you to the page where the image is stored on The Times servers (I will not post a link here, as it links to a FS image).  Use this as proof to Alamy that they have used your image.

Usually, I would always save a copy of any pages (inc Google search results pages, where possible) to the Internet Archive (Wayback Machine) for further backup in case anything changes. This is difficult (impossible?) to do in the case of this particular image page, as the parameters passed to the Archive are not contained directly within the URI.

For future reference, there is an Extension ('add-on') for FF - and doubtless other browsers - which simplifies saving pages to the WB Machine. It is produced by the organisation themselves, so works well (usually! :) ) and is maintained well - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/user/12373129/.

Best of luck.

Thank you Losdemas. I appreciate that.

5 minutes ago, Susie K said:

Thank you Losdemas. I appreciate that.

NP. :)