RAW+JPEG pros and cons

It's interesting that no one has mentioned the in-camera fixes that some cameras (e.g.Sony) now have for lens distortion and CA. As far as I know, these features are only available in JPEG mode, so shooting RAW+JPEG could conceivably provide the best of both worlds for extreme control freaks.

My current cameras don't have these fixes, but the next one I buy will. It would useful to hear from some JPEG-only fans (we know you're out there) who are  taking advantage of this new technology. Is it worthwhile?

Thats done in LR or ACR where the RAW file is processed. I dont need my in camera settings for that nor the JPG. Its a simple 3 click batch process in LR. 

Yup, image distortion and CA fixed in LR using lens profiles that come with the software or you can write yourself (not myself, I've no idea how to do it!).

Not sure that NEX JPGs would include correction for third party lenses, e.g. Sigma 19mm, but LR does.

Only shoot raw for stock, but can see why you would want to use JPG for news. I find JPGs frustrating to deal with, after having used the tools available for raw files

Main reason to use JPEG, if you do, is that the colour rendering and contrast curve often make Adobe conversions look flat and dull. As stated above, it can be next to impossible to get LR/ACR to mimic the results of a JPEG. Oddly enough though... Capture One and DxO Optics Pro both do an amazingly good job producing colour and tonality every bit as good as the camera's dedicated process and often well beyond.

Might be worth noting that, on Nikon files at least (I don't know about others), the jpeg is embedded in the raw file whether or not you select the raw+jpeg option.  I believe the embedded jpeg is used for the camera monitor display.

If you've only shot in raw but need jpegs in a hurry there are some utilities available for extracting the jpeg without altering the raw file.  I use 'Preview Extractor' (Nikon only) but the original website doesn't seem to be there any more.  However I think this is the same one, though I haven't checked it myself...

http://www.mydigitalphoto.info/downloads.htm

Archived