Thanks for that Bob. I had to dig down into the Ts&Cs to find the exception that you highlighted, but it makes sense now.

I agree with you, it would need a good number of licences at current prices to generate that sort of revenue.

59 minutes ago, BobD said:

Zerene personal edition licence states.

Personal Edition cannot be used to support any other corporate, organizational, or government activity, including funded research and documentation of scientific collections, or in connection with any other activity that produces income or other tangible reward greater than the cost of a Professional Edition license.

It's hard to see how a term like that would be fair, enforceable in the UK, or even how a breach would be detected.

11 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's hard to see how a term like that would be fair, enforceable in the UK, or even how a breach would be detected.

They obviously rely on honesty when it comes to individuals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

5 minutes ago, BobD said:

They obviously rely on honesty when it comes to individuals.

Again a matter more of ethics than legality. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's not unethical to ask questions about the legal basis of contract terms, is it?

17 minutes ago, MDM said:

Again a matter more of ethics than legality. 

In a contract term that purports to limit one's use of a product, I think  it's exactly about contract law.

Edited by spacecadet

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's not unethical to ask questions about the legal basis of contract terms, is it?

In a contract term that purports to limit one's use of a product, I think  it's exactly about contract law.

People work hard to produce software and, if I decide to use it, then I will pay for it according to what is asked. To me there are no grey areas. If I use something professionally then I will purchase a professional licence. But each to his own. Life is potentially too short for this type of semantics.

I actually bought Helicon Focus anyway which is cheaper and the licence is not limited in the same way as Zerene.

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 2

I think this is a useful page for Extreme Macro  http://extreme-macro.co.uk/focus-stacking/

And for general, and larger subjects  http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I've been dabbling in this recently, nothing wonderful or amazing. I hit projects, work on them, move to something else, move to something else.

I've been told by someone who does extreme macro and some amazing work, (in other words I haven't reached that point yet) that moving the camera is best, because the lighting stays constant.

Recent project, home made, the rail which is controlled by Arduino, and has a stepper motor that moves in very small increments. AKA macro rail. 😉

the-rail-test-jan-2020.jpg

Lab scissors stand is very useful for getting the subject in the right place, straight on to the camera.

The Aluminum blob is a poor subject and the rock wasn't much better.

heart-rock-stacked-web.jpg

The microscope optic on the macro lens, wasn't the best idea either. So I had to order adapters and tubes.

Software, free = I like free:  http://www.picolay.de/

Not as good as the pay software that has been suggested, but it works.

Listed as free for non-commercial purposes.

hoverfly-03.jpg

Not Mine, example on the Picolay site

I hope there's something useful in all that for someone just interested in the adventure and trying.

Oh I left out, I also have a macro lens and extension tubes, so no added equipment or expense for the average person with a macro lens and tubes. Everything manual.

6 minutes ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Good one, posted as I was writing. Nice and simple, uses what pretty much everyone here will already have, including Photoshop.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Klinger said:

I think this is a useful page for Extreme Macro  http://extreme-macro.co.uk/focus-stacking/

And for general, and larger subjects  http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I've been dabbling in this recently, nothing wonderful or amazing. I hit projects, work on them, move to something else, move to something else.

I've been told by someone who does extreme macro and some amazing work, (in other words I haven't reached that point yet) that moving the camera is best, because the lighting stays constant.

Recent project, home made, the rail which is controlled by Arduino, and has a stepper motor that moves in very small increments. AKA macro rail. 😉

the-rail-test-jan-2020.jpg

Lab scissors stand is very useful for getting the subject in the right place, straight on to the camera.

The Aluminum blob is a poor subject and the rock wasn't much better.

heart-rock-stacked-web.jpg

The microscope optic on the macro lens, wasn't the best idea either. So I had to order adapters and tubes.

Software, free = I like free:  http://www.picolay.de/

Not as good as the pay software that has been suggested, but it works.

Listed as free for non-commercial purposes.

hoverfly-03.jpg

Not Mine, example on the Picolay site

I hope there's something useful in all that for someone just interested in the adventure and trying.

Oh I left out, I also have a macro lens and extension tubes, so no added equipment or expense for the average person with a macro lens and tubes. Everything manual.

Interesting setup, you inspired me to by a scissors stage, I've always struggled to get an exact height.

20 hours ago, BobD said:

Interesting setup, you inspired me to by a scissors stage, I've always struggled to get an exact height.

Thank You, just some ideas to kick around. I got that one on eBay, hardly expensive, has sharp edges on the bottom of the tray. I don't know if I want to tape them or get out a rasp. 🙂 I only got that, after I got the rail working and discovered, alignment was important, all directions. I use it for the copy stand, overhead macro and shots too.

Part of my problems with this has been, the camera moves sometimes as the stepper adjusts the camera distance. Weight. A smaller lighter camera, balanced, wouldn't have that as much. There's also some play in the screw, so I start short of the point I want to allow the lash in the drive to work out. Then shoot a few extra, in case.

microscope-on-lens-2020.jpg

Here's a real stack and a mess. Step down rings, and a polarizing filter. Mounted the microscope objective to a lens.

microscope-test-01.jpg

Close up of a sugar cookie. 🙂