mobile phone images slipping through QC

1 minute ago, Matt Ashmore said:

But what is your % rate for Stockimo sales? Judging by the fact that you registered on the forum in 2006, you probably are on 40 or 50% so you are one of the exceptions to the point. But for (I would suspect the majority of people) me, I would have earned half as much as you did as I only get 20% .. yet the same image uploaded to Alamy 'normally' earns me 40-50%. 

Stockimo wasn't running then- there weren't any smartphones anyway. I remember it starting in about 2015 or later.

37 minutes ago, Regis said:

I have photographs on both Alamy and Stockimo.

My last two sales on Stockimo each brought in for me, more money that the sale I got today on Alamy.

And in the past year that is a repeating pattern.

Once in a while I get a better sale on Alamy.

So it all depends I guess.

Us too. Joined Stockimo at the beginning so we get 50%. 

Last Alamy sale we got 50% so made $8

Last S. sale we cleared $18. Same image has sold 4 times now, lastly in The Guardian and Countrylife magazine.

• Love 2

11 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

But what is your % rate for Stockimo sales? Judging by the fact that you registered on the forum in 2006, you probably are on 40 or 50% so you are one of the exceptions to the point. But for (I would suspect the majority of people) me, I would have earned half as much as you did as I only get 20% .. yet the same image uploaded to Alamy 'normally' earns me 40-50%. 

I am at 50% with Stockimo.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Stockimo wasn't running then- there weren't any smartphones anyway. I remember it starting in about 2015 or later.

Point is, he was an existing Alamy contributor in 2015 when Stockimo started hence he gets 50% rather than 20%. Anyone who has signed up since only gets 20%.

On 06/05/2020 at 12:33, Betty LaRue said:

iPhones have one operating system. No matter which model iPhone you have, the app design is the same. It encompasses them all.

Android, on the other hand, have many different companies making them. Each have their own proprietary systems. To design for Android, Alamy would have to spend the bucks for each and every Android company and solve any bugs that crop up in the app.

Alamy stated something along these lines back when St****mo was first started up in response to the questions Android owners had.

Betty

I don't have an iPhone so I am not familiar with Stockimo but if an android phone produced .jpg images that were as good as an iPhone I don't see why they wouldn't be acceptable.  

You do more than just submit your image with Stockimo. All the captions and tags must be done with the app. I'm an idiot about this technical stuff but I suspect it involves programming that is standard with Apple and that other companies would require something different.

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

You do more than just submit your image with Stockimo. All the captions and tags must be done with the app. I'm an idiot about this technical stuff but I suspect it involves programming that is standard with Apple and that other companies would require something different.

Paulette

That’s true, Pauline. I had a 13 megapixel Android phone a few years back. It took very good pictures and that was when iPhones were only 8mp.
How many companies make androids? Half a dozen? More? Each company has its own proprietary operating system. Each one would have to be treated technologically different from each other. An app for Samsung. A different app for Nokia. And so on.

An iPhone is an iPhone. Same operating system no matter which model you have. So the app for the iPhone and not the androids is a no-brainer. It has nothing to do with what phone takes the best pictures.  The Android I had 6-7 years ago was the best I owned for years, but I think the iPhone has better dynamic range now.

Actually it would be interesting to see if an 'app' developer might comment. My understanding is that apps can be developed to run on Mac iOS or Android but that within each of those domains there wouldn't need to be different versions for each manufacturer despite the fact that different manufacturers do indeed have slightly customised versions of Android themselves. Still, creating an Android version of the app is no small task and it would need to be constantly developed to keep up with developments but on the other hand it would open 'S' up to the vast population of users using phones with cameras potentially every bit as good as Iphones, or indeed better. It may just be that there are just so many different types of Android phones with varying qualities of camera that creating QC rules would be too difficult.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s true, Pauline. I had a 13 megapixel Android phone a few years back. It took very good pictures and that was when iPhones were only 8mp.
How many companies make androids? Half a dozen? More? Each company has its own proprietary operating system. Each one would have to be treated technologically different from each other. An app for Samsung. A different app for Nokia. And so on.

An iPhone is an iPhone. Same operating system no matter which model you have. So the app for the iPhone and not the androids is a no-brainer. It has nothing to do with what phone takes the best pictures.  The Android I had 6-7 years ago was the best I owned for years, but I think the iPhone has better dynamic range now.

I'm not sure that that's true. They do all have the same operating system kernel, the same core and that is 'Android' (hence the name associated with these phones). Different companies do add the own bells and whistles on top but they all fundamentally run Android. That is why you can buy/download Apps from the Google Play Store regardless of whether the phone is a Samsung or a Huwaei.

• Like 2

Joined Stockimo back then, and submitted a handful of images.  The whole Stockimo thing is a great idea gives one a chance to get creative with filters and such.  Would have continued contributing but I had an iPhone 5S at the time and got rid of it after three months when I realized it was trying to control me and tell me what to do.  I prefer to control my devices and not the other way around; switched to android and even managed to install Lineage OS and some apps from Fdroid on the Xperia Z2 after hours spent on Github and other places, works fine and I have much more control.  I'll repeat what has already been said, too bad Alamy did not make an app available for android users, that is automatically excluding a large number of contributors and there are several android phones that output higher quality images than iPhones and are just better for photography.  We'll never know, I suppose; but maybe Alamy had a deal with either Apple or the developer of the app who only programs for IOS.  Will wait and hope that an app will be available at some point for the rest of us and in the meantime will practice taking pictures with the phone more. I do actually have very little practice shooting with mobiles, very clumsy and fingers always end up covering the lens; will have to learn and keep up or will get left behind.

Helen

Edited by hsessions
  • Love 1